My first ever fleet post!

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
This is my first ‘fleet’ post. While I always enjoy reading about other people’s reasons for their buying decisions … I was never one to post my fleet. This year’s IAE changed my mind because it brought a bit of clarity that is allowing me to simplify my hangar. Over the past year, I’ve been struggling with ways to streamline my hangar. I hope you enjoy my current rationale for my choices.

Let’s start with special ships. I’ve gone out of my way to pick up a few collectible ships in the 7-8 years I’ve been an active donor to the game’s development. These are ships I can’t CCU or melt:

1669667652823.png

I sold a ton of ‘buy-back’ ships to fund that F8!

The past year has solidified my need to simplify. Why? I’m glad you asked. I tend to focus on FPS and support activities in games. For the PU, I’ve always envisioned my primary role as a Medic. The release of the Galaxy was a perfect way for me to consolidate my support-ships into one larger option. FPS will have a broader combat focus, so I have the Perseus and Scorpius as my daily combat ships. (I temporarily have a Gladius because I need more time training ….). My daily drivers include the new cutter for instant respawn and the 600i because the rework opens medical, exploration, some cargo, FPS, and modular touring options. It doesn’t hurt that the 600i doesn’t require a big crew for the ship’s size. Most perceived gaps, like missing a Cutlass Red or the Medivac, can be earned in the game.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 132810.jpg

The last segment of ships is for my organization and events fleet. These are the ships used for TEST Squadron, multi-crew gaming sessions. Most of these ships focus on industry because I’m a firm believer in creating an environment where making virtual UEC is easy. Removing a difficult grind is one reason for buying pixels and supporting the game.

1669667879142.png

I’ll never commit to saying I am done with buying ships. But for the first time in half a decade, I am comfortable with the items in my hangar. It sort of feels like a milestone.

Now that means I have a ton of store credit ... seriously, it's a problem. I’ll reopen my TEST-Market shop and share some good (to amazing) discounts on 'giftable' ships and some discounted high value industry ships. All will be CCU'd options. LINK to my MARKET POST.

I'd enjoy your feedback and look forward to other end of IAE stories.

PS - The Javelin is safe in buy-back :)

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I love your choices! Your industry and events ships are very similar to mine for apparently the same reason. The remainder are your personal choices depending on how you see yourself playing the game. Good show.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
F8C Lightning.
Man. That's probably the most impressive one in your entire fleet.
Gonna be pretty dope in combat.

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
Very nice! That Orion makes my willy wiggle a little.
I need more industrial because I only have my Gemini and a Vulture for right now.
Got rid of my miners during the recent show, and am skewed towards combat and shipping right now.

Bravo Sir!
🍻

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
dat F8 lookin mighty smexy tho

But seriously, I admire the fact that you have a firm focus of what you want to be in the 'verse. I'm so into everything that I decided to get rid of (some of) my larger ships, so I could get a wide spectrum of smaller and mid-size ships to cover most game loops.

Recently, though, I've been feeling the need to be a space tow truck operator with my SRV. Combine it with my Vulcan and run a space AAA roadside service.

Opiepal

Space Marshal
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Opiepal
It will be interesting to see how much time we spend in those larger ships vs the “daily drivers”. I would love to have a consistent group of people to rotate crewing the larger ships as we have a very large fleet as an org.

Indigo Bat

Captain
Aug 29, 2021
RSI Handle
IndigoBat
I love the fact that you've got a good idea of where to go with the fleet. I've been melting and buying back and forth with no clear idea of what I really want to do. I really need to get some time to hang out with the Org and just do things. My little group of friends that I played with have wandered off for a bit while waiting for the next database reset with 3.18.

I was (and still am) tempted by the Galaxy because it is a -sexy- ship, but the only module that interests me currently in the refinery module, and I picked up an Expanse to fill that role since I can park an Expanse and a Prospector on my Liberator, and still have room for a C8R on the front... and I succumbed to temptation and finally grabbed a Carrack since it is still the Mary Sue of exploration ships.

... I did buy the exclusive paint for the Galaxy though. For reasons.

Opiepal

Space Marshal
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Opiepal
I love the fact that you've got a good idea of where to go with the fleet. I've been melting and buying back and forth with no clear idea of what I really want to do. I really need to get some time to hang out with the Org and just do things. My little group of friends that I played with have wandered off for a bit while waiting for the next database reset with 3.18.

I was (and still am) tempted by the Galaxy because it is a -sexy- ship, but the only module that interests me currently in the refinery module, and I picked up an Expanse to fill that role since I can park an Expanse and a Prospector on my Liberator, and still have room for a C8R on the front... and I succumbed to temptation and finally grabbed a Carrack since it is still the Mary Sue of exploration ships.

... I did buy the exclusive paint for the Galaxy though. For reasons.
The Carrack is just going to get better as they add more and more functions to come online. Can’t wait to be able to drop the pods and use the drones.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You do realize you get a Carrack as the loaner for the Galaxy, so you really didn't need to buy one. The Galaxy will probably not be out for at least 4-5 years, and buying it now is the cheapest way to own a Carrack.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Some big boy ships there!

I see no Aurora? can we assume it imploded against the side of a mountain in a Glorious explosion?

No doubt whilst you were drinking heavily and perhaps asleep?

(Damn that Orion is Big!)

Reactions: Vavrik

Indigo Bat

Captain
Aug 29, 2021
RSI Handle
IndigoBat
You do realize you get a Carrack as the loaner for the Galaxy, so you really didn't need to buy one. The Galaxy will probably not be out for at least 4-5 years, and buying it now is the cheapest way to own a Carrack.
The BIS pack was a pretty good deal for me, since I had a MSR with 6mo insurance that I could melt, and a Deemer that was gathering dust since they nerfed the turrets and it was revealed the engines were held on with velcro. So the cost wasn't that big of a deal. I ended up just not liking how the Galaxy panned out.

I already have an Apollo, Expanse, and Liberator in my Hanger so the Galaxy is redundant unless it could do more then one role at a time.

Now, if they come out with a LUXURY module ala Spirit E1 or Connie Phoenix, I may change my mind.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Deemer that was gathering dust since they nerfed the turrets
I thought it was just the current issue with the S5 projectile speeds and so on; did they actually change something about the ship turrets themselves? Since I'm usually the one in the pilot's seat, I could have easily missed a more subtle nerf in the turrets; what exactly happened?

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?