New GPU not working plz halp

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Hey guys, I've been trying to get my new GTX 970 to work since it arrived today, but with no luck. It's evidently receiving power as the "MSI" white writing lights up, as well as a red light on the GPU, yet I can't seem to get any signal on my monitor with either a HDMI cable or a VGA cable.

I have installed the drivers from the CD that came in the packaging, I've installed the GPU in a PCI-E slot, and connected the extra cable that came with it to a 6-pin from my PSU (also connected to the mobo), but to no avail.

My old card (750ti) still works fine, as I'm using it to be able to type this, so I don't think it's an issue with the mobo or my PSU.

Anyone else got a 970 and had any similar difficulties installing? I'm well prepared to accept the possibility that I'm being an idiot and have missed something.

Devil Doge

Grand Admiral
Mar 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Double_Jinx
if the card is not posting and it has enough power than it sounds like its dead on arrival. id replace it with another one

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
Looking on google it looks like the 970 has both a 8pin and 6pin connector going into the card. As long as both have been plugged in, then would suggest re-seating the card (incase a proper connection hasnt been made). If still no go then would suggest RMA for replacement.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Looking on google it looks like the 970 has both a 8pin and 6pin connector going into the card.
Yeah it has two connectors going into the card, but only an 8 pin connector cable (8 pin connection into the card, 6 pin the other end to connect to 6-pin PSU cable) came with the box, so I assumed only the 8-pin was necessary, which I've plugged the 6-pin end into a 6-pin PSU connector running into my mobo. As the lights came on after I'd done that figured I didn't need the other 6-pin. If I need to get another cable I'll be annoyed, as that means I have to go out and buy another double-sided 6-pin to go from the PSU to the GPU...

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
You need to plug both cables from the PSU into both the 8pin and 6pin
Ay-ay-ay, ok, I'll see if I have another cable kicking around, or else I'll have to go into town to get one...

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I got the picture to show by disconnecting a PCI-E connector from my mobo and connected it to the GPU, so I guess I had it plugged into something unnecessary. Hopefully after I update drivers from the NVIDIA website everything will be good!

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
Hmm.... out of curiousity what motherboard have you got? haven't found an unnecessary power connector on a motherboard before.

**ok after a little more googling found the answer. Some mobo's have an extra pci-e power connector on the board to provide more power when running cards in SLI.**

Last edited:

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Hmm.... out of curiousity what motherboard have you got?
It's an MSI 990FXA-GD65.

Some mobo's have an extra pci-e power connector on the board to provide more power when running cards in SLI.
This might be the reason, if I'm honest I'm not quite sure why it was plugged into the socket on the mobo, it had been plugged it in there since I built it so whenever I took my pc apart I always put it back!

Forgot your password?