Motorcycle

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
Welp, I just got my class M permit and am looking at MSF classes to avoid a shirty roadtest for my license. I'm thrilled, but I'm having issues finding any Drake dealerships locally and no one seems to be carrying IRL Dragonflies; I wonder if it's because they aren't past concept yet.

In seriousness, I've been eyeballing a Victory Octane. Any TESTies ride? Thoughts on a Vic Octane for a first time cruiser?

Thanks, cheers.

Reactions: Blind Owl

deathstrike

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
deathstrike
I used to work in the Polaris parts warehouse but I've no idea if that model is great or not. A few guys I know bought their Victory's or Indians thru the company and I'm pretty sure they liked them a lot. I doubt you'll have too much trouble with the bike itself.

I have a Moto Guzzi myself so I understand the pull of the V-twin. It's just everyone else mounts them sideways :p

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I know a lot of folks go with a honda rebel as a first ride. The octane is a 1200cc if memory serves, probably not the best idea to have that much power on a first ride. The harley street 500 is another good starting option, both of them are under 7500.

Rebels are also scary easy to find used for under 2000 in near-perfect condition. Start with a small beater, and then get yourself a nice one after a year or two. Tis what I've always been told, and what I've always seen.

In order of things I have ridden, 92 honda rebel - 89 Harley electra glide - 99 Ninja 7x-9r - 2005 Boss Hoss. Rebel was by far my favorite because of how nimble it was while retaining the cruiser style. And it sipped significantly less gas than the Electra glide.

I've been contemplating getting a rebel for myself, but, I don't have the license :cool:

SteakOfWar

Grand Admiral
Feb 25, 2015
RSI Handle
bbqreaper
Started off with a 96 virago 535, after 2 years I sold it and got myself a 06 V-star 1100. Having the smaller bike really helped me get my riding down pat, as well as giving me a much bigger appreciation for a larger bike.

Reactions: 188Octane

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
89 Harley electra glide
My dad had an Electra glide at one point, those things are comfy as hell.

I need to get my license, but will probably wait until I eventuall move out to Cali as I have no time for it and Indiana weather sucks.

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but I felt that it was silly to create a new thread for this.

I pulled the trigger the other day and bought my '17 Victory Octane; she's one hell of a bike. I'm hoping to find a solid work-acceptable moto boot so I can commute on her (at least until the dragonfly is flight ready). The red 650 behind is my roommate's bike.

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Congrats!! Looks good!

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Very nice. I've been riding for a few years now, about 7-8 ish (can't remember). Always been on my 95 YZF600R, my avatar. I have been thinking of later on getting a Hypermotard 939, fell in love after a demo ride this summer.

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
I used to have the black version of your roommates bike, loved that bike. Sadly my close friend died in a motorcycle crash last year, so I quit riding. Be careful out there, drivers are morons.

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
I used to have the black version of your roommates bike, loved that bike. Sadly my close friend died in a motorcycle crash last year, so I quit riding. Be careful out there, drivers are morons.
I'm sorry to hear. They are morons, yes. Thanks for the well wishes.

Reactions: DrunkenTeddy

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I rode all my life on many bikes until I started racing Sportsters. 4 Sportsters later and I am bikeless.....for now.
That Victory looks sweet. I love the way Victorys have a gear drive instead of a Primary chain.
If I had the green I would already be riding Victorys new Electric and maybe a zero for offroading.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but I felt that it was silly to create a new thread for this.

I pulled the trigger the other day and bought my '17 Victory Octane; she's one hell of a bike. I'm hoping to find a solid work-acceptable moto boot so I can commute on her (at least until the dragonfly is flight ready). The red 650 behind is my roommate's bike.

I've considered those. I like the Indian "Scout" as well but there is only a Victory dealer near me. The Indian dealer is 9 hrs away.
For my tastes, the Victory will do nicely.

Forgot your password?