Microsoft Buys Zenimax! (DOOM, Fallout, Skyrim, and the whole LOT!)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Waitt, what? There r editions now for the PC pass version as well?

I only have the standard PC pass that I got upon launch for a quid/month or sumthing crazy cheap. It's been serving me really well. Played way more stuff than I payed for. You will need to install the XBox app for it, but it works alright. Had zero issues with the games install or running them. Best thing is, that they got loads of big titles on their launch day, so whenever you see a highly anticipated game pop up on steam, you can probably find it in the xbox app on your PC as well and play it without the 70+ bucks you would be spending on steam. It's well worth it imo for games you just want to play through once.

Shortcomings are that most of the games are not moddable in any way! I learned this with MechW5 and resorted to buying it on the Epic store. Also, games do get rotated out after quiet a short time sometimes (think a month for the shortest) so you better pick up and play whatever catches your fancy as soon as possible. Some titles stay for rally long though, so no need to worry.

You can also buy the games on there with 10% off I think if you have the pass, and keep em as you would on steam. I would not recommend this, I'd rather look around for a cheap steam code, for the proper access to the game files and such. I have never bought a game on Xbox app, only played them with the pass.
Awesome! Thank you. I may just cancel my PS plus and go with this.

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
So....forgot to check the forum for a while lol

Yes, the DOOM reboot was garbage, I said it, and I stand by it. I say that as someone who finished the game and snored through it. I get what they were trying to make it a little more cinematic perhaps but it still fell on its face when compared to the raw brutality that was DOOM and DOOM II. That's why I love the Brutal DOOM mod so much....that guy just 'gets it", he gets what DOOM is supposed to be all about......it's supposed to be savage. And it does it with freak'n sprites. So take all the fancy GFX and SFX and the flashlight-no-flashlight and give me the rip and tear curb stomp that is old school DOOM any day.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Holy shit!:wut:
This is a big blow for the future of some title out there...
I mean the all Fallout series (ok, maybe not the 76...) has get a lot of benefits from the Bathesda's open world concept, I wonder how MS will carry on this aspect and type of gameplay lots of gamers are now used too. Latest Obsidian title I remember is "Kindom of Amalur" that is far to be a bad game, but is a little poor on the richness of gameplay that Bathesda's games have.
I wouldn't be too worried, when you buy an IP the first thing you think of usually isn't "let's scrap everything fans love about this IP and redo it with new ideas," I mean, that'll come later after you've already milked everything from the bits that fans love. I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd speculate that the next fallout and elder scrolls titles will be even more ambitious on the aspects that fans love, perhaps a larger open world, where you can't take 3 steps without stumbling on 5 caves and 12 quests. Maybe they'll also rehash the older games with new modernized graphics.

And sure, there might be some spin-offs that are different, less open world exploration and more about some specific story or different genre of a game with some iconic characters or themes from the games... though I can't really think about what'd be so big character or thing in Elder Scrolls that you could make a spin-off about it... Like... Uhm... A shopkeeper with a bucket on their head? All the games have different major characters and even the Elder Scrolls themselves are so seldomly seen that... yeah, I don't know. Fallout? Sure. Slap vault boy on the cover and people will buy it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Just waiting to see when it's appropriate to start a Game Pass subscription, lol. Like when is Microsoft going to take control, start publishing Bethesda games on gamepass.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane and FZD
Forgot your password?