MicroProse and the 100th Bomb Group Foundation collaborate on a new B-17 Flying Fortress game

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
For some of you who have grandparents who were in WWII, or just WWII Buffs, Bomber Squadron fans in general this is pretty freaking cool for sure.

I actually have kept in contact with the 100th Bomb Group Foundation ever since I heard about this project and it looks like it is now 100% confirmed. With new HMD's like the Reverb G2 this will be absolutely thrilling and as real as it has ever been one can presume.

Would you like to know more?

I will have more info sooner or later as I know the Community Manager of MP.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Microprose, now there is a name I have not heard in roughly a quarter of a century - is that the original company or is it a rebadge revival of the name?
Yeah, they have been making a comeback for some time now. They are doing some cool stuff. They have some real OG's of the industry. I just think that this will be super cool to do with my friends and fam and some of you testies.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I've been wanting a good B-17 game for awhile, something about WW2 air combat just feels good.
Yeah there's just something legendary....if not noble about air combat in that era. It truly was the golden age of air to air combat. This was a time when pilots could actually see their opponents instead of knocking them out 50 miles away. In a war where soldiers and civilians were experiencing unimaginable suffering on the ground, the pilots in the air where someone above it (even though they themselves suffered greatly). As a kid I was obsessed about WW2 era planes. P-51 Mustangs, BF109s, Spitfires, Zeros, etc. Bombers like the B17 and the Lancaster. Battles like the Battle of Britain. Famous operations like the Dambusters Raid and the Doolittle Raid. Aces like Erich Hartmann, Johnnie Johnson, Saburo Sakai, etc. Yeah I loved it all. 10 year old me went to an air show one year. Airforce jock there was eager to show off his modern F-15 and asked me whether I thought it was cool. I remember telling him it's cool but not as cool as the P-51 Mustang around the corner. Dude gave me an appreciative nod. 😆

I mean turret gameplay in this game is heavily inspired by what we saw in Star Wars. The turret designs in ships like the Millennium Falcon in turn was inspired by none other than bombers like the B17. It all comes around full circle. 👍

Anywho...yeah I loved Microprose back in the day and will look at this project with great interest. I am excite.

Last edited:

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Yeah there's just something legendary....if not noble about air combat in that era. It truly was the golden age of air to air combat. This was a time when pilots could actually see their opponents instead of knocking them out 50 miles away. In a war where soldiers and civilians were experiencing unimaginable suffering on the ground, the pilots in the air where someone above it (even though they themselves suffered greatly). As a kid I was obsessed about WW2 era planes. P-51 Mustangs, BF109s, Spitfires, Zeros, etc. Bombers like the B17 and the Lancaster. Battles like the Battle of Britain. Famous operations like the Dambusters Raid and the Doolittle Raid. Aces like Erich Hartmann, Johnnie Johnson, Saburo Sakai, etc. Yeah I loved it all. 10 year old me went to an air show one year. Airforce jock there was eager to show off his modern F-15 and asked me whether I thought it was cool. I remember telling him it's cool but not as cool as the P-51 Mustang around the corner. Dude gave me an appreciative nod. 😆

I mean turret gameplay in this game is heavily inspired by what we saw in Star Wars. The turret designs in ships like the Millennium Falcon in turn was inspired by none other than bombers like the B17. It all comes around full circle. 👍

Anywho...yeah I loved Microprose back in the day and will look at this project with great interest. I am excite.

We also got moments like this in that period.

View: https://youtu.be/dslO-3GgenY

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Microprose, now there is a name I have not heard in roughly a quarter of a century - is that the original company or is it a rebadge revival of the name?
Ah Microprose, a name that reminds me of tons of great games I played in the 80's and 90's... The last one decent enough to be part of the legacy being Falcon 4.0. Unfortunately, it is just a pale legacy of the original glorious company. After Sid Meier sold it to Hasbro then sold to >Infogrames/Atari>... >Cybergun!!! (a company doing gun copies, which is also a terrible company with its shareholders, stay away from it if one day you want to invest in it...) and now owned by some (unknown) guy David Lagettie . Good news is that he is a fan of the golden age games of this company. I had to look on wikipedia because honestly I thought the company was gone too after Atari bought it.
To me Firaxis studio is the closest you can get to the original Microprose cast.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Ah Microprose, a name that reminds me of tons of great games I played in the 80's and 90's... The last one decent enough to be part of the legacy being Falcon 4.0. Unfortunately, it is just a pale legacy of the original glorious company. After Sid Meier sold it to Hasbro then sold to >Infogrames/Atari>... >Cybergun!!! (a company doing gun copies, which is also a terrible company with its shareholders, stay away from it if one day you want to invest in it...) and now owned by some (unknown) guy David Lagettie . Good news is that he is a fan of the golden age games of this company. I had to look on wikipedia because honestly I thought the company was gone too after Atari bought it.
To me Firaxis studio is the closest you can get to the original Microprose cast.
These new old guys get it and have a fair amount of experience, some were at the old MP and worked with Sid too. This MP is definitely the spiritual successor tho. Firaxis guys are pretty legendary for sure too.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I played microprose F-19 Stealth fighter, which as I recall was flown from an aircraft carrier. It was probably on an Amiga 500+ the game play was great. I am guessing early 1990's
But even better was M1 tank platoon in the late 90's, you will smile if you watch some gameplay. I could control multiple tanks APC's and artillery in a strategic way then jump in as a gunner to play 1st person.
(21) M1 Tank Platoon gameplay (PC Game, 1989) - YouTube .

I have played B17 games before . I will check this one out. It will be interesting to see if the game play ideas/roles are the same.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
These new old guys get it and have a fair amount of experience, some were at the old MP and worked with Sid too. This MP is definitely the spiritual successor tho. Firaxis guys are pretty legendary for sure too.
My wording probably did not show what I was thinking :) I really hope this project will see the light, the new owner of Microprose seems to be a true fan of its golden age, this says a lot when you want to develop a game under such famous name ! Especially when they were known for great simulation games.
I was mainly referring to the recent history of the studio, which is unfortunately not comparable to its glorious days.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
We also got moments like this in that period.

View: https://youtu.be/dslO-3GgenY
I..I...I'm not crying!! You're Crying!!

Huh, Micropros is back? What a necro, jeeez... lol
I hope they do justice to the name, it will be hard to live up to, but I'm excited about it! I used to have a huge plastic model b17 with moving parts, turrets, wheels, bomb bay doors.. Loved that thing until it got destroyed from playing.

@Rear_Intruder
You are correct about the carrier. It was an awesome game.
I had this since I was like 5,and had it glued to my room's wall for the last 20 years. (that is an f19)
00000IMG_00000_BURST20210818201516379_COVER~2.jpg

They had so many great games, F117, GP, Transport Tycoon, Xcom, Civ, Falcon 3, Master of Orion... And the list goes on.

Forgot your password?