O hai.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Where you from stranger?
Great Lakes region. (That's central YOO-ESS-AYY to anyone outside of this particular hemisphere)

What drew you to Star Citizen?
Honestly, I just heard about it a few days ago. I'm averse to most MMO type games, but I've been hoping for a massive online space sim for ages, and this one might do it for me. (Tried EVE many years ago - 5 minutes later I uninstalled it when I saw there was no 'sim' element and it was all icon clicking).

What do you look forward to most in Star Citizen? (PVP, Exploration, etc)
I remember seeing Return of the Jedi for the first time when I was 8. Experiencing that (the Battle of Endor, or something like it) first hand, inside my own ship, chaos and laser fire and explosions all around, radio chatter equally full of cheers and panic... ...yeah, that's what my inner 8-year old really wants to see. But I'll probably spend 95% of my time doing other stuff - drinking, exploring, trading, mining, drinking, testing the game's profanity filters...

What was the first game you remember playing?
Space Invaders on a kiosk at Sears - must have been a promo tool for the Atari 2600.

What other games do you play?
The more recent years of gaming saw a lot of Lord of the Rings Online (only MMO I've really played, but I pretty much only played solo), even more Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and I've most recently been heavily addicted to Borderlands 1 & 2. My gaming generally skews to the FPS genre, given that DOOM was my first real game addiction.

Picard or Kirk?
Ackbar. But if you insist on ST, I have to go with Picard.

PS - I'm pretty socially avoidant (hence my general aversion to MMOs). But you guys seem like you put a lot of stock in 'silly', which I can totally get behind. All of the 'promotional material' I've seen has been funny, self-deprecating, and inviting to people like myself who really don't want to join a group, but feel like they might be missing out of something in a game if they don't. So thanks.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Welcome! I feel like you'll fit right in with all the awkwardness and ... of course drunkenness...

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
welcome :D

to join our future meetings a beer in your hand is obligatory.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
You just heard about SC a few days ago?

Welcome!

How did you find us?

Space invaders kiosk? Ah, welcome fellow mature gamer!

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Yep, only heard about SC a few days ago (I really don't pay close attention to new games, and generally only find out about them after they've peaked). I had been wondering whatever became of Jumpgate: Evolution, as that had sounded like a promising large space sim, and did a little googling for anything else in that genre. I came across SC, which seemed to fit the bill. In browsing around the SC forums, somehow I happened across TEST (quite possibly via the TEST-Cover.jpg intro). It made me laugh, so I thought I'd investigate further. I liked that the group wasn't overwhelmingly large, wasn't terribly serious, and appeared to be focused on a specific game. Seemed like just the sort of small scale tomfoolery I was looking for.

Indeed Montoya, was a Space Invaders kiosk (probably an Atari 2600 based kiosk) that was the first video game I played - I barely remember it, being only 4 or so at the time, but it whet my appetite and propelled me into the glorious C64 era. Oh, the piles of 5.25" floppies I had...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Don't you miss the sound of those floppies loading?

It was always such a relief when the loaded up with no errors!

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Floppies never gave me much headache, but yeah, I do miss the sound! As far as errors went, nothing beat cassette tape for aggravation - the 1541 was a godsend by comparison!

LOAD "*",8,1

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
Syntax error.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
As a side note, raise your hand if you ever used a hole punch to make your single sided floppies 'double sided'. Mom swore that I was hurting the floppy drive by doing that...

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Okay, I actually _bought_ the stupid game just now. I am so drunk. Diet Dr, Thunder plus Sailor Jerry is my drizzink ta this moment.

I hope that makes me eligible of TEST. Because if it doesn't the n I'll need to do..... stuff.

Oh, my head. I need mor boozer.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
cheers.

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Welcome to TEST! We've always needed a designated drunk among us. We usually took turns, but not anymore!

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Welcome to the Squad! Have you done all the necessary voodoo rituals to make you invincible in combat?

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Welcome to the Squad! Have you done all the necessary voodoo rituals to make you invincible in combat?
I believe so, but I do have a question - am I supposed to drink the 2 pints of spiced oatmeal stout before or after the the albino weasels have swum in it? I mean, I did it both ways, so I'm guessing I should be okay.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Kids these days will never know the joy of having
I believe so, but I do have a question - am I supposed to drink the 2 pints of spiced oatmeal stout before or after the the albino weasels have swum in it? I mean, I did it both ways, so I'm guessing I should be okay.
You sound like you brew your own.

Anything interesting on tap at the moment?

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
I don't brew my own, sadly - would love to, but there's too many other hobbies vying for my time.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
The noise of the cassette loading haunted my childhood.

Ohhhhhhh, you just catapulted me right back into the early 80s. It was a ZX Spectrum (even older than the Plus pictured) that caught my fancy at Sears (I think I liked it for easily being able to create colored characters or something). Fortunately mom & dad did their homework on what computer to buy and we wound up with a C64 that served us well for pretty much a decade. We had a cassette tape at first as well, but it was pretty much only good for saving stuff you typed in from the pages of Compute! magazine.

Man, it truly was the Golden Age.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Ah yes, my friend had that one, grey rubber keys if I remember rightly. Ikari warriors, bubble bobble multiplayer and wasting hours trying to run cheats manually typed in basic. Never worked. My favourite bit was guessing whether the game would load at all or just continue trying to give me an epileptic fit whist screaming in binary pain!
I don't know why but I got an amiga 500 /w 512k upgrade. James pond, good times...

Forgot your password?