RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
That looks like a beffy rig. I actually have something very similar to this setup although mine only has one video card. The PS and RAM might be a tad much IMHO but it really depends on what your going to do with it other than play games.

Congrats though, I really look forward to having you join us in the game and getting your perspective on the ships.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
Yeah the RAM might be a bit much, what other than gaming are you looking at?
And why the 2x 290's?

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
Well there are other, more powerful, cards that have at least as good VRAM.
I'd say drop it to 16GB, it's hard to use more than 8 on a single game ATM I think, and take those savings plus the money from the 2x and get a single, some Ballin 980Ti say.
Then by the time the PU is out you can have a second 980Ti, instead of using 2x cards whose design is 4? years old ATM.

It's always better to grab a single more powerful card, then 2x later when the price drops.
The single's performance should remain acceptable, depending on how high end you go/what resolution you push, and you won't have to deal any driver issue's related to running 2. Plenty of games have trouble with SLI/Crossfire, at least at launch.

TL;DR: I recommend dropping it to 16GB RAM and 1 of the most expensive GPU's you can get (980Ti/390X/etc).

Reactions: honcho12

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I'd say drop it to 16GB, it's hard to use more than 8 on a single game ATM I think, and take those savings plus the money from the 2x and get a single, some Ballin 980Ti say.
Then by the time the PU is out you can have a second 980Ti, instead of using 2x cards whose design is 4? years old ATM.

It's always better to grab a single more powerful card, then 2x later when the price drops.
The single's performance should remain acceptable, depending on how high end you go/what resolution you push, and you won't have to deal any driver issue's related to running 2. Plenty of games have trouble with SLI/Crossfire, at least at launch.

TL;DR: I recommend dropping it to 16GB RAM and 1 of the most expensive GPU's you can get (980Ti/390X/etc).
I will consider this but I'm keeping the 32 gigs RAM. Just because I can.

Reactions: honcho12

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12

Super good idea on getting one great card instead of 2 pretty good ones.

Guss De Blöd

Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2015
RSI Handle
gussdeblod
I have almost the same cooling fan, they're very cool. ( as seen here )

I also have the same SSD, and I have some advice : UPDATE IT FIRMWARE. There's a firmware issue with Crucials BX and MX that makes you go BSOD sometimes without any reason. Take 2 minutes to update from an USB Key, and it totally solved any SSD related issues to me. (which was the only problem I had with my computer)

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I have almost the same cooling fan, they're very cool. ( as seen here )

I also have the same SSD, and I have some advice : UPDATE IT FIRMWARE. There's a firmware issue with Crucials BX and MX that makes you go BSOD sometimes without any reason. Take 2 minutes to update from an USB Key, and it totally solved any SSD related issues to me. (which was the only problem I had with my computer)
Thank you sir!

Nezakhan

Lieutenant
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Nezakhan
Your build > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NVx7bv
Base Total: $1953.68
Mail-in Rebates: -$70.00
Total: $1883.68

Note: The G.Skill Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Reactions: Black Sunder

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Note: The G.Skill Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.
I'll have this looked at closely. It didn't come up when a friend and i were picking this stuff out.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Your computer is stupid because you are using some part that is not the brand that I prefer.

Forgot your password?