New variant on the way (3.18)

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez
Great opinions, appreciate it. Definitely (pending co-pilot functions) doesn't take the Mantis out of the picture as much as I was feeling.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
From what I can see in the current leaks on pipeline, the Antares is likely retaining the second seat\copilot, but not the turret.

If the EMP and QED can be operated by the pilot, this would likely superceded the Mantis due to the better firepower and added EMP compared to the capacity of the Mantis.

If, however, the EMP and QED are only able to be used by the co-pilot, you are then forced to chose between the Antares (with 4 S3 hardpoints and 16 S2 missiles) or a Mantis (2 S3 hardpoints, 4 S2 missiles) and either a Hawk (4 S2, 2 S1 hardpoints), Avenger Warlock (1 S4, 2 S2 hardpoints, 4 S2 missiles), or a Vanguard Sentinel (1 S5, 4 S2 hardpoints, 16 S2 missiles) for the same number of players. In this case, the Mantis and one of the other options would likely give a better return, having more firepower as well as adding a second ship for the target to have to worry about.

Of course, I'm not a combat pilot, so this is all entirely theoretical...
Saw those pictures in Pipeline with the turret removed, but wasn't sure how to take that considering all the other devices on hardpoints were removed as well.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The only good NERF comes out the barrel of a toy.. or many toys when the grandsons are involved.

*sighs dejectedly in Ares Ion*

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Saw those pictures in Pipeline with the turret removed, but wasn't sure how to take that considering all the other devices on hardpoints were removed as well.
The most recent, colour pictures on Pipeline would suggest there is no turret on the Antares (or that if there is, it is limited to the lower rear posiion only but not shown), as there are no rails for a turret to travel on and the upper turret location looks like it is the location of the EMP (and\or QED), which would be unlikely to be positioned underneath a turret.

While it is possible that the EMP and QED are completely enclosed, the precedent set by the Mantis where the QED is exposed in order to operate suggests that there won't be an upper turret.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
The most recent, colour pictures on Pipeline would suggest there is no turret on the Antares (or that if there is, it is limited to the lower rear posiion only but not shown), as there are no rails for a turret to travel on and the upper turret location looks like it is the location of the EMP (and\or QED), which would be unlikely to be positioned underneath a turret.

While it is possible that the EMP and QED are completely enclosed, the precedent set by the Mantis where the QED is exposed in order to operate suggests that there won't be an upper turret.
From those pics it looks like the exposed part is right where the turret would be sitting in the base Scorpius. so think its certainly a 'no' on the turret at this point. Probably for the best.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
According to Pipeline, the QED has been downgraded from a snare + dampener to being solely a dampener.

So it has gone from being a competitor to the Mantis, to instead being a competitor to the Cutlass Blue as far as this functionality goes.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
According to Pipeline, the QED has been downgraded from a snare + dampener to being solely a dampener.

So it has gone from being a competitor to the Mantis, to instead being a competitor to the Cutlass Blue as far as this functionality goes.
This is probably the sanest answer to the problems that were swirling up around this. The Blue and Antares still have enough differentiation in what they do to not be rendered irrelevant by the other. The Blue still acts as a prisoner transport (game loop pending) and has its turret intact, some cargo space, and a higher top speed. The Antares has the EMP and handles better when maneuvering (or at least the base Scorpius does).

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Probably the second seat will be the only one able to use emp and qed. If that is the case then this ship is not that interesting, as you can use a mantis (faster interceptor) and a warlock (similar S4 emp) with the same 2 ppl, and more firepower together.
I think it is highly likely the second seat is obsolete.

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
I'm thinking that if the variant gets snare + dampener, then it will be OP. If it is just the dampener, then the Blue is better at a lower cost.

Off topic regarding QED, but on topic for RSI variants: Part of me wishes they'd provide a variant of the mantis for something like exploration as it has a pretty efficient interior. Or maybe remove the QED and add some turrets with a bit of storage to make it an all-purpose ship.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I'm thinking that if the variant gets snare + dampener, then it will be OP. If it is just the dampener, then the Blue is better at a lower cost.

Off topic regarding QED, but on topic for RSI variants: Part of me wishes they'd provide a variant of the mantis for something like exploration as it has a pretty efficient interior. Or maybe remove the QED and add some turrets with a bit of storage to make it an all-purpose ship.
In agreement on the Mantis.. that's a visually cool chassis, and an efficient interior. It has potential that would make a pathfinder version desirable.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
It has been stated, I think in the Mantis Q&A, that there is a goal for QED devices to eventually be available for ship utility hardpoints (i.e. the nose hardpoint on the 315p). Not heard anything since, but the tech debt to get to that point is gigantic so wouldn't expect the idea to even be talked about for a couple more years.

For bounty hunting especially, I would expect it to be possible to pick a ship with a couple of SCU for the 'cell', add a bounty hunter blade to the computer, mount a QED and a couple of distortions. Requiring bespoke ships for the role telegraphs intent, which does run somewhat contrary to the 'vision'. We are supposed to make intentional choices which limit our gameplay, but that is not always intended to be obvious to the other player.

Whether it actually happens probably depends more on how much arm twisting CIG decides to apply to players working together than on any underlying game tech.
This is the game with stock smuggling compartments in ships and mines in empty 3D space. I wouldn't put too much stock in logic with CIG. It's all about the "rule of cool" and selling specialized ships for specialized purposes.

Forgot your password?