Next Great Star Marine

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I just had a thought: what if this competition is announced/released on the anniversary live stream?

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
This! +All my votes

Teams can share invaluable helmet data 'HealthColorIndicator': Green/Yellow/
Red damaged but stable /
X for immobile /
Red Blinking for bleeding out /
Grey Blinking unconscious /
Black Blinking dead
(or something)

While it would preferably be team visual access only, it would also make gameplay interesting if it was an all observable feature.

Notes from TNGS:
-Don't be afraid to break the rules
-Rule of cool over functionality
-Be sure to show off unique features/functionality of Cyrenfine
-Homages / Reference bits worked in from other sifi is applauded
Should have option to go black, and have no lights on for stealth ops. make blue blinking for unconscious. For dead show a picture of a red skull. how do you blink black?

Notes from TNGS:
-Make sure to overly advertise your stuff on RSI forums and make a cult like following.
-choose a manufacturer that everyone loves, doesn't matter if it fits that company scheme.

Reactions: Reptar Khan

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Having visible indicator lights on a helmet is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. Not very stealthy. If they're off for stealth why have them in the first place?
  2. Colors can be washed out/overpowered by other ambient light. If the light on your helmet is red because you're dying and you're in a room with red emergency lighting, or if you're in front of a very bright light source, it will be very difficult to determine your status based on this system. You'll have to use voice chat or some other form of communication that can be jammed/intercepted. Again, why use a visual system like this?
  3. The enemy can see them as well as you can. I don't think I need to explain why this isn't good.
Instead of using visual light, I would go infrared. It's not naturally visible, it is less susceptible to ambient interference, and there is a very large band of IR wavelengths that can be used. We already utilize infrared in certain military applications (IR tracer rounds that are only visible with the right equipment anyone?) and we can already filter different wavelengths of IR.

With the utilization of an IR passing filter that's built right into the helmet glass you don't have to worry about if you're receiving the right information. Let's say you're too close to an EMP and your systems go down, you can still see the messages from your squad without worry because you're not physically blinded.

However!

There are (imo) flaws with this system that greatly reduce its effectiveness. What about the guy on point? What about Bravo team that's in communication with Alpha? How do you solve the issue of requiring Line of Site? For this, we'll have to get creative. (I mean, it is the future after all. It's a shame that CIG hasn't gotten too crazy with the Sci-Fi side of things beyond FTL travel, laser guns, and aliens.)

To go beyond that, what would the system be used for? Simple communication? Health statuses? Ammo levels? If it's going to do a job that is already being done then it needs to improve on that system in some way. Also, you need to question if this is a job for the helmet, the armor, or a gadget. Many things can be integrated into a helmet without feeling like its there for the sake of being there, but you have to ask if a function is something that makes sense on a helmet in the first place. We're making something to sell here, not something that's "cool". Those aren't exclusive by any means, but if you're wearing a helmet it's because there is a chance of danger. At that moment, you want function first, form later.

I'm at work right now so I have to wrap this up, but let's hear some ideas.

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
how about something like the helmets of dead space? something retracktable and made of solid sheets of metal? something with a holo few from the inside? could be a cheap mans space combat helmet. (you know without the expensive hard glas and stuff)

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
I like the IR idea or just use it as a signal tag point for the HUD to display information to.

Yeah everyone will go future glass/metal.
Putting a camera on a sealed up helmet gives it a serious failure point.
The current 'pirate' helmets give the feeling of some external visual mechanism (red globes) with the reliability of it failing-to transparent metal.

Audax Phidippus

Captain
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Audax_Phidippus
I can't help with this - my hard surface skills are crap.(However, if they do one for alien wildlife I'll be in for sure)

But I feel the need to remind you guys: Remember that SC is supposed to be the first game where your view is actually originating at your character's eyes! So holograms on your face-glass, or enclosed with a view-screen, may not work.. unless they fudge it. Which they may do.. or they may dismiss it immediately for that reason. The enclosed system may work, and having to view a screen on your screen(and the resulting loss of peripheral vision) could be a viable balance tool, but it's still something you'd want to keep in mind.

RE: a possible 'stealth' helmet. The first thing that popped into my head was something with funny, radar-confusing, angles - like a nighthawk. Sounds ugly.. but maybe someone can concept out something decent and realistic looking. Just a random thought I had while reading.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Having visible indicator lights on a helmet is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. Not very stealthy. If they're off for stealth why have them in the first place?
  2. Colors can be washed out/overpowered by other ambient light. If the light on your helmet is red because you're dying and you're in a room with red emergency lighting, or if you're in front of a very bright light source, it will be very difficult to determine your status based on this system. You'll have to use voice chat or some other form of communication that can be jammed/intercepted. Again, why use a visual system like this?
  3. The enemy can see them as well as you can. I don't think I need to explain why this isn't good.
Instead of using visual light, I would go infrared. It's not naturally visible, it is less susceptible to ambient interference, and there is a very large band of IR wavelengths that can be used. We already utilize infrared in certain military applications (IR tracer rounds that are only visible with the right equipment anyone?) and we can already filter different wavelengths of IR.

With the utilization of an IR passing filter that's built right into the helmet glass you don't have to worry about if you're receiving the right information. Let's say you're too close to an EMP and your systems go down, you can still see the messages from your squad without worry because you're not physically blinded.

However!

There are (imo) flaws with this system that greatly reduce its effectiveness. What about the guy on point? What about Bravo team that's in communication with Alpha? How do you solve the issue of requiring Line of Site? For this, we'll have to get creative. (I mean, it is the future after all. It's a shame that CIG hasn't gotten too crazy with the Sci-Fi side of things beyond FTL travel, laser guns, and aliens.)

To go beyond that, what would the system be used for? Simple communication? Health statuses? Ammo levels? If it's going to do a job that is already being done then it needs to improve on that system in some way. Also, you need to question if this is a job for the helmet, the armor, or a gadget. Many things can be integrated into a helmet without feeling like its there for the sake of being there, but you have to ask if a function is something that makes sense on a helmet in the first place. We're making something to sell here, not something that's "cool". Those aren't exclusive by any means, but if you're wearing a helmet it's because there is a chance of danger. At that moment, you want function first, form later.

I'm at work right now so I have to wrap this up, but let's hear some ideas.

Embed the signs in a honeycomb mesh. You will never have 2 of the same light, so even small light differencrs can be noticed. Add in the honeycomb and you have a constant reference and easier vieable screen.

A blackout mode can be used for stealth ops. Also if the sign is in the back and the enemy sees it then you are dead because the enemy can see it and is behind you.

Also we are making aomething cool, why? Because thats how the winner of tngs won. Being flashy wooos whooooo Aegiiiiis whoaaaaa, Upvote for Aegis, fuck you if you criticize it doesnt look Aegis whooo flashy!

SlowFuse

Space Marshal
Oct 13, 2015
RSI Handle
SlowFuseGaming
Few thoughts after reading the above replies -

1- External visuals on a helmet in this "age" will be largely useless. A heads up display on the visor showing squad stats would be much better. Squad / unit info along a column left or right of center would work fine. This type of data transmission is secure, and allows for other cool features, like outlining friend vs foe in line-of-sight. Don't have to worry about turning a corner and knowing who the guy staring at you is.

2 - The above indication / data sharing equipment could be in the helmet, but more likely in the suit itself so that if you are in atmosphere or remove your lid, you don't go off grid. A proper connection / tether to the suit would be fundamental for this either way. While data sharing over "network" is fine for inter-squad info, you want a hard wire to your own stuff. Comms should be an on-head device that integrates to the larger helmet shell when donned. (Again so that it works when you are out of your helmet with as little other equipment as necessary.) The heads-up lens could also remain as an accessory that stays with the comms earbud on a headband type thing that all integrates into the lid when you put it back on. This could make for a cool, multi-stage helmet package, and a cool look both on and off.

3 - Helmet should focus on a) protection, b) comm's equipment, c) field of view / sight enhancement, d) illumination / recording device, e) bad-ass aesthetics.

4 - I'm sure I'll think of more. I'll start penciling some stuff out and drop it here as I go.

Forgot your password?