opinions on 2.6.1

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I was wondering what everyone thought of 2.6.1 as compared to 2.6 and 2.5.

Honestly, I thought 2.6 lost a bit of the fun factor with dogfights, but I am ok with that. I don't really like the beefed up opponents (yes, I realize they are supposed to represent full strength ships). I think though that 2.6 was ok overall, but it may have lost a few steps. That said, the platform seems more and more stable overall.

2.6.1 I think has a better balance for flight speeds (seems like there was a bit of a bump), and Star Marine is more playable, but I think they tuned up the ship fights a bit more as well, meaning even ICC Probe 1 is much tough (unless you avoid the fights, which might be the point)

I think it's a solid push. A lot more playable, not quite as much fun. Get the fun back and it's much more solid.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Progress, slow but steady progess.
As they add more and more to the game, things are gonna break (code wise) and itll be an ongoing thing. But overall, positive progress forward is being made.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
have opinions already been implemented in 2.6.1?

I thought the consensus was to implement manned turrets ahead of opinions

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
A small step, like @Printimus wrote. What annoys me is the fact that test patch 2.6.1b was a more stable and better version than the released one. I can't stand this because I can't understand it. Now impatiently waiting for 2.6.2.
Actually, I would prefer they devote the resources to 3.0 vs 2.6.2...

Unless there is a absolute need to balance the ship combat now (and there isn't, because it will all need to be re-balanced later with the large industrials/capital ships) this is not something that is critical.

Put those resources into 3.0, 3.1, and beyond. It's alpha, no need to get it perfect, because what is perfect today, won't be tomorrow anyway when they add in the latest features/content. Lots of stuff to work on...resource gathering, repair/salvage, science, upgrades, etc.

That said, if there is something that is absolutely needed to get rock solid prior to 3.0...then it's time well spent.

Yeah, maybe fix a few of the nagging issues (like not being able to access some screens, the elevators, not recognizing key presses like the "heal button", etc) but that's likely to be my comp just as easily as it is the game...that said, those can be rolled up into 3.0 as well.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Actually, I would prefer they devote the resources to 3.0 vs 2.6.2...

Unless there is a absolute need to balance the ship combat now (and there isn't, because it will all need to be re-balanced later with the large industrials/capital ships) this is not something that is critical.

Put those resources into 3.0, 3.1, and beyond. It's alpha, no need to get it perfect, because what is perfect today, won't be tomorrow anyway when they add in the latest features/content. Lots of stuff to work on...resource gathering, repair/salvage, science, upgrades, etc.

That said, if there is something that is absolutely needed to get rock solid prior to 3.0...then it's time well spent.

Yeah, maybe fix a few of the nagging issues (like not being able to access some screens, the elevators, not recognizing key presses like the "heal button", etc) but that's likely to be my comp just as easily as it is the game...that said, those can be rolled up into 3.0 as well.
I agree. But keep in mind, however, that not every department really has a hand in "speeding up" the release of 3.0. The delay is likely due to a few large technical blockers. The people who would be working on rebalancing flight speed and combat aren't wasting any time or taking anything away from 3.0 development. ITs not like the ship art guys can be dumped into the network guys' office to help speed things up, because that is not their area of expertise. The only way for them to realistically accelerate development would be to hire additional experts in the areas in which they are struggling. That would just lead to more money-grabbing concept sales and other divisive tactics to fund such an addition. All we can do is wait patiently and take the delay as an opportunity for the other teams to continue their progress while the technical hurdles that prevent getting 3.0 into our hands are slowly overcome. Patience isn't easy, believe me I know, but its all we can really do at this point. So lets not poo-poo CIG's progress on everything that's NOT 3.0. Progress is progress.

/$0.02

Forgot your password?