My 4th of July bbq got rained out, so meat got made in the oven!

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Raleigh had some thunderstorms roll through just when we were supposed to BBQ.

Not wanting to get my hair wet, we had to move the bbq indoors, so we buried the meat in a pile of salt, into the oven at 300 for 40min

YUM! Here it is peeking out !

A nice medium rare picanha!

Then crisp up the fat a bit more, usually this is done on the bbq, but we improvised!

I hope you all had a happy 4th, enjoy the long weekend!
god you a making me hungry what is that cut of meat?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
god you a making me hungry what is that cut of meat?
The blowtorch came with the creme brule kit!

The cut of meat is a sirloin tip. The only places that carry it here are the Mexican places, so you may need to go to a butcher and ask for a picanha because its not something most places will sell.
Answer in quote 😉

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yanks are weird, way too much salt
I have to say I once shared your point of view the first time I saw someone cooking meat like that as I figured it would make everything way too salty. But then I found out it really does work to seal in the moister and ends up with a wonderfully moist evenly cooked meat. Be it chicken, fish or beef and doesn't leave the meat tasting salty.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm interesting idea of making salt-covered meat, i know this metod for fish (but you need to mantain the fish's scale for that) but never tryed on meat...
By the way try picanha with low temp cooking... I've a brother of a friends of mine that is super enthusiast about it... last time I was there he pulled out a piece of picanha seasoned and pine-smoked by himself, cooked at low temp for something about 24h (like 40° for 24h i think)... it was so tasty and so soft that melt in mouth...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I have to say I once shared your point of view the first time I saw someone cooking meat like that as I figured it would make everything way too salty. But then I found out it really does work to seal in the moister and ends up with a wonderfully moist evenly cooked meat. Be it chicken, fish or beef and doesn't leave the meat tasting salty.

Correct, the salt forms a crust around the meat, locking in the moisture.

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
As someone who had to look at videos of steaks cooking for a work project for months (science!) I implore you to leave the meat for five minutes before cutting it. If you look at the picture where you slice the meat, you can see that the red is not very uniform and you lost quite some juice. If you leave it resting for five minutes it will be Better!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Some might consider this as blasphemy, but for several years I've had thoughts of designing a machine that cooks delicious meats like this in a different way than others. Although I was thinking of using a whole brisket that I'd call part of it the TESTified Tri-tip.

Forgot your password?