Ok, I guess I'll be the one to say it...knowing I'm doomed to failure

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
LTI and normal monthly insurance are not in question. I am questioning what happens to someone who has not kept their insurance up to date, and they lose their ship. You said

to which I am asking, what about the insurance arrears... the insurance they did not pay?
Ok, good question. So if your ship blows up, while your insurance is expired, you simply cannot reclaim your ship. It is not lost forever. Now if this is a ship you paid cash for, you can simply resubscribe to your insurance (renew it) and then reclaim the ship. I do not believe CIG has gone into detail about this same scenario regarding ships purchased within the game yet. I hope this answered your question as it is the most current info I have knowledge on regarding this topic. Tony Z is the last dev I think to touch on this in one of the Citcon (or big dev shows) last year.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ok, good question. So if your ship blows up, while your insurance is expired, you simply cannot reclaim your ship. It is not lost forever. Now if this is a ship you paid cash for, you can simply resubscribe to your insurance (renew it) and then reclaim the ship. I do not believe CIG has gone into detail about this same scenario regarding ships purchased within the game yet. I hope this answered your question as it is the most current info I have knowledge on regarding this topic. Tony Z is the last dev I think to touch on this in one of the Citcon (or big dev shows) last year.
It's good info I think @Printimus, at least as good as any we might be able to get right now. Thank you for sticking with me on it.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
About 11 years ago I payed 300 dollars for a lifetime membership for LoTRO before the release because I like the IP, had played in the beta and was willing to take a chance that it would last and it payed off, the game is still going with new content still being released. I'm hoping that SC has the same success.

What I was going off of was the Insurance entry in the RSI knowledge base, which looks like it was updated last on August 28. If CR or someone official has said something different elsewhere more recently let me know. The parts that I was referring to say

"The way to ensure that your property will not be lost forever when these events happen is through insurance policies for your ships.
WHAT IS INSURANCE?
Pilots in Star Citizen will be able purchase insurance policies in-game for their fleet. This ensures that your ship will be replaced should it be destroyed or stolen."

They say that insurance is there so your ship isn't "lost forever" and "ensures that your ship will be replaced should it be destroyed or stolen". Their wording gives me the impression that it is possible to lose your ship completely in the game. They don't mention anywhere that there is an exception for ships payed for with cash or being able to pay for the insurance afterwards and get your ship back if it lapses.

As for LTI itself it says

"WHAT IS LIFETIME INSURANCE (LTI) AND HOW DO I GET IT?
Lifetime Insurance, or LTI as it is commonly referred to, is a basic insurance policy that will cost the insured player no extra UEC payments to maintain their coverage...

Players will still need to cover the cost of insurance claims and repairs, regardless of if their ship is covered by LTI or some other standard, finite-length plan."

So LTI isn't going to mean you don't still pay something at the time of replacement, but the option to replace it is always there. At least that's how I'm reading it.
Here is a good find.

Spectrum Devs

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Sort of true they have gone back and forth on if you can just renew your insurance and reclaim your ship or if you will have to pay a percentage of the ship purchase cost to recover the lost non insured ship. My personal feeling is that it's going to be the later as there needs to be a cost risk balance with not covering your ship with insurance. The other thing that has not been made clear is if ships claimed by insurance will come with a full take of fuel and all their weapons fully stocked. The final thing that has not been made clear is if there will be a ship deductible on insurance claims or only a cost for expedited delivery like it currently is.

Here is a good find.

Spectrum Devs
Nice was looking for it. Also, I believe they said that ingame purchases can be lost forever if not insured at the time of destruction.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Sort of true they have gone back and forth on if you can just renew your insurance and reclaim your ship or if you will have to pay a percentage of the ship purchase cost to recover the lost non insured ship. My personal feeling is that it's going to be the later as there needs to be a cost risk balance with not covering your ship with insurance. The other thing that has not been made clear is if ships claimed by insurance will come with a full take of fuel and all their weapons fully stocked. The final thing that has not been made clear is if there will be a ship deductible on insurance claims or only a cost for expedited delivery like it currently is.

Nice was looking for it. Also, I believe they said that ingame purchases can be lost forever if not insured at the time of destruction.
I think further clarification from the devs would be great to have. There is a lot of speculation like you mentioned above. Hard to say which way CIG will sway until then.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Here is a good find.

Spectrum Devs
Thanks for that, that is good news if it's still true. The thing is, that post is almost two years old. The information I was looking at where they use the words lost forever was updated less than two weeks ago. They change their minds about things. I mean, when I first put in money for the game back in 2013 they had also stated that there would be a player interaction slider to limit PvP encounters but that seems to no longer be happening. Have they said anything like what was in that post lately?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Thanks for that, that is good news if it's still true. The thing is, that post is almost two years old. The information I was looking at where they use the words lost forever was updated less than two weeks ago. They change their minds about things. I mean, when I first put in money for the game back in 2013 they had also stated that there would be a player interaction slider to limit PvP encounters but that seems to no longer be happening. Have they said anything like what was in that post lately?
The latest "insurance" talk we have gotten was regarding the timers when you reclaim a ship. Other than that, pretty quiet. One lesson we can ALL take away from this is that shit changes as development continues and if we want to support the game in its development, the best way we can do that is buy backing this project. As far as what all gets changed and how they change it is a bit out of our hands.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The latest "insurance" talk we have gotten was regarding the timers when you reclaim a ship. Other than that, pretty quiet. One lesson we can ALL take away from this is that shit changes as development continues and if we want to support the game in its development, the best way we can do that is buy backing this project. As far as what all gets changed and how they change it is a bit out of our hands.
That and rage on the Spectrum forums.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Does anybody have a link to where CIG says you'll never loose a ship that you paid cash for? I'd like to see that, it would make a good topic for a follow up video to my 890 jump sale w/o LTI video that I posted.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Does anybody have a link to where CIG says you'll never loose a ship that you paid cash for? I'd like to see that, it would make a good topic for a follow up video to my 890 jump sale w/o LTI video that I posted.
so, you keep the title to the ship as it sits impounded somewhere, unusable because you can't afford to repair it?

what an excellent game mechanic

edit: and what would that do to salvaging as a profession?

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I had posted the question on Spectrum and it was pointed out that, as @Bambooza's link suggests, the quote that ships you own won't permanently be destroyed has been pulled back and is no longer official. So the implication is that they are currently leaning towards permaloss being a thing, with no mention of exceptions for cash purchases, but again this can change.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
So I had posted the question on Spectrum and it was pointed out that, as @Bambooza's link suggests, the quote that ships you own won't permanently be destroyed has been pulled back and is no longer official. So the implication is that they are currently leaning towards permaloss being a thing, with no mention of exceptions for cash purchases, but again this can change.
Some clarity is needed. Your ship will not be removed from your inventory. It'll just show up as "Destroyed" until you get it repaired. My read is, we will be able to earn this ingame by running a few missions for another player or an NPC will provide the missions. The game mechanic has not been worked out yet.
See this. It's the correction that was posted in Spectrum, and was also at the bottom of the message @Bambooza posted.

I don't mind this at all, but it takes a few minutes to realize what they're saying. Remember that CIG has been very careful to prevent a direct line being drawn between the value of the UEC, and the value of the US dollar by preventing us from removing UEC from the game. They do not prevent people from buying UEC, but that's CIG's tax liability not ours.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Some clarity is needed. Your ship will not be removed from your inventory. It'll just show up as "Destroyed" until you get it repaired. My read is, we will be able to earn this ingame by running a few missions for another player or an NPC will provide the missions. The game mechanic has not been worked out yet.
See this. It's the correction that was posted in Spectrum, and was also at the bottom of the message @Bambooza posted.

I don't mind this at all, but it takes a few minutes to realize what they're saying. Remember that CIG has been very careful to prevent a direct line being drawn between the value of the UEC, and the value of the US dollar by preventing us from removing UEC from the game. They do not prevent people from buying UEC, but that's CIG's tax liability not ours.

That's the issue, I honestly don't think they have figured out how harsh they want the game mechanic to be. They know they need money sinks or the economy will destroy this game quickly, and one of the greatest money sinks is insurance. But how do you cause your players to buy insurance when they can go without and still not really lose their ship, coupled with the entitlement of players who feel they purchased a ship with real money instead of donating to the game creation and getting a limited ship as a perk with terms and limitations. It will be interesting to see what direction they take non insured ship destruction as well as if accounts can have more then one char. Both of these have huge impacts on the fundamental gameplay and direction the game goes in far beyond the game mechanics currently implemented and planned.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here is a good find.

Spectrum Devs
I think there are potentially 2 penalties for not having insurance --> the extra "premium" penalty, and the (not mentioned, but hypothesized by me) "Time" penalty.

We already know that some ships will take longer to replace than others (i.e., an Aurora is plentiful in the universe, so should get replaced very quickly, vs. a Hammerhead or 890J, which will be rarer in the universe, and could potentially take longer -- much longer -- to replace).

Will people with LTI go to the head of the line? Who knows...but, it does seem clear that CR wants to have a cost to things (in terms of risk/reward) and he doesn't want people abusing the system by doing stupid things (repeatedly).

Forgot your password?