Max Crew

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Is this referring to a post of something you saw or just in general? I would assume that MAX crew would have something to do with Life-support (lore friendly) or it could mean Max capacity for that particular ship's instance/instances (Tech limitations). So, like an Idris will have more "instances" throughout its various areas and can support more players/NPCs than a starfarer would because it is both physically larger and designed with a larger crew in mind (with different rooms sometimes being completely separate instances that you never recognize as a separate space because you can see into it). So I bet if you crammed a hundred people into a starfarer's cargo hold, that instance may start to freak out and come to a crawl.....then again I could be full of shit. We won't know for sure until they release the details on their new netcode.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Thing is, max crew is misleading. For instance the Freelancer DUR is a max crew of 2 people, yet it has seats for pilot, co-pilot, plus two others (repair and turret?) Also, there are 4 beds. To me, this seems like the max crew should be 4, not two.

Honestly, I think a lot of stuff just got made up, we have not been told what's going on, and that things will change crew-wise because they have to.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Thing is, max crew is misleading. For instance the Freelancer DUR is a max crew of 2 people, yet it has seats for pilot, co-pilot, plus two others (repair and turret?)
This was something that I was thinking too. Max crew could simply mean how many "duty stations" are available in said ship that can be manned by an NPC or player. LET THE WILD SPECULATION PROCEED!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Someone made a nice observation in a vid I saw the other day, that ideally you might want 3 crew in a Sentinel, if you want to run the top gun and do EM Warfare stuff both at once. While I am accustomed to thinking of it as a two person ship, there are instances where you might like three crew aboard. And what happens with the Hoplite, that it can suddenly take 6 more folks? Is that all from added life support and could you avoid that for short periods if everyone wore EVA suits? Certainly you could have 6 players stand in any of the other variants.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Someone made a nice observation in a vid I saw the other day, that ideally you might want 3 crew in a Sentinel, if you want to run the top gun and do EM Warfare stuff both at once. While I am accustomed to thinking of it as a two person ship, there are instances where you might like three crew aboard. And what happens with the Hoplite, that it can suddenly take 6 more folks? Is that all from added life support and could you avoid that for short periods if everyone wore EVA suits? Certainly you could have 6 players stand in any of the other variants.
I believe that we are overthinking it a bit when we are dealing with small numbers like this. As far as CIG has said, if it fits, it ships. The inside of the ship has air, the outside doesnt. It would probably be pretty difficult to build in an oxygen consumption system that tracks each individual's usage in a pressurized environment. They will probably take the easy approach and not try to calculate all that crazyness. That way they can shrug that consideration off by saying "Future science is really good at oxygen production" Then again, they have surprised me in the past....

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
keeping with the DUR example. Max crew of 2. 1, by default is the pilot. the second could be scanner/shields/turret as required. the other two seats, and "beds" could easily be paying customers.
Let's not take the military aspect of Max Crew, which does not count attached units, the maximum number of personnel required for optimal utility into perspective of crew of a Freelancer, which is a Winnebago with Cargo capacity.

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
I seem to think Max Crew means the amount of seats that are available. A hunch tells me you can probably put as many people as you want on a ship, but whether any characters or material not strapped down, won't be able to survive a jump or warp.......I bet a couple of extra peeps could stow away in the bunks to survive a jump or warp.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I would figure the max crew stats on the website is probably as out of date as the cargo stats. Frankly, I always figured the back two seats on a Freelancer would be given periscope control of the unmanned turrets (like the Super Hornet), but that seems less and less likely as things go forward.

The EVA hud in the GamesCon demo had fuel and oxygen stats for the flight suits, not just for the ship. So there will likely be some form of mechanics related to those. If you are a passenger who is relying on your suit's resources to breathe, you may not be able to make such a long trip as fewer people on board would.
I was in the camp that wanted food and water necessities in game, so I'm looking forward to some basic personal survival maintenance in game, even if it's only keeping your magical space pajamas functional.

Forgot your password?