Movies based in space

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Both excellent films.

Putting aside the Star Wars/Star Trek/Aliens franchises there are five films which spring to mind....

2001: A space oddesey
Fascinating film, and so well done.

Silent Running
A poignant film that I have always loved.

Bravo. A modern mainstream blockbuster sci-fi that didn'the disappoint.

The Last Star fighter
OK, this one is a bit puerile, but I was a young teenager when it came out and so am stuck loving it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battle Beyond The Stars
Haven'the seen this in a while, but another one that I have fond memories of.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
OK, well Avatar is not technically 'in space', but more 'off Earth'. In that vein Forbidden Planet is another one from my hit list. Are you thinking literally 'in space/spaceships' though Print?

Darn it, it's 3.30am here and I want to get to sleep, but now my mind is running through old sci-fi films :)

Edit note: 3.40 am. Must. Stop. Thinking. But... two great movies including alien space ships, but on Earth.

John Carpenters 1980's film 'The Thing'. Epic sci-fi horror crossover.

Quatermass and the pit. Very cool 1950's sci-fi.

OK, definitely going off-topic now so will stop. Looking forward to seeing other people's picks.

Last edited:

JimiJons

Commander
Donor
Sep 5, 2016
RSI Handle
JimiJons
If you liked Event Horizon, you'll love Pandorum.

You've probably already seen it, but Interstellar is excellent spaciness and deals with a lot of scientifically proportionate spectacles. The modeling of the supermassive black hole in the film was done by astrophysicists who ended up publishing a paper based on that experience.

The 2004 reboot miniseries of Battlestar Galactica is pretty great, and includes some delicious space dogfighting.

The Fifth Element is always a classic.

Starship Troopers for that Star Marine FPS hype.

Blade Runner is a legendary film. Doesn't take place in space, but does takes place during a time when humanity is an advanced space-faring civilization.

Alternatively, if you're like me and you've seen too many films and they don't make new ones fast enough, I recommend the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series (which spawned after the success of the miniseries, and which you'll undoubtedly want to watch after finishing the miniseries anyway), Stargate SG-1, and any of the Star Trek series (i'm enjoying Voyager currently).

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
Well i have to also recommend Pandorum, both of those movies are awesome.. Sunshine is another good one in the same vein. Less scary but in the wierd thought provoking sci fi vein watch Solaris(2004) if you haven't seen it.. I just found out this is actually the third cinematic remake based on a polish novel from the 60's by Stanislaw Lem. Just some of the other movies i loved and recommend would be Mission to Mars, Contact, Close encounters of the third kind.
SG1 is probably, no is my favorite tv sci fi series all time... just cause it lasted longer than firefly... would be harder choice otherwise. I'm really surprised they removed that from netflix. Course i still find it hard to imagine a scy-fy that doesnt play sg1 episodes 3-4 times a week.

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Currently i'm watching Star Trek (the old one with Cpt. Cirk) on Netflix.
As i'm not that much into Movies, but in Books, i can highly recomend the book Limit by Frank Schätzling. It's an awesome book.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Currently i'm watching Star Trek (the old one with Cpt. Cirk) on Netflix.
As i'm not that much into Movies, but in Books, i can highly recomend the book Limit by Frank Schätzling. It's an awesome book.
As far as sci-fi books go, I am a huge fan of the Warhammer 40k series, especially those dealing with Adeptus Mechanicus.

Reactions: Doctor Antelope

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
I always enjoyed these movies, some of them have some great deep space sequences, my list tails off a bit at the end :

• Mission to mars
  • Sunshine
  • Contact
  • Alien
  • Ender's Game
  • Promethius
  • Riddick (2013 the dog thing, omg so cute. )
  • Pitch Black
  • Oblivion (not strictly in space, but the soundtrack and sequence up to the tesseract is worth)
  • Outlander (Set on earth, but vikings and spaceship sword!)
  • Chronicles of Riddick
  • Solaris
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Wing Commander
  • Star Trek : First Contact (for the scene where the enterprise swoops in to shield the defiant at the start)
  • Armageddon
  • Space Cowboys (little corny but not too bad)

Forgot your password?