Need A New Computer? Check Here First!

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Hello TESTies! And welcome to your drunken tech support! This thread is designed to help assist others in getting a new computer ready for Star Citizen. No matter what your current setup is, Currently using some crappy computer from 10 years ago and want a new one? We can help! Have a custom built computer that simply needs a couple upgrades? We can help! Not sure what you need? Ask away and we’ll do our best to answer!

This thread is meant to serve as a general “I need a new computer for Star Citizen!” thread, giving support to all who needs it.

Please post below with the following questions answered as best you can, and myself, or other members will do our best to provide you with the best solution for your budget.
  • What is your location? Prices, websites, and deals vary based on country. This is very important.
  • What is your budget is your currency?
  • Are you looking to build your own computer or do you want a pre-assembled one? Keep in mind that building your own computer, especially at the “mid to high end” levels needed for Star Citizen, you will get a far better deal compared to buying pre-built. However if building your own is simply not an option, we understand. Don’t be scared though! If you’ve never built before, and have general computer hardware knowledge, it’s easy! We’ll help you out.
  • What do you need besides the Desktop Tower? Monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, Operating System disc (lol), etc
  • Any product, store, or manufacturer preferences?
  • What do you plan on using your computer for? Herp, derp, I know. Star Citizen. But certain uses may require tweaks in hardware to be fully efficient.
  • When are you looking to build? If this computer is strictly for Star Citizen, the longer you wait (generally speaking), the better. However if you need a computer at a specific time, we will cater to that. Generally, you don't need to look into building until a few weeks before you want it. Prices and hardware greatly change over the months.
As a good resource for “How to build”, I love LinusTechTips, check out his various “Build Guides” on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTwlcLU_rv29Gt4578XfgJm_

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
There's also this website (http://www.logicalincrements.com/) if you want to figure out a specific tier of PC and see what kind of a budget you might need for it. However to be honest I have no idea on its accuracy. I have just seen it referenced a few times when someone asked "I want a PC that is *this* good. How much money will I need?"

Reactions: Civil Hypocricy

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I actually just got certified as a technician through Cisco! Currently working on the C++ certification through them as well. Happy to help out with this if you need a more in-depth explanation for things like troubleshooting. The actual building skills and parts you want can just be found on the internet, though I've yet to find troubleshooting help that even comes close to what you learn through a Cisco course.

Just PM me if you can't figure out how to install windows, windows is being bitchy, or something else of the like you either can't fix by a search on the internet or are too timid to do without supervision.

Inzlinger

Captain
Jun 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Inzlinger
I'm just going to leave an encouragement to everyone here: build your own desktops.
Srsly its such an easy and fulfilling task. I built my first pc when i was 5, (well kinda my dad let me hold the parts ;) ) and i am hooked up since. My current pc is 100% self-made and I'm saving up for my first closed waterloop, ( really looking forward to it, maybe i should use beer anyone tried that? )

Reactions: scottntot

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I'm just going to leave an encouragement to everyone here: build your own desktops.
Srsly its such an easy and fulfilling task. I built my first pc when i was 5, (well kinda my dad let me hold the parts ;) ) and i am hooked up since. My current pc is 100% self-made and I'm saving up for my first closed waterloop, ( really looking forward to it, maybe i should use beer anyone tried that? )
It could work. Alcohol lowers the freezing temperature of liquids, which means if you had a coolant system, a beer-infused liquid cooling PC could actually run at lower temperatures than a purely water-cooled one.

Reactions: Civil Hypocricy

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I think if i don't work cleanly i will have algae and bacteria all over the place after a few days :D
Which is why you use vodka instead. Higher alcohol content. Temp is lower, and kills anything that so much as touches it

Reactions: rogesh

7ith

Lieutenant
Dec 29, 2014
RSI Handle
7ith
I'll comment here and say that if you're wanting a new machine and you don't have the experience on how to build one or the skill to do so I'll gladly help. I am an IT professional and currently the Director of Information Systems for a private pharmaceutical company. So if you want to build a machine and need someone to build it I'll give you a hand in speccing it out and building it for you. I'll provide you an invoice of what it would normally cost at my hourly rate, that you won't have to pay, and allow you to thank me however you're able to do so. In game or out of game currencies accepted I just don't want to see anyone get ripped off by purchasing prebuilt machines by third parties as they generally have a 20-30% markup.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
I guess here is a good spot to comment. My computer has a Raidmax 630z power supply, with 630W. I tried googling it and I can't find much info on it. Anyways, with my new GTX 970 video card, the PSU makes a coil whine when the video card is under load (yes, im 100% sure the noise is coming from the PSU). The noise is tolerable, at least for now. My PSU with the old card (660ti) didn't produce any coil whine. Do you guys think I should get a new PSU? Any recommendations?

thedeadlybutter

Vice Admiral
Dec 2, 2014
RSI Handle
thedeadlybutters
I actually just got certified as a technician through Cisco! Currently working on the C++ certification through them as well. Happy to help out with this if you need a more in-depth explanation for things like troubleshooting. The actual building skills and parts you want can just be found on the internet, though I've yet to find troubleshooting help that even comes close to what you learn through a Cisco course.

Just PM me if you can't figure out how to install windows, windows is being bitchy, or something else of the like you either can't fix by a search on the internet or are too timid to do without supervision.
I'm only aware of Cisco's networking certs, can you link the ones you're talking about? also sorry to derail this thread further, but why are you getting Cisco's C++ cert? Just make a good looking Github profile with a few nice C++ projects and contribute to a few open source projects, you'll be set!

Civil Hypocricy

Rear Admiral
Nov 8, 2014
RSI Handle
Civil_Hypocrisy
On the note of building PC's, I can give people a hand, as I have built 3 gaming PC's. If you're looking for a professional, I know Fry's Electronics builds PC's and gives a warranty, and I think other places do too. Really, building a PC is easy as long as you look at some manuals and watch a video or two (I suggest Newegg's how to build a PC on youtube, along with LinusTechTips).

Reactions: 7ith

Civil Hypocricy

Rear Admiral
Nov 8, 2014
RSI Handle
Civil_Hypocrisy
There's also this website (http://www.logicalincrements.com/) if you want to figure out a specific tier of PC and see what kind of a budget you might need for it. However to be honest I have no idea on its accuracy. I have just seen it referenced a few times when someone asked "I want a PC that is *this* good. How much money will I need?"
That website is amazing. I have used it multiple times, and it has great peripheral guides as well. If you want to find exact prices, http://pcpartpicker.com/ has updated prices, and multiple stores to choose from to give you the final price of your PC. Along with that, they have a compatibility checker for your parts, which is handy for first time builders.

Reactions: 7ith

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
Here is my info request. I am starting a build for star citizen and am plan to spread it out over the next year. This will be a budget rig.

Step 1 power supply $60 least vulnerable to becoming outdated.

Step 2 mobo $100

Step 3 CPU $150

Step 4 memory $120

Step 5 video card $150 most important and seems like fastest price drops on new tech.

Let me know if you have suggestions, or think I'm a fool.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Here is my info request. I am starting a build for star citizen and am plan to spread it out over the next year. This will be a budget rig.

Step 1 power supply $60 least vulnerable to becoming outdated.

Step 2 mobo $100

Step 3 CPU $150

Step 4 memory $120

Step 5 video card $150 most important and seems like fastest price drops on new tech.

Let me know if you have suggestions, or think I'm a fool.
PM sent sir.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Hi guys, I'm planing on building a new rig and wanted to get your input on this set-up;

Code:
Case:     Cooler Master CM 690 III Closed
CPU:      Intel Core i5-4690K Boxed
CPU Fan:  Scythe Mugen MAX
Mo-bo:    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
GPU:      Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X
Memory:   4x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU
PSU:      Seasonic S12G 550W
SSD:      Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
HDD:      Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001, 2TB
I might wait for the 300 series GPU's to come out though.. anyone know when that will be?

(I'm not planning on OCing right now, the Z97 and K model setup is just so I am future proof, if I do OC I will put in a corsair H100+)

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Hi guys, I'm planing on building a new rig and wanted to get your input on this set-up;

Code:
Case:     Cooler Master CM 690 III Closed
CPU:      Intel Core i5-4690K Boxed
CPU Fan:  Scythe Mugen MAX
Mo-bo:    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
GPU:      Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X
Memory:   4x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU
PSU:      Seasonic S12G 550W
SSD:      Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
HDD:      Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001, 2TB
I might wait for the 300 series GPU's to come out though.. anyone know when that will be?

(I'm not planning on OCing right now, the Z97 and K model setup is just so I am future proof, if I do OC I will put in a corsair H100+)
don't build now. New GPU's will be out soon. You're using current gen hardware when it will be last gen hardware in possibly less than a month. Anywhere between 1 and 3 months the R9 300 series will be out. Wait at least until then.

Also, under no circumstances should you buy a seagate hard drive. They're much, MUCH less reliable than WD or WD's subsidiary HGST. HGST makes the most reliable drives, but WD has lower end hard drives that are still literally twice as reliable as seagate.

You also should REALLY have more RAM, and a 750 watt or at LEAST a 650 watt PSU would be a better choice if you're running an 290X.

Actually, you NEED more RAM. Minimum stated requirements for star citizen is 8gb of RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: supitza

Hydro_Axis

Space Marshal
Mar 3, 2015
RSI Handle
RedBeerdz
Im currently running...

Dell Desktop pc
intel i3 quad core 3.4 ghz
radeon 6850 PCIE
650 Watt Power supply
6 gb ddr3 ram 240 pin

I know the system is low end and I have done my best to upgrade the graphics, and power supply, but due to short term financial issues it is taking longer than i wanted to add RAM. I believe the pc maxes out at 8gb of ram as well but it'll have to do til i get in my new home and fandangle a new budget. Any low cost upgrades I can do to improve this POS to get it SC worthy? Any constructive suggestions or assistance in locating upgrades would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot your password?