Oh sweet May!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Kinda didn't read the whole thing in depth, as I'm walking into work,and there's no cell service in my building (Go army).

But I'm curious: I bought a MSI GT 80 about a year ago. The biggest selling feature to me, aside from the 980m SLI, was the fact that it's upgradable. You can plug and play new GPUs, etc. Now that WAS unheard of for the most part up until last year.

So back to my curiosity: I wonder, will these new GPUs be so different that they're unusable in my GT 80?

XehnRage

Vice Admiral
Mar 3, 2016
RSI Handle
XehnRage
Kinda didn't read the whole thing in depth, as I'm walking into work,and there's no cell service in my building (Go army).

But I'm curious: I bought a MSI GT 80 about a year ago. The biggest selling feature to me, aside from the 980m SLI, was the fact that it's upgradable. You can plug and play new GPUs, etc. Now that WAS unheard of for the most part up until last year.

So back to my curiosity: I wonder, will these new GPUs be so different that they're unusable in my GT 80?
More than likely there will be an upgrade option but I would say wait till MSI announces it. Might have to have them do it to retain any warranty you might have. I don't know honestly. I don't do Laptops.

XehnRage

Vice Admiral
Mar 3, 2016
RSI Handle
XehnRage
Interesting.
I did not see any mention of a price.
Price was mentioned in another article. But the prices were not linked to any models. 1100, 900, 700, 600. But more than likely it will be about 100 less for each one. That's what happened with Maxwell.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I've been kinda kicking myself since I got the 980ti and it'd be too soon to upgrade, but dat Volta roadmap!

I'm excited to get that one with the increase its showing in 2018.

NVIDIA-Pascal-SGEMM-Per-Watt.jgp_.png

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
More than likely there will be an upgrade option but I would say wait till MSI announces it. Might have to have them do it to retain any warranty you might have. I don't know honestly. I don't do Laptops.
True fact. I'll have to look into that.

XehnRage

Vice Admiral
Mar 3, 2016
RSI Handle
XehnRage
And if you're like me and don't prioritize having the bleeding edge of GPUs, this means the 980's will finally be dropping in price!
Correct. That is a 100% accurate statement. Being on the edge of 4K+ gaming becoming a bigger thing though, things can make a very sharp turn. IF, if being the main word here, if Pascal meets the roadmap in performance and with it now being a much lower power consumption, it could be a really good improvement all together. It was finally shown that the new 1080 is going to have a single 8pin power connector on the PCB. Maxwell had a single 8pin and a 6pin. And that 1080 is releasing come the end of May. Plus it's the newer GDDR5X VRAM, which has been showing an on average of 28-42% increase of performance with the Pascal chipset over what GDDR5 showed. That's the increase in performance depending on the type of program you are currently running. Games alone were showing 40-42%. Meaning smoother frames at lower power consumption. Now not everyone looks at power and makes that their main reasoning for buying a GPU. I mean hell, my last client wanted me to build him a X99 system with a 5960X and 4 Titan X cards and everything under water. But for someone like me that wants a good card at a good power consumption level, means less heat for me in my place. But as I always say, just my opinion.

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
And if you're like me and don't prioritize having the bleeding edge of GPUs, this means the 980's will finally be dropping in price!
Just in time to buy myself a birthday present!

Forgot your password?