News crytek/CIG case

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
As a total law "noob" (something opposite of a lawyer I guess) I see that ruling is conditional on absence of "prominent display" of Lumberyard ads, and as such leaves a decent chance for Crytek to continue
Lumberyard being displayed in the launcher I doubt is going to hold much weight to that question. Prominent display would be plastering it Open for the world to see.

Reactions: Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Lumberyard being displayed in the launcher I doubt is going to hold much weight to that question. Prominent display would be plastering it Open for the world to see.
Also the disclaimer in the launcher opening splash screen that says "Pre-launch credits non-contractual" helps too 🙂

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Look at the way Everquest II displayed the nvidia splash. It was a full screen add all by itself for at least several seconds. The lumberyard item is minor in comparison.

Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer and don’t know how the laws would interpret this.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is the curious part to me.

The hired Skadden to represent them, which is an extremely expensive and highly respected NY based law firm.

Either they had an existing retainer that they wanted to use up, or they were using fresh money to do this. If they went into this with fresh money, it was a hail mary play which just bombed badly.
Hail Mary it is. This has smacked of *SCO vs (Virtually everyone who even heard of Linux). That one had a few twists that were hilarious. The problem is, it can drag on for years. In both cases I'm almost 100% sure the idea was "We either win, or they try to buy us". That's the Hail Mary. Problem is, it's virtually always the pipe dream of a failing company.

*SCO was also a Linux distribution developer, and provided the very software they claimed was stolen... in their own open source distribution... and freely used the GPL license for it. Really strange case.

Forgot your password?