Next Great Star Marine

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404

"The Next Great Star Marine is like Next Great Starship, similar format, Omar, Forrest, Skelton, Sean Tracy, CR, and a guest judge will do it. Prereq is designing your own helmet, actual competition is for a Class 9 Titan suit. It’s one of the bits of the lore everyone’s excited about seeing in game, so they’re going to do a new contest to get one."

Would be awesome to get a TEST team together :D

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

"The Next Great Star Marine is like Next Great Starship, similar format, Omar, Forrest, Skelton, Sean Tracy, CR, and a guest judge will do it. Prereq is designing your own helmet, actual competition is for a Class 9 Titan suit. It’s one of the bits of the lore everyone’s excited about seeing in game, so they’re going to do a new contest to get one."

I'm in for the 3D modelling part. We will need a good concept artist.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'm pretty basic in Blender, but I was working on a ship before stuff happened. I'd be willing to help out with concept art/ideas and modelling/texturing. Who else up for starting a TEST team for this?

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
I'd could only help at the beginning with material gathering and rough sketches/concepts.

A TEST team would rock TNGTitanArmor :)

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth

We need a TEST branded team ! Maybe we can fund some of the designers we have in the org through some donations or something to help motivate them!

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
T.E.S.T Corp. - The Exploration Standard Testing Corporation. An up and coming manufacturer of protective suits and helmets for long range exploration of planets and solar phenomena. TEST hit it big with the release of their TEST MK2 space helmet. Featuring an improved HUD over the MK1 and newly embedded sensors, the MK2 is able to detect even small changes in solar activity letting the user keep their safety well in hand. The MK2 also give real time feedback as to the atmospheric composition including possible contaminates when down on a strange new planet. In addition the helmet features an auto darkening and glare reducing face shield with a slip surface outer face so nothing will stick ensuring maximum visibility at all times.

Just something I thought up this morning.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I keep seeing this concept work from Johnson Ting pop up time and time again, if we make anything with a similar facial display I'm sure it would be a crowd favorite.

It stands to reason that many other teams will be doing something similar though. It will take more than than to really catch an early lead. It's a shame I can't draw because I've got a few ideas.

Also, it will be interesting to see how CIG would handle an org based team considering the levels of hate that we receive. We would need CIG to really pay attention to the votes to make sure that the voting is fair.

With that in mind, maybe it would be wise to not actually tell anyone that it's a team of TESTies doing the work.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Also, it will be interesting to see how CIG would handle an org based team considering the levels of hate that we receive. We would need CIG to really pay attention to the votes to make sure that the voting is fair.
Only announce that after you win.

Reactions: Reptar Khan

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
Everyone will be doing those art pieces, and honestly I don't want to do that dome style helmet. I have a few ideas that aren't those that I'll draw up tomorrow. If anybody is interested, I'll start up a google drive for a team so we can all post stuff together and such.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
When more details about the Next Great Star Marine are released, I will open up a thread that will allow you people to get a group going.

Meanwhile, here are some thoughts about a potential helmet (which is the entry part of the competition).
- Facial display as suggested by @Chairman Meow
- Back of helmet should have a display indicating name+status of person wearing it.

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
- Back of helmet should have a display indicating name+status of person wearing it.
This! +All my votes

Teams can share invaluable helmet data 'HealthColorIndicator': Green/Yellow/
Red damaged but stable /
X for immobile /
Red Blinking for bleeding out /
Grey Blinking unconscious /
Black Blinking dead
(or something)

While it would preferably be team visual access only, it would also make gameplay interesting if it was an all observable feature.

Notes from TNGS:
-Don't be afraid to break the rules
-Rule of cool over functionality
-Be sure to show off unique features/functionality of Cyrenfine
-Homages / Reference bits worked in from other sifi is applauded

Forgot your password?