New thrust system and HOTAS

Max Caliber

Commander
Nov 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Max Caliber
I was wondering if anyone is flying using a HOTAS and if the modifications 3.6 has made to thrust has improved or made using a HOTAS even more difficult?

I'm getting ready to either buy a HOTAS or HOSAS setup and trying to get an idea of whether they are making things harder for HOTAS users. I know most people say HOSAS is better, but I like the added button control a HOTAS provides.

Reactions: Vavrik

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Why not Hotasas? just kidding. (On the other hand an additional T16000M isn't that expensive and you get another 9DOF+throttle for more input fidelity)
Just pointing out that for more buttons other options exist like elcato stream deck, gameglass, Lea extended input, Rocat power grid.

I'm using hosas. I think the current state of 3.6 hasn't changed a lot for input devices. Tilting your ship might be easier with Strafe on your stick. Though maybe someone with HOTAS has a different opinion on this topic.

Last edited:

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Why not Hotasas? just kidding. (On the other hand an additional T16000M isn't that expensive and you get another 9DOF+throttle for more input fidelity)
Just pointing out that for more buttons other options exist like elcato stream deck, gameglass, Lea extended input, Rocat power grid.

I'm using hosas. I think the current state of 3.6 hasn't changed a lot for input devices. Tilting your ship might be easier with Strafe on your stick. Though maybe someone with HOTAS has a different opinion on this topic.
I Actually use HOTASAS XP

Like, for real,

I have an X52 HOTAS that I use for general flight, and then a logitech 3d extreme off to the side for when im doing stuff like landing, or fine manouvering, even some dogfights where im strafing a lot.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I use a HOTAS and 3.6 seems mostly the same as far as general flight. Hover mode is completely broken with it but I'm pretty sure that issue is input indiscriminate. You should be able to use the thrust control to make landing adjustments easier but at the moment hover mode seems to ignore that and just launch you into things as soon as you start to move.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I haven't been in 3.6 yet, courtesy of my new career move ... but if the HOTAS setup is the same as 3.5.1 I'm in luck. I found that you can still implement the old flight control model. I just took a small ship into the single player version of Arena Commander, so I could figure out what I had to do to get the throttle to work the way I wanted.

The Throttle Forward/Back bothers me, because there should never be an ambiguous throttle setting like that. So removed the default settings and left it blank. If you look up a few lines in the setup, you'll see that the Throttle Forward and Throttle Back still exist. But I only defined the Throttle forward. I have to reverse thrust by using a button or keyboard key (the normal S key). The setting is on purpose. I don't like having to look or guess where my throttle is set, and in a VTOL I like actually being able to stop forward or reverse movement. Not tested in 3.6!!!

It also works fine in combat. Any deficiency I have there is due to "operator configuration."

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I Actually use HOTASAS XP
I use HOSASOT 😉, I only have 2 hands, so I'm limited to Hands On Stick And Stick Or Throttle and yes, I really love it. In 3.5.1 there are 3 flight modes:
  • dogfight : HOSAS (throttle 100%, limiter at SCM speed)
  • PU flight : HOSAT (or HOTAS 😁)
  • Maneuvering : HOSAS (throttle 0%, limiter between 0 and SCM speed)
3.6 adds one flight mode:
  • Hovering : HOSAS

Jar'Gon

Admiral
Jul 14, 2018
RSI Handle
Crusade
I have not yet played 3.6 as I am waiting for the live version.

I have an X56 and set it up like Vavrik on 3.5.1. I found a YouTube video which explained how to set it up like that. If I want to quickly kill throttle or hover without slowly drifting forward or backward, centering stop on the throttle was not intuitive to me, particularly if I got way too close to a wall or something and panic pulled my joystick back all the way.

I also bound UP/DOWN thrusters to the left thumb joystick and FWD/REV/L/R thrusters to the right thumb joystick for things like landing or even sometimes during dogfights or other flight maneuvers. I do enjoy the plethora of buttons every where so I doubt I'll ever go dual stick.

They also mentioned on SC Live that they will be fine-tuning hover mode.

Forgot your password?