Montoya responds to Inside Gaming's terrible coverage of Star Citizen

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Montoya From your first 6 minutes, i dont think we need SC to be successfull to proove that the crowdfunding models works for games. We all know that many awsome and successfull (or less successfull) games were published since kickstarter or direct game crowfunding saw the light (Pillars of Eternity which was the highest crowfunded game at the time, Wasteland 2, Elite Dangerous, Shroud of the Avatar among many many others...).
The real difference here is in the number of digits raised with Star Citizen, that is something unique and i do not think many other projects could achieve the same, even if they follow the same model (Wasteland2 pretty much paved the way for others to do so, then we had Project Eternity aka Pillars of (...) and Star Citizen coming shortly after). Do publishers have to be afraid of SC because of that on such a scale (the 100+ million mark for AAA games), i do not think so, it is very unique and has to do with the project and the people who back the game. Do they care for gamers nostalgia and publish old IP or game genre (rpg or space sim was not the trend in 2012) cherrished by old gamers? Probably not, for them it still a niche, that's the reason why so many old names of the industry had to do it through crowdfunding and still do it, but it is very rare to see something going beyond a handfull of millions.
Otherwise we would have seen that already on such scale with other titles. I guess SC just have a huge scope fantastic enough to make people wildest dream come true.

For the rest yes, this site Inside Gaming is just talking shit.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yeah this again. Must be hard to run a daily show and actually put some research into it.
Either hire some researchers or don't run a daily show that makes you look like you are wearing clown shoes. If I want uninformed toss I'll go on Facebook.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Either hire some researchers or don't run a daily show that makes you look like you are wearing clown shoes. If I want uninformed toss I'll go on Facebook.
How dare you! I get al of my pertinant well balanced opinions from facebook!

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
You mean pay some nerds that don't add any entertainment value? You can't be serious!

Edit: I mean they already pay a couple of that kind that obviously converted from nerd to clown which is why they are still in the show probably. But nerds who actually deliver proper information? That's just suicide from a production point of view for that kind of show.

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
This is an interesting point about "paid reviews" btw from Alana from Inside Gaming btw:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgg7_0rBUOA

I think it's at least not that far from the truth - or at least she believes most of it.

I personally think it's not the big scheme we should worry about here. Sorry @Montoya but I think it's much more simple. Giving a proper review about star citizen's developement would require more time than most game journalists have. And not only game journalists but journalists in general. I know of only one weekly newpaper in Germany that actually employs a whole department for fact checking before publishing. Most newspapers just try to produce (and reproduce) scandal. Because that gives attention and that can be turned into money - which btw. occasionally also finances a genuininly well written article (or video for that matter) now and then. To be clear about that: I'm in no way joining the club of fake news accusers! But it's more often than not still the scandal that creates the audience in the first place. And for this I mostly blame the audience.

Inside Gaming, first and foremost, they are publishers that have to generate some return to their efforts. They use scandal to generate income like almost anyone else in the business. Even this abhorrend claim that SC would need a publisher (in an earlier show) is very likely only a formed and genuininly believed opinion because that's simply the normal way how games are developed. Star Citizen's developement is not normal. Elaborating on that and making a fair judgement would require more time that the avarage journalist has (or he or she would have to be a fan in the first place). This is why unbiased reports on SC are sort of impossible under economic circumstances as they are. I think that's about it.

Forgot your password?