Ok, I guess I'll be the one to say it...knowing I'm doomed to failure

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think there are potentially 2 penalties for not having insurance --> the extra "premium" penalty, and the (not mentioned, but hypothesized by me) "Time" penalty.

We already know that some ships will take longer to replace than others (i.e., an Aurora is plentiful in the universe, so should get replaced very quickly, vs. a Hammerhead or 890J, which will be rarer in the universe, and could potentially take longer -- much longer -- to replace).

Will people with LTI go to the head of the line? Who knows...but, it does seem clear that CR wants to have a cost to things (in terms of risk/reward) and he doesn't want people abusing the system by doing stupid things (repeatedly).
I have LTI on 75% of my ships, almost exactly. I sincerely hope that LTI does not get preferential treatment in insurance claims, that would go a little too far. All it's supposed to be about is the insurance premium is paid, but not the deductible. I don't want a large class of privileged users in SC, because that would mean that there is a limited pool of new players, and that is a death sentence for the game. This perk needs to be very small and have no noticeable impact on other players.
My opinion is, LTI was a horrible mistake that should have been given out only to the very first backers if anyone. It unfortunately continued... and I shake my head every time I think about it.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
All of my ships to date have been LTI , I have considered but been hesitant to buy a non LTI ship due to being unclear on if it can be lost. I don't expect LTI to mean that I go to the front of the line for repairs, or that replacing a lost ship will be free. I don't expect it to cover anything except the hull, I don't expect to get a full tank of fuel and missles/ammo when I get it back. I see the coverage for the standard equipment that comes with the ship as a bonus. All I really expect with LTI is that (hoping the game successfully makes it to release) that I still don't lose my pledge items just because I can't spend more than, at most, two hours a week in the game.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I think there are potentially 2 penalties for not having insurance --> the extra "premium" penalty, and the (not mentioned, but hypothesized by me) "Time" penalty.

We already know that some ships will take longer to replace than others (i.e., an Aurora is plentiful in the universe, so should get replaced very quickly, vs. a Hammerhead or 890J, which will be rarer in the universe, and could potentially take longer -- much longer -- to replace).

Will people with LTI go to the head of the line? Who knows...but, it does seem clear that CR wants to have a cost to things (in terms of risk/reward) and he doesn't want people abusing the system by doing stupid things (repeatedly).
What "line" are you referring to?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I don't want a large class of privileged users in SC,
Wait, what? I almost dropped my Grey Poupon on the deck of my 890J as I read that!

As you know, they originally planned to end LTI in late 2013...I guess us weirdoes buying JPG spaceships clamored for it to continue, and now we are in a giant mess. I guess my point was, they need to find ways to distinguish LTI from non-insured people, or else the whole idea is a farce. I don't see that there should be any difference between LTI and regular insurance, as long as you keep paying for it. I mean, if you don't pay the insurance and you lose something, there should be a penalty, and it should scale with the value of the ship/item.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Wait, what? I almost dropped my Grey Poupon on the deck of my 890J as I read that!

As you know, they originally planned to end LTI in late 2013...I guess us weirdoes buying JPG spaceships clamored for it to continue, and now we are in a giant mess. I guess my point was, they need to find ways to distinguish LTI from non-insured people, or else the whole idea is a farce. I don't see that there should be any difference between LTI and regular insurance, as long as you keep paying for it. I mean, if you don't pay the insurance and you lose something, there should be a penalty, and it should scale with the value of the ship/item.
Hey... we can grow Dijon mustard in an 890J.... it has a water supply, and a large area for grow pods... With my experience with Aquaponics... and IDK, we'll have to find some fish or maybe we can just piss and shit in the pool... we could make a killing. V&R Grey Poupon and Sulpha Mustard Manufacturing Inc. Mustard Gas for An Unsuspecting Universe.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Hey... we can grow Dijon mustard in an 890J.... it has a water supply, and a large area for grow pods... With my experience with Aquaponics... and IDK, we'll have to find some fish or maybe we can just piss and shit in the pool... we could make a killing. V&R Grey Poupon and Sulpha Mustard Manufacturing Inc. Mustard Gas for An Unsuspecting Universe. We'll make a killing...
I'm pretty sure when I get my endeavor master set it's supposed to come with a molecular gastronomy module

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Shot with coffee beans, blowing up a chemistry lab. I take it we need to buy you more rounds of beer for these tales are entertaining.
I come from a very large extended family, and spent a lot of time during summer vacations on a huge farm. We frequently didn't have quite enough adults around to do all the parenting. I have several scars to show for the lessons learned. We also had to learn how to tell the story about what happened so that you A) didn't get in too much trouble, and B) actually held the adults attention long enough to tell them where your cousin was.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I come from a very large extended family, and spent a lot of time during summer vacations on a huge farm. We frequently didn't have quite enough adults around to do all the parenting. I have several scars to show for the lessons learned. We also had to learn how to tell the story about what happened so that you A) didn't get in too much trouble, and B) actually held the adults attention long enough to tell them where your cousin was.
it's a fine line to walk between letting the adults know what's going down, and surviving the cousins when the adults aren't around

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yeah but that's not an indicator of anything other than the internet is alive and well.
In my opinion, the moment that there is nobody griping on some forum somewhere, is the moment when the net went down globally.

Aurora replacement time frame = paint lard along the bottom of a narrow medium sized board & hand it to them.
890J replacement time frame = grow a forest of rare trees to harvest, mine a quarry & then construct the ship by hand in the style of the pyramids of Egypt.

Forgot your password?