New Tobii Eye (and head) Tracker (the 4c)

Seagon

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Seagon
Hey guys,

I am just really excited, but really didn't want to necro the old topic from back in Feb :slight_smile:

I just received the brand new Tobii 4c eye tracker which is a way better model than the original EyeX... Supposedly... need to test still... with beer.

Some main improvements:
1. Added head tracking!
2. Added an on-board "EyeChip" which processes all eye tracking instead of letting the CPU do that (Head tracking is still on the CPU though)
3. smaller and less visible red lights (barely visible i think cause it uses only NIR 850nm)
4. Integrated USB2 instead of separate USB3 ONLY cable :smile:
5. quality improvements and enhancements.

And here is a screenshot of the "technical" differences :slight_smile:
Capture.PNG
I am so going to test the sh*bbles out of this :smile:

P.S.: I have used the original EyeX since the release of the Division (package deal back then with the Steelseries Sentry which is basically the same thing, just rebranded) and am loving it.
Even sold my Track IR5 and Track Clip Pro since i got this.

It's a solid performer, i am so curious how the 4c will perform.

Last edited:

Seagon

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Seagon
Well, comparing the functionality between the EyeX and the 4c you can "see" (pun intended) the jitter is less (when using the gaze trace to see the focus circle), making the performance overall a bit more smoothe.
Also, the 3 bright red dots have been replaced by 2 less bright red dots on the left and right of the controller and 6 really small equally less bright center lights in a 3x3 horizontally stacked pattern.

It's overall a better, less intrusive sight underneath the monitor.

I only tried it in WD2 and the screen extension functionality is nice and smoothe, but the "hack at gaze" is really flimsy from how it's implemented in game (this is not Tobii's fault however).

When my Monster Tech desk mount arrives this week i will try it out with Elite: Dangerous as they are supposedly running a beta on the head tracking part of this controller.

Fugly

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Fugly-The_Ugly_One
Hi,

I've got the 4c as well. i owned the eyeX First and returned it after 2 days because some problems with it. Now the 4c came and i was all excited. i have it for over a month now and i haven't seen any Action with headtracking yet. Not even a Demo inside the software itself. Bummer. However the eyetracking inside the Division works well. I would still love some improvement with the Mouse warp function. But oval the eyetracking ingame it's ok.

Now is it worth spending 150 Euro for this.. my opinion at this moment NO. to less of a functionality to be really of any use. Heck i use it more To log in my windows then anything els. "Windows Hello" When the head tracking API will come out if it comes out. it would probably have more functions but for now. it's just a more expensive eyeX.

Seagon

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Seagon
@Fugly

I have a couple of Tobii games and more are coming with support for it and i think i use the 4c nearly every day for a few hours.

Headtracking is beta only right now and just for Elite: Dangerous, they still need to work on it but in E-D it does feel solid and makes for much snappier response. It would be nice to have a bit of a showcase for it inside their software, but i don't miss it. I have E-D and i gave it a few test runs and to be honest, It's really good. Sure it has some work to be done, but in combination with eye tracking it's really nice and snappy in response, far more than just the eye tracking.

I hope it will go out of beta and into more games.

the 4c is more expensive, sure. But you do get more freedom with the USB2 support vs USB3 only, less issues, higher accuracy (i did notice the tracking works a lot smoother than the original EyeX) The fixed cable makes it less prone to have connector issues.

All in all, i am glad i made the swap, it may not have all functionality right now, but hey... we're all buying early access games, why not hardware?

Forgot your password?