Melt the Nautilus for the Ares?

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
I am thinking of melting my hammerhead and nautilus to obtain the pack that contains both ares, a hammerhead and a retaliator.
I think it's a decent trade. I lose the nautilus but gain both ares and a retaliator

What say you?

edit: actually.. nevermind this. I am doing it.

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
If end up doing don't feel bad about it. The Nautilus will still be in your buybacks.
IMO the reason I didn't buy the Nautilus on release is #1 the price and #2 limited use #3 won't be available to fly probably for a long time #4 Space isn't 2D, the amount of mines required to make it really difficult for someone to gain access to say a moon base or large asteroid base is insane... not worth it imo.

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
yep.. all valid points.. but the big one for me is that you have to MAINTAIN the deployed mines.
No thanks, sounds too much like a job

So yeah, I melted them and got the pack. Don't think I will miss the Nautilus but if I want I can buy it back.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If end up doing don't feel bad about it. The Nautilus will still be in your buybacks.
IMO the reason I didn't buy the Nautilus on release is #1 the price and #2 limited use #3 won't be available to fly probably for a long time #4 Space isn't 2D, the amount of mines required to make it really difficult for someone to gain access to say a moon base or large asteroid base is insane... not worth it imo.
I feel the same way. Love the idea, but then I use my realistic brain on it, and it doesn't make sense. Same as the Mantis. Space is too big

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Honestly the only thing that keeps me from buying ships like a Nautilus or Polaris is the crew requirement, I feel the pressure to have a full human crew will be high and if you don't have a ton of time to play which I don't it makes running or operating these larger ships much more difficult imo. Outside of that I love these ships and if I were retired or not working because I won the lottery I would be operating them for sure lol

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Honestly the only thing that keeps me from buying ships like a Nautilus or Polaris is the crew requirement, I feel the pressure to have a full human crew will be high and if you don't have a ton of time to play which I don't it makes running or operating these larger ships much more difficult imo. Outside of that I love these ships and if I were retired or not working because I won the lottery I would be operating them for sure lol
Yeah man. I used to have a bunch of them big ships. I liquidated because time and crew. I don't have the time, and I'd rather just be the crew. So I'll serve on ships for all my TEST buddies, and keep ships I can use alone (for the most part) to be part of fleet action etc.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Every 2nd person in the verse will own an Ares or 2. You could easily get your hands on one anytime. Who is going to have a Nautilus for you to borrow if you need one? Always go by rarity I say.

Edit: Some day there will be a use for it and we won't have enough around :( , my 2 cents

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Good question, can you QT through a minefield? I mean if it just happened to be in your way the odds are prolly astronomical but its a good question.
So far QT doesn't seem to take into consideration anything other than moons and planets in the way of the target location. So I'd fully expect to be able to QT through a minefield.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So far QT doesn't seem to take into consideration anything other than moons and planets in the way of the target location. So I'd fully expect to be able to QT through a minefield.
Hmmmmm, that's interesting. One would think they'd want player objects to affect vessels in quantum. Otherwise, we'd simply be able to quantum through, well, everything - aside from moons and planets. Which would reduce the effectiveness of things like mine fields.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hmmmmm, that's interesting. One would think they'd want player objects to affect vessels in quantum. Otherwise, we'd simply be able to Austin through, well, everything - aside from moons and planets. Which would reduce the effectiveness of things like mine fields.
When you spool up QT it does take into consideration objects in your path within a few km out. But I understand not wanting to calculate all of the objects in your path as that would be a huge load on the server along with the little code tricks they do in QT interdiction dropping you in front of asteroids or other things that technically don't exist as a permitted in-game items but are created dynamically in that moment. This way my qt interdiction being dumped out at a lone asteroid field to have some entertaining pirate dogfighting doesn't impact your trade route flight along a similar path.

They talked about this a little when they introduced the Mantis as it required changing some of the QT logic to allow for players to interdiction each other and future NPC's. Its much easier for a server to randomly say you are being interdiction and dynamically create the content around you as you drop out of warp then it is to say your warp path takes you into a pre-existing interdiction bubble.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Hmmmmm, that's interesting. One would think they'd want player objects to affect vessels in quantum. Otherwise, we'd simply be able to Austin through, well, everything - aside from moons and planets. Which would reduce the effectiveness of things like mine fields.
The way I look at it, the minefield usage is that it targets ships physically entering an area. If you QT to inside the range of a minefield, then it would detect you and you'd be subject to the minefields missile attacks. But if your QT traverses a minefield, as long as it continues through and beyond it's range, the minefield would have no effect on you. Keep in mind your QT velocity is somewhere in the vicinity of 20% C or about 60,000,000 m/s so in one second you would be far beyond the range of any missile.

Ideally, to do this what you'd want is to have a quantum interdiction such that an interdiction occurs, and dumps the victim into the minefield. Then they would be vulnerable. Not only vulnerable, but for precious seconds they would not be able to do anything about the situation. That seems to me to be a tall order to set this up, but you theoretically could.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?