Montoya going full time

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
In the Patreon notes it is suggested if Montoyo can Raise 1,000$ a month he would be able to Direct this corp Full time.

I believe if we all contributed 1$ a month, it would be come more then worth it for him to run this org full time.
I am curious what sort of activities could be organized or what the difference for TEST would be, speculatively speaking of course.

Also, Montoyo, what exactly do you have in mind, if you could raise $1,000 a month ?

Personally I think, if you could get together with some ace pilots and show them and us how to "FLY" in star citizen, give us tricks of the trade, go over maneuvers and combat basics and racing basics and then eventually tips for Star Marine etc.. when that is released too would be great.

Live twitter feeds, practicing things the best of the best of us submit to you, watching you slowly become a pro as you sift through all the techniques and such yourself , grading and commenting and drinking beer and having fun the whole while etc..

of course..until SC goes live. In such case, what kind of direction can we expect from the corp ? From you etc..
What do you at the least THINK one of the goals we could push for, help inspire us now, so we can get you that monthly donation your looking for, is what I say !

I want you to become more invested and more involved then you already are, can you imagine. But I really like the idea of you being our glorious leader, and would want you to be capable of directing us full time. That would make the most ultimate Space SIM ever !

Anyways I'm open to thoughts and discussion. Nothing better to do tonight :P
If I start shouting my idea's on RSI forum's I'll probably be ista-permabannadukanned

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
What I would like to see, every month on state of the union or however it is called, is at least one "TRICK" or very good tip to know, when flying an Aurora drunk !

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I appreciate you bringing this up Azmo!

While we are still pretty far away from having a game, the direction TEST Squadron/Gaming is heading is starting to become more clear.

From the very beginning, the question has been "What is the value proposition? What is it we can offer that is different?"

I love the idea of being part of an organization that is known for being self deprecating, extroverted, over the top and just plain funny.

I hoped that others might be looking for these qualities, and so far, they have!

Now that the foundation is in, where do we go?

what exactly do you have in mind, if you could raise $1,000 a month ?
Im not going to sugarcoat it, time is money. The 40-50hrs I spend doing TEST related stuff every week cuts deeply into the rest of life. I love this community and want to do a lot more.

I would like to get more videos out, interviews, streaming, surprise CIG visits!

On the TEST Gaming side, I want to do hardware reviews, get bulk discounts for TESTies, build relationships with hardware vendors.. there is a ton of work to be done, and not enough time to do it.

I could go on for hours with ideas, but its 1:04am and Im operating on 5hrs sleep, so I better quit not before I start posting pictures of Vin Diesel.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
I appreciate you bringing this up Azmo!

While we are still pretty far away from having a game, the direction TEST Squadron/Gaming is heading is starting to become more clear.

From the very beginning, the question has been "What is the value proposition? What is it we can offer that is different?"

I love the idea of being part of an organization that is known for being self deprecating, extroverted, over the top and just plain funny.

I hoped that others might be looking for these qualities, and so far, they have!

Now that the foundation is in, where do we go?

Im not going to sugarcoat it, time is money. The 40-50hrs I spend doing TEST related stuff every week cuts deeply into the rest of life. I love this community and want to do a lot more.

I would like to get more videos out, interviews, streaming, surprise CIG visits!

On the TEST Gaming side, I want to do hardware reviews, get bulk discounts for TESTies, build relationships with hardware vendors.. there is a ton of work to be done, and not enough time to do it.

I could go on for hours with ideas, but its 1:04am and Im operating on 5hrs sleep, so I better quit not before I start posting pictures of Vin Diesel.
I demand pictures!

Reactions: mromutt

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
I think we can all agree we would love more of Montoya! Once the game comes out, he's going to be even busier because officers/mods will be relaying a lot more questions and bringing up things with him a lot more often, even though a lot of that will still be on the officers/mods. So! With that said, I would love to help in any way possible, but financially I'm unable to. However, I'm trying to contribute my time and effort into other spaces of TEST, but, if you guys ever need me for anything - you know I'll be there. :)

This is something I know Montoya and the officers, and all of TEST would need to discuss but right now I have noticed we generally meet our $200 donation goal each month on the forums pretty early on in the month. Perhaps we could think about raising it to $300 or $400. Some of those funds could go toward things other than ships like trips to visit CIG, meet-ups, money toward more custom TEST merchandise, tech stuff like bigger Mumble server (not that we need it, just giving an example because I am not techy) - website server costs.. things of that nature. By now I'm thinking we have a lot of ships, or we could encourage people to sign up for Montoya's Patreon. You can donate $5 a month or more directly to Montoya through his Patreon, I know he would appreciate it.

WE DEMAND MORE MONTOYA ;) Jk, Montoya. RL comes first always, but if there are ways we can help you help us by being here more, let us know!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
This is something I know Montoya and the officers, and all of TEST would need to discuss but right now I have noticed we generally meet our $200 donation goal each month on the forums pretty early on in the month. Perhaps we could think about raising it to $300 or $400. Some of those funds could go toward things other than ships like trips to visit CIG, meet-ups, money toward more custom TEST merchandise,
You being here is all we could ever need Stars!

Seriously, since you arrived this place has improved drastically, we brush our hair, shave and clean up every evening!

On the topic of the minimum donation levels, for the most part that covers the basics. Some months we go into the red, other months we have a bit left over.

I made an updated video on the donations page talking a bit more about this.

Supporting me through donations has always been completely voluntary, but obviously, the more that comes in, more incentives I have to get shit done.

There is a lot more media equipment I need, like an HD camera so I can film things away from my computer. A clip on mic, some lighting... its an ongoing learning process with media creation. On top of all that, I can not stream Star Citizen because my PC can not stream and run the game at the same time, so I am in the process of pricing out a gaming rig and buying parts when ever I see them on sale.

There is a long way to go, but with all of you supporting me, we are well on our way to even more glory!

I should make a fresh post about this later today.

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Just a heads up that the Patreon image link on the donation page is broken.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
In the Patreon notes it is suggested if Montoyo can Raise 1,000$ a month he would be able to Direct this corp Full time.

Also, Montoyo, what exactly do you have in mind, if you could raise $1,000 a month ?

If I start shouting my idea's on RSI forum's I'll probably be ista-permabannadukanned
I think that it's an awesome idea to have Montoya run the forums full time but I also think it's really hard to make a living on $1,000 a month. I am broke constantly and make $2500 a month, I would kill to make real money.

EDIT: I also have a wife and three kids, not sure what Montoya is working with. If I was single and living in my parents garage I could live on $1000 a month and be happy :)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I think that it's an awesome idea to have Montoya run the forums full time but I also think it's really hard to make a living on $1,000 a month. I am broke constantly and make $2500 a month, I would kill to make real money.

EDIT: I also have a wife and three kids, not sure what Montoya is working with. If I was single and living in my parents garage I could live on $1000 a month and be happy :)
Its not about running the forums, its about running a gaming organization.

At 500 members, we would be a good size guild. At 1000, you are big guild. At 6000+, is a different ball game.

You are right, there is no way I can make a living off $1000 a month, but its the point where I can start to financially justify putting more time here.

Wife, two kids, you know what it costs.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Its not about running the forums, its about running a gaming organization.

At 500 members, we would be a good size guild. At 1000, you are big guild. At 6000+, is a different ball game.

You are right, there is no way I can make a living off $1000 a month, but its the point where I can start to financially justify putting more time here.

Wife, two kids, you know what it costs.
If you put up something more along the lines of what was brought up earlier, a donation bar that was perhaps seperated so that bar one was the $200 monthly to run this place minimum and then a secondary bar with "stretch goals" involving other cool stuff. Ideas for said cool stuff can be collected below, I'll start :)

1. Montoya being whipped across the back as he slaves over the computer for black history month.
2. Montoya eating reindeer jerky at Christmas.
3. Montoya playing D&D with other TESTies with a wizard hat on.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
You being here is all we could ever need Stars!

Seriously, since you arrived this place has improved drastically, we brush our hair, shave and clean up every evening!

On the topic of the minimum donation levels, for the most part that covers the basics. Some months we go into the red, other months we have a bit left over.

I made an updated video on the donations page talking a bit more about this.

Supporting me through donations has always been completely voluntary, but obviously, the more that comes in, more incentives I have to get shit done.

There is a lot more media equipment I need, like an HD camera so I can film things away from my computer. A clip on mic, some lighting... its an ongoing learning process with media creation. On top of all that, I can not stream Star Citizen because my PC can not stream and run the game at the same time, so I am in the process of pricing out a gaming rig and buying parts when ever I see them on sale.

There is a long way to go, but with all of you supporting me, we are well on our way to even more glory!

I should make a fresh post about this later today.

Could we have a Donation drive, that is static until completed, that includes certain things.
Let me give you an example, we have this one page which shows worthy causes.
maybe even start a poll for these concepts.. give the poll a few months too.

Then start the donation drives, get concept likes:

Montoyo's crashes in on CIG unexpectedly !
or Need higher quality HD camera with 120hz buffer..
or Send custom made very large Test Raptor Poster to Ben Lesnik to put up in office during "Around the verse episode xx"
Corp needs our tenth Javelin etc,,
2 days off work for Montoyo so he can live stream on twitter all day ..

etc...

say you need a plane ticket back and forth to california, and 1 night sleep over hotel should be suffice to say that is 800$ if booked in advance.
The donation stays up until fullfilled.

MrRepeatz

Lieutenant
Mar 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Repeatz
Saved for future Propoganda.

as for the full time thing couldent you just pu out subscription based content? im sure people would definitly be down for that as they get something out of it and it's not an in-game advantage or anything.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Im down for subscription stuff. I want more Montoya !

Where's that .gif for more cowbell...?

Forgot your password?