No space priesting allowed D:

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
If you have watched the latest 10 for the chairman episode you will know that one of the questions ask "Will we be allowed to transfer energy to other ships' shield or armor or hull to repair them" and CR said "no".

As a primarily logistics (space priest) pilot in Eve Online and a frequent healer in other MMORPGs this news makes me rather sad. Even though it makes sense to not include logi in a fast paces twitch based 3D space fight I still had a sliver of hope that CIG will somehow make it work. I really wanted to put a giant repair beam on my Aurora or put repair turrets on constellation and such.

I need a shoulder to cry on :(

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Shun (shuuuunnnnn) me if you like, but as someone who never played Eve (yet played a healer class in another MMO), I see nothing wrong with this as it would make zero sense in a true space combat sim.

While my knowledge of SC is barely a week old, what I've read of CR's intent thus far is very much a WWII fighter combat in space type of mechanic, ala Star Wars (the dogfight scenes in SW were heavily based on WWII combat footage). With that background in mind, it would seem a bit 'hokey' (to quote Han Solo) to allow other ships to use a magic sparkle space beam to repair other ships. The proper mechanic, IMHO, would be to land/dock with some sort of support ship and allow repairs that way. Inconvenient in combat, perhaps, but far more fitting with the mainstream (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) pop culture 'space combat' mechanics. Which is itself an interesting question - does a 'space priest' mechanic exist in any sci-fi franchises that feature space combat?

Besides, TEST standard repair procedure for hull breaches in combat is to fill the hole with Auroras. (Ignore the fact that the hole was most likely created by an Aurora in the first place)

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
I need a shoulder to cry on :(
There, there. JC is here. :cool:

Anyways, I think that there will be a non-traditional role for logistics in SC. I think that a majority of the logistics will be in the way of scouting, running jammers, perhaps even lasing targets. I think you'll still have logistical roles, but they just will be a little bit more foreign to us who've played EVE and like remote armor reppin'. I will venture to say that even personnel on the ships themselves will be much more relevant than initially thought of. Especially on larger ships like the Idris or the Javelin, missile tracking disruption and other electronic warfare will most likely be paramount. Hell, there may be even a position for shield management on a ship. Its fun to speculate!

Reactions: starkestrel

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Bunch of carriers all repping each other.
I had to read that a few times. Then I realized that "repping" probably was slang for "repairing".

Probably a good thing that I never played Eve. I would have made oh-so-many rude comments.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
In all seriousness, a repair beam sort of thing just makes no sense to me, but I expect in larger fleets there will be ships in the backgrounds of large battles dedicated to field repairs.

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
Shun (shuuuunnnnn) me if you like, but as someone who never played Eve (yet played a healer class in another MMO), I see nothing wrong with this as it would make zero sense in a true space combat sim.

While my knowledge of SC is barely a week old, what I've read of CR's intent thus far is very much a WWII fighter combat in space type of mechanic, ala Star Wars (the dogfight scenes in SW were heavily based on WWII combat footage). With that background in mind, it would seem a bit 'hokey' (to quote Han Solo) to allow other ships to use a magic sparkle space beam to repair other ships. The proper mechanic, IMHO, would be to land/dock with some sort of support ship and allow repairs that way. Inconvenient in combat, perhaps, but far more fitting with the mainstream (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) pop culture 'space combat' mechanics. Which is itself an interesting question - does a 'space priest' mechanic exist in any sci-fi franchises that feature space combat?

Besides, TEST standard repair procedure for hull breaches in combat is to fill the hole with Auroras. (Ignore the fact that the hole was most likely created by an Aurora in the first place)
I agree wholeheartedly about this but I still had hoped for it as it my favorite thing to do in combat.

Technically, it is possible withing the game world to do this as remote transfer of energy is something that is surprisingly feasible with today's theoretical technologies. Besides, there are heaps of unexplored technologies from other alien races. Who's to say that the Xi'an or the Vanduul haven't created something like this? As far as combat style goes, yes I agree that fitting a "medic" class into that kind of atmosphere is difficult and far fetched but because there is no game to discuss nor any demo to look at, the pacing of the combat is something that we don't know and is crucial to the decision making about and theorizing a "medic" class.

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
In all seriousness, a repair beam sort of thing just makes no sense to me, but I expect in larger fleets there will be ships in the backgrounds of large battles dedicated to field repairs.
I agree that a repair beam makes no sense in this world as SC has no "nanite" or "nanobot" sci-fi tech but I could see a shield beam fitting into the world.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I agree that a repair beam makes no sense in this world as SC has no "nanite" or "nanobot" sci-fi tech but I could see a shield beam fitting into the world.
I do have an idea though. If I remember correctly, drones have been confirmed. Perhaps there will be drones purposed to repair ships, possibly to regain functionality of a turret or patch minor hull breaches.

Reactions: TestBot

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
I do have an idea though. If I remember correctly, drones have been confirmed. Perhaps there will be drones purposed to repair ships, possibly to regain functionality of a turret or patch minor hull breaches.
That could totally be a thing. Awesome idea. What if there were specific "drone boats" with very minor weaponry like maybe just one turret and their entire purpose was to handle a flight of drones to repair other ships or such.

Windsor

Lieutenant
Feb 16, 2014
RSI Handle
thomaswindsor
Another direction you might be able to go is EVA activities. Say a freelancer is crewed by a few brave souls willing to EVA mid combat and repair the ships? I know he has confirmed EVA repping is a thing and one would think you could do it in combat.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz

I agree.

Reparing makes more sense in the SC-Universe like triple-A or actually flying over to the damaged ship and repair it:

Reactions: BluChew and TestBot

Milkman

Rear Admiral
Nov 5, 2013
RSI Handle
Chocolate
You can always park your ship in the path of incoming missiles and bullets. Seems like a good compromise to me.

BluChew

Captain
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
OGKush
Another direction you might be able to go is EVA activities. Say a freelancer is crewed by a few brave souls willing to EVA mid combat and repair the ships? I know he has confirmed EVA repping is a thing and one would think you could do it in combat.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe you could play the role of a engineer on a multi-passenger ship, similar to Battlefield 2412. Running around in the ship, fixing things, making modifications and such.

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
I'll advise waiting until more gameplay elements have been clarified before losing hope. As Joe, Skippy, and others have noted, there are many possibilities for logistics play. The key element to pay attention to is that CR said no to using a ship to repair another ship with energy transfer. I haven't yet watched the episode in question, but he's not necessarily saying that there won't be enjoyable support, or even ship repair. It's sounds like he's nixing magical laser beams.

IMO, I'd much rather play the type of logistics support that Joe is talking about, and I'm an avid control/support player in MMOs.

Reactions: TestBot
Forgot your password?