Okay so three of these, and three cards to drive them is. . .

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
On the AR page if you scroll down to where it says Eyeglasses, you'll find the part of the technology that I am most interested in.
Yeah. Seems to me the best of all approaches is big screens and a head-mounted display that layers one image atop the other. So some info moves with your eyes when yiou turn your head and the background does not. Seems this woulds be the most convincing in tricking the brain over time.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
How bad is gaming on these screens?

I know some TVs have great latency, but its hidden in the feature list and often hard to find.
This is a complex topic ... Latency is certainly an issue, and for gaming a big issue - but latency of less than 100ms is not normally detectable, because the human brain processes data much slower than the speed of light and stuff. In a real time application like a game, we might have 100ms latency simply in the network alone so what most solutions use is a predictive model, and correct the displayed model when data is received that contradicts the current display. When it gets bad you've heard the expression "rubber banding." That's part of the correction. It can really ruin game immersion, but it's not necessarily because of the device the video is being displayed on.

For video display @Shadow Reaper is right. A video latency of less than 68ms is considered "good". That's around between 3 and 4 frames lag at 60 Frames/second. Manufacturers that specify this don't often specify the load either, and the effect can make a huge difference.

For reference... Wired not wireless...
The Oculus Rift for example, has video latency around 30ms, the HTC Vive is around 42... I'm not sure about that... it's still within the range. .
(That almost matches the 49" Samsung C49HG90’s 29ms.)

BUT there is a huge problem with latency in VR. Since it's the only thing you can see... latency numbers that exceed the 68ms wall can make the user experience headaches, feel dizzy, and nasty stuff like that. Even the Oculus and Vive can cause this.

My best advice is to stick with a monitor for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: marcsand2

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Id wait for gsync to come out for tvs i heard its in the works
I don't think adaptive sync is going to be a thing for TV's until Display Port is a thing. HDMI 2.0 only does 60 fps refresh rates at 4k so if you want something higher than that like most people go for with gaming, then you have to use Display Port to get there. If you drop down to like 1920p then you can use HDMI to get up to 120 I think, but it's still got to be HDMI 2.0.

This is a pretty good write up on the subject, and I hope I've paraphrased it correctly.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404476/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

Reactions: Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I don't think adaptive sync is going to be a thing for TV's until Display Port is a thing. HDMI 2.0 only does 60 fps refresh rates at 4k so if you want something higher than that like most people go for with gaming, then you have to use Display Port to get there. If you drop down to like 1920p then you can use HDMI to get up to 120 I think, but it's still got to be HDMI 2.0.

This is a pretty good write up on the subject, and I hope I've paraphrased it correctly.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404476/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/7/16862054/nvidia-4k-hdr-gaming-monitors-bfgds-g-sync-ces-2018

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
is it true 120hz or one of those 60 they say is 120?
It's true as this is not considered a "TV" its a large sized computer monitor. There is a TV though that was also annonced which linustechtips talked about called the ULED TV which is also supposed to be 120hz. They use display port 1.4 which allows for 4k at 120hz or 8k at 60hz.(8k might not be compatible with this particular monitor)

Here is the 120hz TV which is currently about to go out(will be 120hz 4k once HDMI 2.1 comes out not sure exactly how that works).

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's true as this is not considered a "TV" its a large sized computer monitor. There is a TV though that was also annonced which linustechtips talked about called the ULED TV which is also supposed to be 120hz. They use display port 1.4 which allows for 4k at 120hz or 8k at 60hz.(8k might not be compatible with this particular monitor)

Here is the 120hz TV which is currently about to go out(will be 120hz 4k once HDMI 2.1 comes out not sure exactly how that works).
@Sirus7264 is right, it's true. I can also confirm there is a very large amount of misinformation that has been published by some companies over the past 4 or 5 years, just adding to everyone's confusion. What is hitting trade shows right now is real, but prototypes... not products.

Totally speculative:: Look for this technology to happen in laptops first - because they are the most product ready at the moment... they have a very short connection between generation of the video signal, and the monitor - followed by PC's and monitors, then television itself shortly after PC's.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
@Sirus7264 is right, it's true. I can also confirm there is a very large amount of misinformation that has been published by some companies over the past 4 or 5 years, just adding to everyone's confusion. What is hitting trade shows right now is real, but prototypes... not products.

Totally speculative:: Look for this technology to happen in laptops first - because they are the most product ready at the moment... they have a very short connection between generation of the video signal, and the monitor - followed by PC's and monitors, then television itself shortly after PC's.
actually Nvidea is preordering them right now(HP OMEN X 65 BFGD $4999) comes with a soundbar now but they wont be sent out until february the competitors will be out later this year i beleive. Hisense is also selling theirs(3500 usd) in June.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
actually Nvidea is preordering them right now(HP OMEN X 65 BFGD $4999) comes with a soundbar now but they wont be sent out until february the competitors will be out later this year i beleive. Hisense is also selling theirs(3500 usd) in June.
That's too cool but the price is lower than the ballpark I expected for this by a wide margin.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Forgot your password?