My take on Microsoft HoloLens

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
The MEH factor is large with this one.

It will only be as good as the display which will make images in front of you, either pixelated like hell (like Oculus Rift) or so small you will think it is reality before your eyes.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
The MEH factor is large with this one.

It will only be as good as the display which will make images in front of you, either pixelated like hell (like Oculus Rift) or so small you will think it is reality before your eyes.
In 2015, sure. Microsoft is notorious for releasing half baked products and cutting all support down the line.
But! think 2020, when we have 2nd, 3rd generation VR, tech and hardware matured a bit, this sh1t is going to change the world

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
It does not look like that through the Holo Lens, trust me.
It is for them to convey an idea, how they immagine it to work.

Problem is the hadware is crap (for now) and it is nowhere THAT.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
It does not look like that through the Holo Lens, trust me.
It is for them to convey an idea, how they immagine it to work.

Problem is the hadware is crap (for now) and it is nowhere THAT.
Ye sure, not today. But what about 2020, 2023. Those years will be here in an eyeblink
In 2008 we all had dumbphones and PDA's that could barely open an email. Today smartphones outperform ps3/x360. We wen't from 320x240 screens to 1440x2560 on a 6 inch display.

Can AR tech feel natural in 5-8 years? I think that it definitively can. Is Microsoft the company to bring us the hardware implementation of it? Probably not

If you look at the MS Build 2015 presentation, words like "Windows 10 apps" keep coming back again and again. What is happening here, i am guessing, is that Windows is slowly becoming irrelevant. It's an outdated platform that hasn't changed much in the past 20 years. Since 2011, almost every household has a tablet/smartphone to do basic tasks like checking email, browsing Test Squadron forums, reddit, tumbler etc Hell, my girlfriends parents who barely can handle a remote control have 2 tablets and 2 smartphones to browse everything that is Internetz. Google docs is a great and free alternative for office applications. MacOs and linux is slowly chewing into laptop/desktop marketshare. Gaming and development are basically the only reason to get a windows desktop atm.

I bet that Microsoft will introduce a patented Augmented Reality tech that is heavily integrated into their windows infrastructure. Then they'll get the ball rolling with a reference HoloLens for the devs and early adopters and license 3rd party hardware implementations for a buck, ensuring that AR is only relevant when used with the word "windows". Suddenly, everyone has a reason to shelve that MacBook and tablet and purchase a personal computer with Windows

Last edited:

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
At that time there will be plenty more innovation and companies developing VR.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
At that time there will be plenty more innovation and companies developing VR.
True, and if it natively runs on prebuild windows drivers and visual studio, why would you choose anything else, that is all that MS is trying to do in my opinion, and its a needed first push.
Also don't forget that there is a huge difference between Augmented reality and Virtual Reality like oculus. While the second one requires full digital environments with limited market appeal, while AR has unlimited applications for absolutely everyone

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Absolutely correct!

All the rift videos look amazing on the internet because you are seeing the high res video from the monitor, not the HMD.

Playing ED with the Rift is tons of fun, but the low res graphics suck.

Forgot your password?