No Man's Sky day 1 Update 1.03

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
"pooping valuable resources"
complete notes here - http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

Beware these notes contain some spoilers. Here are some things our little team has been up to over the last four or five weeks:

• The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.
  • The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
  • Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.
  • Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.
  • Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.
  • Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…
  • Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.
  • Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.
  • Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.
  • Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed
  • Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.
  • Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
  • Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close
  • Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.
  • Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.
  • Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.
  • Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯
  • Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).
  • Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added
  • Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
  • Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans
  • Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)
  • Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

Attachments

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
The PS4 version goes live at roughly 9PM EST this evening for US-based PS4s, according to the stupid countdown website. Does anyone have the console version?

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
I'm getting second thoughts, I already purchased it but have just been reading how hard it will be to meet up with your friends :-/
Oof... that would be a dealbreaker for me too. How so, is it just "everyone starts in a random spot" or is there instancing to deal with?

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Everyone in a random spot. With billions of stars.
EDIT: Is it truly random? I can imagine that giving some people an inadvertent advantage if they randomly spawn (read: savescum) on a planet closer to the Core. Is it just "randomly spawning" in a set area maybe, or just along the Outer Ring?

That would be a dealbreaker for me. It might actually be harder to make it to a friend than to make it to the Core and "beat the game."

Reactions: Blind Owl

Strykker666

Commander
Jul 7, 2016
RSI Handle
Strykker666
EDIT: Is it truly random? I can imagine that giving some people an inadvertent advantage if they randomly spawn (read: savescum) on a planet closer to the Core. Is it just "randomly spawning" in a set area maybe, or just along the Outer Ring?

That would be a dealbreaker for me. It might actually be harder to make it to a friend than to make it to the Core and "beat the game."
It's been said since the beginning that you many never see another person while playing this game. Though there IS a chance. And it theoretically IS possible you can find your friends. Just not an easy task.

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
I'd say the best bet for meeting up with friends is for all of them to head to the core and eventually you will all be together. That being said, it's basically a single player game. The only place I see being populated with players will be the core after a few weeks.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I view it as a single player game too. I know there a chance to meet others, but I'm not in it for that.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
I'm getting second thoughts, I already purchased it but have just been reading how hard it will be to meet up with your friends :-/
I believe that there will be tools to identify discovered systems, which means that friends can work their way towards each other. Perhaps we should think of this as a bonus feature in the game. The sense of achievement when meeting up will be pretty darned good.

I guess that we'll know more come the 12th.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Here is what No Man’s Sky definitely is:

• Exploring a universe of pretty procedurally generated worlds, with beautiful creatures
  • Trading with NPCs
  • Combat against robots/mechs and cool space battles
  • Survival/crafting in a universe sized sandbox
  • An awesome procedural soundtrack from my genuine favourite band (check the NMS album out here)
  • For one small moment, you might feel like you’ve stepped into a sci-fi book cover
That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is.
I guess this is what I missed reading. I was imagining more along the lines of a "Space Engineers but Bigger" than "Skyrim In Space" based on what I was seeing in the trailers. All the things he mentioned as Not-NMS - multiplayer pvp, building supermassive trade vessels, city/civilization building - were things I definitely wanted to see. While I don't mind waiting for the "we might add them later in updates," the might sticks a little too hard.

Guess I'm still waiting for Star Citizen.

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
I feel you on waiting on star citizen! I can't wait till the full game is released! in the mean time I will play every update and No Man's Sky as I am confident it will be a great game. It will not be star citizen, but then it wasn't meant to be!

Forgot your password?