New TESTie Flight Tool

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
About:
The TESTie Flight Tool aims to make fixed guns easier for mouse pilots while keeping flight natural. It is easier to fly and maneuver with gimbals unlocked, but easier to aim fixed weapons with gimbals locked. Either locking or unlocking gimbals before a fight means you are at a significant maneuverability or aiming disadvantage, respectively. Ideally you want to swap between modes rapidly so you have the benefits of both, which is exactly what TFT does!

TESTie Flight Tool creates a momentary switch for gimbal lock so you hold down a key or mouse button when you need to aim and the rest of the time you have full gimbal and flight control. Or, if you prefer to have gimbals locked most of the time and just hold the key to turn, you can use it that way too.

If you fly with a mouse, please try out TESTie Flight Tool and give feedback right here! Let me know you need more or different modifier keys, if there are any problems, and if you find it helpful. Eventually I'd like to consider adding more macros and hotkeys so suggestions would be awesome, too.

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Download the latest version of TFT (Build 2.4b, released June 10 2016)
    http://www.mammonlord.com/TESTie Flight Tool 2.4b.zip
  2. Extract and run TESTie Flight Tool.exe
    This file is clean! However, Windows or your virus scanner may block the file simply because it is unknown. I wrote, compiled, and host this app and promise it is just a simple hotkey and nothing more. You can safely select the Run Anyway, Ignore, or the equivalent option. If you really don't want to trust me, click here.
  3. Select whichever modifier key will be most useful for you.
  4. Run Star Citizen and load up a ship with fixed guns.
  5. Hold down the modifier key to aim. If you prefer, press right alt + J to toggle how the hotkey works.
Please let me know what you think in this thread!

More information:
Gimballed guns are awesome for mouse users, but it's pretty hard to aim fixed guns and non-tracking missiles. If you press right alt. + J, it's much easier to aim fixed weapons but it really sucks to fly that way because you constantly have to pick up and move your mouse -- and it's impossible to make a smooth or fast turn. This was originally documented by the illustrious CG-Pepper. (Note that this video is outdated; ignore the instructions it contains)

Here's a post about how weapon sizes work, but long story short if you use fixed weapons they can be more powerful!

If you're willing, please upvote in the Community Hub to help spread the word j.mp/ntft

Last edited:

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
If you don't want to download strange .exe files from the some weird guy on the internet, you can compile and run the script yourself. :) You'll need to install AutoHotkey, which is a widely recognized automation scripting language.

Here's the important parts of the script:
Code:
#IfWinActive Star Citizen

Hotkey, ~XButton1, XMouseButton1 ;Create a hotkey for Mouse Thumb Button 1
return

XMouseButton1:
   Send {RAlt Down}j{RAlt Up}
   While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
   {
     ;Sleep 10 ; Optionally reduce responsiveness if you have a very slow CPU.
   }
   Send {RAlt Down}j{RAlt Up}
return
Note that you must run the script as an Administrator because Star Citizen runs with elevated privileges. If you don't feel like all the hassle, just use my pre-compiled version.

Last edited:

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
@MammonLord I will be happy to TEST this for you.

However, I have some questions as I need clarification.
CIG has changed the wording on some functions as well as the keybindings.

Let me explain:
I use M&K and always use fixed weapons. Also, I always fly in Relative Mode.
I have no idea what Reticle Mode or Free Look Mode does. Please explain.
Why would I ever want to fly in Gimbaled Mode with Fixed weapons? Please explain for a Dummy. Thanks.

Questions:
1. In CG-Peppers video, he shows and says to press Left Ctrl - C for Relative Mode.
In 2.4.0 pressing the Left Ctrl key will Strafe Down. C is for Free Look and Left Alt-C is Look Behind.
So, I am confused. I Strafe Down & Toggle Free Look now for Relative Mode?

2. On the 2.4.0 keyboard, Interactive and Relative Modes are not shown - What are they now called?

So, before in Install & TEST your App, please educate me regarding these Modes. (Remember, I am a Dummy)
Interactive v Relative
Reticle Mode
Free Look

Gimbal Lock I understand.

Does your ship only fit fixed guns (like the Aurora and Merlin) or do you prefer to fit one size larger guns for more kick?
If my ship ONLY fits Fixed weapons, please explain HOW I install one size larger Gimbaled weapons?
I am Truly confused. My Auroras have Size 1 Fixed weapons in the front. How exactly do I install Size 2 weapons there?
The Auroras have Size 2 Fixed weapons on the wings, How do I install Size 3 weapons there?
You probably want TESTie Flight Tool!
How does TESTie Flight Tool accomplish this?

Thank so much for educating a true TEST Dummy.
I have downloaded your App and await knowledge before Installing & TESTing it.
Thanks.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I am extremely interested in wht CG-Peppers ship did not Strafe Down and go into Free Look Mode when he pressed Left Ctrl - C.

I just did the same thing in PTU 2.4.0 and MY ship Strafed Down, went into Free Look Mode and I was Dead. (Pirate shot me you see)
I am so confused. CG-Pepper's ship responds differently then mine. How can this be?
I have watched that portion of the video several times.

Please notice in the video that CG-Pepper presses Left Ctrl first then C.

Duh. I am a TEST Dummy.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I am extremely interested in wht CG-Peppers ship did not Strafe Down and go into Free Look Mode when he pressed Left Ctrl - C.

I just did the same thing in PTU 2.4.0 and MY ship Strafed Down, went into Free Look Mode and I was Dead. (Pirate shot me you see)
I am so confused. CG-Pepper's ship responds differently then mine. How can this be?
I have watched that portion of the video several times.

Please notice in the video that CG-Pepper presses Left Ctrl first then C.

Duh. I am a TEST Dummy.

CG-Peppers video is more than a year old, long before the 2.4 keyboard changes.
It is being used as an example of why someone with gimballed weapons and a mouse might want to use such a hotkey process.

Beyond that, I got Nothin

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
Mr. Cosmic! Thank you for helping to test. As a fixed weapon mouse pilot, you're exactly who I want for testing. :)

CG Pepper's video is very old. Perhaps I just confused the whole issue by including it. :( Don't follow the video as that only applies to 2.3 and earlier. Please ignore all the stuff about pressing Alt and Ctrl + C.

OK, here's a better explanation about the flight modes:
When flying your ships with fixed guns, the mouse cursor moves around but the weapons stay pointed in the center. In this mode it is very easy to fly but quite hard to hit anything since you can't directly control your ship. While holding down the modifier key with TESTie Flight Tool running, your ship switches to direct control which makes aiming fixed weapons much easier! Try it out while not in combat to get used to the modes.

Since Ctrl is now strafe down we'll need to find a different default modifier key. If your mouse has thumb buttons please use those instead.

About fixed and gimballed weapons:
You can fit a full-sized fixed weapon into a weapon slot, or a gimballed weapon one size smaller. For example, the Hornet has Size 3 weapon slots on its wings. That means you can install full size 3 fixed weapons or one size smaller gimballed size 2 guns.

Another example is the old faithful Aurora. She has size 2 wing mounts that can either hold size 2 fixed weapons or size 1 gimballed weapons. However, the front weapon slots are only size 1 so they can only fit fixed size 1 guns.

I think the confusion happened because most mouse pilots fly with gimballed weapons so i wrote my post assuming that. Since you are are already using fixed weapons, you don't need to change anything! :)

I will try to get on Discord today to help out! :)

Last edited:

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
OK, here's a better explanation about the flight modes:
When flying your ships, the mouse cursor moves around but the weapons stay pointed in the center. In this mode it is very easy to fly but quite hard to hit anything since you can't directly control your ship. While holding down the modifier key with TESTie Flight Tool running, your ship switches to direct control which makes aiming fixed weapons much easier! Try it out while not in combat to get used to the modes.
Thanks for your info, much appreciated. Prior to 2.4.0 these modes were called Interactive & Relative Modes. However, someone has decided to call this action by some other term and I am yet to find anyone who knows the key(s) or if indeed these 'Modes' still exist. I am awaiting a reply from 2 Devs. The default flight is certainly Interactive in that a Large circle is moved, your gimbaled weapons follow it and the ship slowly turns towards it. When I select 'Gimbal Lock - (R Alt + J) the flight mode changes to what used to be called Relative and the weapons follow ship movement.
This is how I now play.
"When flying your ships, the mouse cursor moves around but the weapons stay pointed in the center. In this mode it is very easy to fly " Not for me it isn't. I have not used this Mode for over a 1 1/2 years.

Therefore: If your App simplifies the Gimbal Lock command to a single key press (R Alt + J) to say a side Mouse button then this will work and is a wonderful tool. I will indeed check this out.

What confused me regarding the weapon sizes was your following comment;
Does your ship only fit fixed guns (like the Aurora and Merlin) or do you prefer to fit one size larger guns for more kick? You probably want TESTie Flight Tool!
As you can see, you implied that if the ship has fixed size X weapons then I would somehow be able to replaced them with one size larger guns.
I understand the weapon porting system and this is why I did not understand.

*** Currently the following key 'commands' exist as well.

1. Reticle Mode
2. Reticle Focus
3. Target Focus
4. Cycle Mouse Move Mode *
5. Cycle Mouse Aim Mode *
* These 2 modes drove me nuts last night. No idea how they are supposed to help me.

None of these are useful, to me at least, and I honestly don't know exactly what they are supposed to do. At least not now.
I tried all of them earlier today.

Conclusion: TESTie Flight Tool is designed to toggle between what we know as Interactive & Relative Modes (even if CIG has decided to rename them). This will work and will be very helpful to all Mouse & Keyboard users.

You have done a great service to a huge percentage of Backers.
Thank you for taking your time to help the TEST members and indeed the SC Community.
You deserve MVP for making & sharing this App.
Well done........

I Salute you.
' Ole Cosmic

*** The App shall be tested several times tonight and I will report back here for all to read.

***** I use Voice Attack (VA) for such commands. And as many TEST members (and Backers) are using VA and indeed now getting the HSC Voice Packs for Star Citizen, I suggest they consider this option - AS WELL AS using the TESTie Flight Tool App as a back-up.

Upon spawning into AC or lifting off a pad in the Universe, I simply give the following command to VA and it executes 3 key presses;
"RESET"
1. Backspace - Full speed
2. L ALT + T - Turns my lights off to make the Radar display easier to see.
3. R ALT + J - Gimbal Lock

Within 1 sec my ship is accelerating to full speed, my Radar is visible and my weapons are Locked (also flight mode is the same as Relative Mode). I am now ready for battle.

Just my humble contribution.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Results of TESTie Flight Toll testing:

Success - It PASSED
TESTie Flight Tool works great.

I Highly recommend using it. It is simple to install and set up.

Only one suggestion:
'Ole Cosmic has a stubby thumb and I find Mouse Thumb Button 1 difficult to use while concentrating on killing the bad guys.
I use Mouse Thumb Button 2 for Push to Talk (PTT) as this is easy again when fighting.

Please, may we have more Button Options? I would like Mouse Button # 2 as I re-bind this to # 1 so that all my weapons at once.
Thanks.

Outstanding App.
Please put this in the RSI Community Hub and provide 'Ole Cosmic with the Link so that I may spam it everywhere.

@MammonLord I really appreciate your work on this. In fact, I will now be using it all the time as it made Flight/Shooting much simpiler.
Thank you....

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
I need ideas for hotkeys. Left Control is out since it's strafe down now. I wonder if left-handed folks would like a modifier on the other side of the keyboard like Numpad 0, minus, or enter.

Reactions: StdDev and AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I don't get it: what is the function of this tool? Because within PU as also within PTU you can redefine and individualize every single key of your keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick or hotas layout...
So whats the deal about?

Reactions: StdDev

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
I don't get it: what is the function of this tool? Because within PU as also within PTU you can redefine and individualize every single key of your keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick or hotas layout...
So whats the deal about?
Star Citizen only allows you to create a toggle, so gimbal lock is either on or off and you have to press a key to change that. TESTie Flight Tool creates a momentary switch. You have gimbal lock on (or off) while you hold down the key, then it goes back when you release the key. :)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Ah, okay, thanks. Erm, though I don't see the advantage of that in it. Isn't it more "heavy-handed" to press and hold the whole time a key down instead of quickly switching on and off...? I mean, when I'm going into a dogfight I - depending on the ship - lock or unlock the gimbals and then go for it. Why holding down a special key? In case of mixed mounts you can fire with a fixed mounted weapon on button one and gimbals on button two (i.e. the Avenger). But having read all the text walls before I have this feeling that I missed something. I don't know. Currently, I go into a fight using, well, my flight skills + unlock button for flying in one direction but turning the ship for i.e. firing backwards + strafe buttons (hotas throttle left hand).
Is there any fly mode which I've missed until now...?

Reactions: StdDev

MammonLord

The Gatekeeper
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
mammon
Ah, okay, thanks. Erm, though I don't see the advantage of that in it. Isn't it more "heavy-handed" to press and hold the whole time a key down instead of quickly switching on and off...? I mean, when I'm going into a dogfight I - depending on the ship - lock or unlock the gimbals and then go for it. Why holding down a special key? In case of mixed mounts you can fire with a fixed mounted weapon on button one and gimbals on button two (i.e. the Avenger). But having read all the text walls before I have this feeling that I missed something. I don't know. Currently, I go into a fight using, well, my flight skills + unlock button for flying in one direction but turning the ship for i.e. firing backwards + strafe buttons (hotas throttle left hand).
Is there any fly mode which I've missed until now...?
It is easier to fly and maneuver with gimbals unlocked, but easier to aim fixed weapons with gimbals locked. Either locking or unlocking gimbals before a fight means you are at a significant maneuverability or aiming disadvantage, respectively. Ideally you want to swap between modes rapidly so you have the benefits of both, which is exactly what TFT does. May I suggest you try the app? I think that's better than me trying to explain. :)

Forgot your password?