Microsoft Flight Simulator

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Loving this so far. Just so much in it. Managed to get from the South coast of England up the M23 and off again, and over my house (in the right position, on my street!) much to the amazement of my wife.
Yeah this awesome! Well worth deleting SC for it, at least for a while!

How's your area looking?
I found my and my relatives houses in Budapest, among with many larger landmark buildings, like the castle and such. All in the right place, but they are the wong shape/type. Funnily enough they had a MacDonalds buildings perfectly right, right size, right shape, the red colour even, but not any other buildings around it.
Still, it was really cool to land right next to my house lol It's been like 15-20 years since I've last done that in FS.

Did a short trip from Tokyo Intl. to Osaka Intl. in one of the better looking small one-prop planes (not a cessna). Getting over the hills was a real challange, especially when I forgot to pump the fuel across from one wing to the other and the engine cut out for bit hahaha Also, almost got run over by a 747 taking off on the perpendicular runway, crossed right in front of me. Also also, had another plane spawn right in front of me during takeoff , we were formation flying for a bit, it was really fun! This seamless multiplayer live thingy is well good!

Only real bug I encountered so far: while in active pause and not touching the controls, just looking around with the mouse, the game went dark then told me I overstressed the plane and crashed it lol. Twice. Well, I guess my tail number is TEST42 for a reason lol.

Edit: just wanted to add that someone needs to make an air-truckin' mod for this! Like EuroTruckSim and such games, just in the air! Add a bunch of skins and such to spend the reward money on (cos that should be easy to make). It would be soooo awesome!

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Everything is in the right place and the right dimensions; it was accurate enough for me to fly the route I drive home and spot recognisable landmarks. My house and garden are all present and correct at the end of our cul-de-sac. The leisure centre nearby has its outdoor swimming pool and is opposite the school and its grounds, next to the tree-lined park. Obviously at exceptionally low level the illusion breaks somewhat but given the whole world is modelled like this it's frankly astounding!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Really should have read minimum requirements on this thing. My CPU is not good enough and my GPU is really only barely good enough, and I thought I had a nice system (7700k and 1080).

oh well, guess I can wait until I build my next computer. Waiting for the 2022 or so Alder or Meteor lake intel processor and PCIe 5.0

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Really should have read minimum requirements on this thing. My CPU is not good enough and my GPU is really only barely good enough, and I thought I had a nice system (7700k and 1080).

oh well, guess I can wait until I build my next computer. Waiting for the 2022 or so Alder or Meteor lake intel processor and PCIe 5.0
Yeah I saw the CPU being Rysen and knew I didn't have a hope. With the Radeon GPU being the RX590 too, it kicked Flight Sim into the long grass for me as that was the pinnacle of the last gen and i'm distinctly middle of the road when it comes to paying for parts for my machine.

On the plus side, FSX is only £20 right now, but like with a billion £ of addons if you are looking for a specific ride or expiriance, it's about another £20 a time.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

I'm on a 4770k and 2060S and it runs fine on ultra 1080p, apart from when it has to load in some more complex stuff. It has hitching and I probably couldn't do very tight stunt flying, other than that it's perfectly enjoyable.
77k and 1080 should be fine for 1080p. The game looks very nice on high and even on medium settings also, and it's a lot less demanding.

If you don't want to shell out the 70£ for the standard version just to give it a decent try, I'd recommend paying for a month of XBox PC Game Pass. It's like 2 bucks or something silly like that, and well worth it. You can then play the game from the Xbox Pass app as long as you are subbed.

Tldr.: if your PC can run SC at anywhere near playable, you can run FS better!

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?