Need some help with RAID

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
I’m trying to get my PC to run from a RAID 0 setup, but I’m encountering some problems…

Previously, my rig was running from one of my 2 SSDs, the other being a storage drive. As I ran out of space on both drives and needed room for MOAR GAEMS, I bought a 2tb WD Red, initially to run as an extra storage drive.

I then thought “maybe I could get the SSDs running as RAID 0”, because speed, so I cloned the boot drive to the HDD and moved all the data from the storage SSD to an external hard drive. I then set up the SSDs as RAID 0 using the motherboard’s raid software, having unplugged the HDD to make sure nothing happened to the OS.

Once the RAID was set up, I plugged my HDD back in and tried to boot from BIOS, which failed (it got past the initial windows logo before text came up saying boot failed or something along those lines). Following this, I unplugged all my drives and reset my motherboard to clear the RAID setting before plugging my HDD back in, which proceeded to successfully boot.

What I am hoping to be able to do is run my OS from my SSDs in RAID 0, with the HDD acting as a storage drive / game library (which I may also put into a 3 drive RAID 6 in the future)

Do I need a RAID controller? Is it even possible? Any help appreciated

Computer specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r White
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Hero Vii
CPU: Intel 4790k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833mhz 16gb (4x4gb)
Cooling: Corsair H110 with Noctua NF-A14 fans + IC diamond paste
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming Edition 4gb x1
Power: Corsair AX860i
Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250gb x2, WD Red 2TB x 1
Operating System; Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I am looking up your motherboard right now to see what raid support it has

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Ok your board supports raid 0,1,5,10 and here's your manual check chapter 5 fyi you have a very basic raid controller so this should be pretty straightforward to do if you read chapter 5 :) its like most i haved used in the past

Last edited:
Reactions: Harkuno
Forgot your password?