My wife is a genius i'm playing TA again

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So, the good wife Mrs 'Bobface laptop hard-drive finally died and the thing would no longer boot. It sat around for a while. I pulled an old SSD out of my old PC which was about to go in the loft, and popped it in and stuck Ubuntu on it for her to surf the net and all that (this is the 3rd computer this SSD has been in so it's been worth it)

Well, she says "I want my favorite sound editor on this because I paid actual money for it"

And I'm like "Yeah, no that won't happen it's a windows program"

And she's on the makers website like "Look here the programs webpage says just use Wine"

And I'm like "yeah no I have no idea how to do that so don't bother"

Well, long story short she gets PlayOnLinux from the Ubuntu software section, learns it in about 15 minutes and then teaches me how to use it.

I go behind my computer desk and bring out my old CD ROM games that have fallen back there over the years...

I am playing Total Annihilation on my original game disk that I bought in 1998. A 20 year old game-disk and it's playing with no problems at all. I'm amazed - well done Mrs 'Bobface I only wish I could find my copy of Interstate '76.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Wait, your telling me she uses Ubuntu. Asked to use a program then found she could use Wine, figured out how to PlayOnLinux and then taught you so you could play TA, and you still have both your arms and time to play TA? Or is this just the skin of NaffNaffBobFace being manipulated by Mrs Bobface so she doesn't get questioned by the police?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wait, your telling me she uses Ubuntu. Asked to use a program then found she could use Wine, figured out how to PlayOnLinux and then taught you so you could play TA, and you still have both your arms and time to play TA? Or is this just the skin of NaffNaffBobFace being manipulated by Mrs Bobface so she doesn't get questioned by the police?
That gave Mrs 'BobFace a good laugh 🙂

She says she's just Super Smug she figured it all out pretty quickly. She's only had Ubuntu for a couple of days but she seems to have a good handle on it all, though she says she wants a functional Windows machine for Christmas so that's the novelty socks gift idea out the window.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
Ubuntu is a nice little OS. I tried to move to it several years ago. Also did old laptops for the kids with Ubuntu when they were younger. But my wife didn't want to learn it and I ended up going back to Windows. Also there is the games...

Reactions: Bambooza

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
BobFace, this goes in the category of beautiful stories, (in our world)
If Mrs Intruders 2012 Sony laptop stops working, she gives it to me and goes to the shops until it is fixed. She keeps it as 'the keyboard is really nice'
To be honest no new windows laptop under £1000 is as good ergonomically,
What are the main learning points for me here?

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
BobFace, this goes in the category of beautiful stories, (in our world)
If Mrs Intruders 2012 Sony laptop stops working, she gives it to me and goes to the shops until it is fixed. She keeps it as 'the keyboard is really nice'
To be honest no new windows laptop under £1000 is as good ergonomically,
What are the main learning points for me here?
That either @NaffNaffBobFace is a sock puppet, a great fantasy writer or @NaffNaffBobFace gets to play TA and you don't. (Don't feel bad, mine likes her laptop with the half eaten apple on it. )

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?