Need some help with choosing ships

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
So im looking at the pledge page blankly, wondering what ships to get. I've got about $350 worth of ship and im looking at maybe a carrack. my main interest is bounty hunting and I wouldn't mind Smuggling.

Help plz

Reactions: Walex

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Man oh man @Snakey, I'm freaking with the same dilemmas. Haha. I keep melting my fleet and re-buying. It's annoying and awesome and frustration and fun. I keep thinking I'm done, then I start looking at ships again. Dammit.

So, bounty hunting:
You need a hold to carry those baddies. Avenger, maybe Cutlass? Maybe even go big with a Warden (assuming you can get cells installed).
Smuggling: anything? I'm leaving towards Caterpillar personally. Maybe Carrack. But the BMM looks like a freaking awesome ship too. Even an Connie would be great. The Phoenix...

Reactions: Walex

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
So, bounty hunting:
You need a hold to carry those baddies. Avenger, maybe Cutlass? Maybe even go big with a Warden (assuming you can get cells installed).
Smuggling: anything? I'm leaving towards Caterpillar personally. Maybe Carrack. But the BMM looks like a freaking awesome ship too. Even an Connie would be great. The Phoenix...
It's really tough at the present moment to recommend the cutlass.

I find it interesting that there are quite a number of ships that seem intended for other purposes but could be refitted for bounty hunting. I think by Bounty Hunting, Snakey probably means disable & capture, but bounty hunting does also technically include destroying wanted ships and individuals, if they cannot be captured. I think for the disable and capture, the Avenger and the original concept of the Cutlass would fit. With the Caterpillar being the current largest ship designed for that purpose. With respect to re purposing other ships, I could easily see an Andromeda or a Carrack also being fitted with disabling weapons. For lethal target neutralization, I could see The Vanguard (and it's variants) for taking down mid-size ships, or the Hornet Ghost, or one of the dogfighting superiority fighters (SuperHornet or Sabre) for targets in fighters, aka if you don't need to transport a body, you don't need cargo space. The real question will be how will you capture or neutralize a target when they hide away in a large, well-armored, well-shielded, well-armed corvette/capital ship?

Smuggling I think is tough to judge at this stage since we don't know about cargo scanning. In other games (and in real life) this has usually meant either stealth (switching off engines and drifting through checkpoints/brushes with law enforcement to mimic space debris) or speed (blockade running). So I could easily see an Andromeda or Taurus outfitted with supercharged sub-light engines racing just on the edge of sensor ranges.

I feel like the Banu is just going to raise eyebrows for suspicions of smuggling, and I currently have one in the hangar.

It's like: "What? Me? Selling drugs? What gave you that ridiculous idea?"

I'd really like to see what they do with the Caterpillar. I didn't feel there was enough to go on to pick one up during the Anniversary 2015 sale. But I hold out hope that they will get some love. I've almost given up on the Phoenix though, development of that went a very unexpected direction!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

I find it interesting that there are quite a number of ships that seem intended for other purposes but could be refitted for bounty hunting. I think by Bounty Hunting, Snakey probably means disable & capture, but bounty hunting does also technically include destroying wanted ships and individuals, if they cannot be captured. I think for the disable and capture, the Avenger and the original concept of the Cutlass would fit. With the Caterpillar being the current largest ship designed for that purpose. With respect to re purposing other ships, I could easily see an Andromeda or a Carrack also being fitted with disabling weapons. For lethal target neutralization, I could see The Vanguard (and it's variants) for taking down mid-size ships, or the Hornet Ghost, or one of the dogfighting superiority fighters (SuperHornet or Sabre) for targets in fighters, aka if you don't need to transport a body, you don't need cargo space. The real question will be how will you capture or neutralize a target when they hide away in a large, well-armored, well-shielded, well-armed corvette/capital ship?

Smuggling I think is tough to judge at this stage since we don't know about cargo scanning. In other games (and in real life) this has usually meant either stealth (switching off engines and drifting through checkpoints/brushes with law enforcement to mimic space debris) or speed (blockade running). So I could easily see an Andromeda or Taurus outfitted with supercharged sub-light engines racing just on the edge of sensor ranges.

I feel like the Banu is just going to raise eyebrows for suspicions of smuggling, and I currently have one in the hangar.

I'd really like to see what they do with the Caterpillar. I didn't feel there was enough to go on to pick one up during the Anniversary 2015 sale. But I hold out hope that they will get some love. I've almost given up on the Phoenix though, development of that went a very unexpected direction!
I have a Caterpillar that I'll use as my smuggler/bounty hunter. I like the modularity. I really like the modularity. A huge amount. Couple distortion cannons and a tractor beam. Bam. Sucker punch to the face, you're mine now...sucker!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

I have a Caterpillar that I'll use as my smuggler/bounty hunter. I like the modularity. I really like the modularity. A huge amount. Couple distortion cannons and a tractor beam. Bam. Sucker punch to the face, you're mine now...sucker!

Also, the Cat has been getting a huge amount of love. She'll be hanger ready Soon(tm)

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG

Ive got a harbinger on buyback... but idk if its worth it because id like some cargo space aswell :/

Reactions: Walex and Blind Owl
Forgot your password?