Mouse tips for a Joystick Fighter?

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
I've given myself the task of learning to fly and fight with a mouse this week (well probably take longer, but I'm starting this week) I LOVE flying with a stick, it feels "natural" to me going Waaaaay back to WingCommander 1
And I love flying SC with my T1600 (CH Throttle coming soon) but trying out ships that have gimbled weapons it is clear that I need to learn mouse so I can fly and shoot things that aren't directly on my nose.
I've picked a Cutlass Black as my trainer (partially as I also want to learn to fly it as I suck with it and know it's me and not the ship)

Anywhoo any tips? What do I need to play with in settings or sensitivity or whatever the hell. I realize a lot of it is going to be just hours and hours of hands on and force myself to learn it, but I figured I'd ask.

RedjackQuisterJr

Rear Admiral
Sep 28, 2014
RSI Handle
redjack_quister_jr
I fly mouse but not using gimbal(ewww) :) hehehehe

I usually use relative mode(ctrl+c) as it is as close to a vjoy as it can. only thing missing is the continuous input that you have on default mode(gimbal mode) or gimbal lock mode.

try using relative mode first as it will be more natural for you, only thing you need to do sometimes is you need to lift up your mouse as sooner or later you will ran out of realty to move your mouse lol

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
So just to be clear.

Gimbal unlocked: Turret moves with mouse, ship direction is affected.
Gimbal locked: Mouse steers ship, turrets locked to forward

Relative mode: ?
Vjoy: ?

Don't judge, I haven't used a joystick since Final Fight on my zip stick.

Also I do not know the in game terminology or the keys.

I just about remember comstab and gsafe do some stuff but don't really know how best to use it. Obviously practice is the key but with GTA5 and Witcher 3 installed there 'aint no room for SC until the FPS comes out.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Mouse gameplay is really dull, it is only somewhat enjoyable when stuff blows up, but there is never this hunting feeling that you get from a joystick.
For your own sanity, equip harder hitting, slower firing weapons (omni, mass drive) and concentrate on sniping your targets as accurately as possible. Badgers and Mantis will make you feel like you are playing duck hunt. You definitively should learn how to manipulate shield right away to have at least some level of depth.
Watch Gingers channel as he gives great tips on mouse gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/user/ManiacalGinger/videos

I would actually suggest going HOJAM, its 10 times more difficult than a mouse alone, but personally, i had a blast with it. logitech g300s is an affordable gaming mouse that can be used left or right

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
I'm not sure I can convince my left hand to be useful enough with a mouse in my left with my stick in my right, but maybe the other way. But I do figure being able to fly in as many setups as possibile will only help focus whatever skills I have.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The mouse controls are actually pretty shit in Arena Commander. I can't fly without Ctrl + C, the deadzone basically kills all attempts at fine maneuvering.

Gimbals are just so OP that it makes it worth it in the end.

Forgot your password?