Order 66 on content creators

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well as I read it they don't tell you how to do or make the fan made art, but how to label it with use of the fan kit to protect it, you and them.
That they determine the how to be used is fair in my book it is their creation, what ever I create I'm still using their creation to create something.
So bottom line is what ever I create using their creation is never really my creation just their creation made in a different angle, position, resolution, colored, B/W.... etc.. etc..

If I made something from scratch and then other use it to make something else to show of as fan of my work.
That would be awesome and I would love it as they do, but I would hold hard to the ©copyright and how I would allow it to be used and that is what they are doing.
Then if they want to use that as I would to promote my creation, think about it wouldn't you do the same.
I know I would fore sure do that so I for one see no problem with that what so ever.

One Example: I create a 3D printed replica of the Ursa rover and rebuild my RC of road car to a Ursa and use it to have fun with record it and put up videos on youtube..
people love it and they want the 3D print to make their own to play with sure I could give it to them and it's all for free fan made fair use right...
Well no it is not fair use like that for you private use sure it's fair but it is still a possible product copyright theft.

That is a possible merchandise market for them to make toys and sell so a fan made for free spread over internet would put a dent in that sale.

You all see where I'm going with this!
In short put yourself in their shoes and pretend this is your creation that others make new "fan made" creation with and share and show of.
What could/can you made/make money of you creation and how much do you lose from free "fan made" stuff made by others.

Bottom line fan made art is very much mostly made to show of how good the fan is using your creation and making something better than you did or a alternative of it that wasn't avail.

The small percentage "fan art" made by fan for the benefit of the original product with no regards for a reward or recognition for it, is very rare. (anyone saying else is lying)

Just my one cent"... CHEERS!

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
What if you don’t download the fan kit, can you still develop content, etc?
I dunno, but I didn't download it because I didn't agree to the terms, besides from what I hear, there's nothing worth while in the kit that we didn't already have access to.
Now if it was the high resolution models of the ingame armor... I would RUSH to accept the those terms because of the massive amount of time it would save me for my cosplay...
like many many MONTHS of time. Seriously... lol
I created this thread a long while ago asking and willing to sign a contract for access to them on a limited basis for limited use.
It's the 2nd most upvoted thread in the modding subforum on spectrum
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/petition-for-access-to-high-poly-models-under-nda-

But since the kit is just posturing, the kit doesn't affect me as I don't need it and didn't agree to the terms. And I will posture toward that "kit" with moderate disdain. 💪 fight the power

The small percentage "fan art" made by fan for the benefit of the original product with no regards for a reward or recognition for it, is very rare. (anyone saying else is lying)
My friend then you will have to call me a liar because I know a quite a few who make art which I've found online that didn't hardly even share it.. just posted it on an ignored Twitter account or some social media somewhere which has 0 likes or shares. I go hunting for content like that to share. For example this person
IIRC only couple views, no likes. I was the 1st like and asked for verification if the person built it.
The person did it because the person likes Star Citizen.. it's obvious hardly anyone knew about the channel.
So I shared it on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6pey9u View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6pey9u/this_person_did_an_amazing_gladius_replica_in/

and BAM! Thousands of views, and for a couple to a few more videos afterwards and more subscribers...
.... man.. I wished that happened for my stuff.. I get views but no new subscribers lol

I digress.. my point.. is there's TONs of people out there, that make Star Citizen related content, that hardly no one will see, and it's too bad because a lot of it is just amazing.
About every other night I scan #starcitizen and Star Citizen on twitter for new screenshots that are really good from unpopular twitter accounts. The content tends to be fantastic.
And they share, because they love the game or what it represents to them... I'd argue... it's more likely popular brands make SC content for gain.. and not out of love like the smaller unknown guys and gals do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mich Angel

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
But since the kit is just posturing, the kit doesn't affect me as I don't need it and didn't agree to the terms. And I will posture toward that "kit" with moderate disdain. 💪 fight the power

Did you know there was a previous fan kit before this one called the "Fan-site Kit", released in 2013?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12995-Fan-Focus-Citizen-Card-Update-Fan-Site-Kit-amp-More

Fansite Kit

We’ve had a number of requests lately from Citizens looking for help starting their own fan sites. That’s great news, overall: where most games would spend millions of dollars advertising, Star Citizen relies on YOU. So anyone spreading the word is doing us a great service! We’ve put together a small kit to help get anyone interested in starting a fan site started. It includes:

• High-Res Moscow Concept Wallpaper (rescalable)

• High-Res Tyrol Concept Wallpaper (rescalable)

• 4 Squadron 42 Wallpapers

• Aurora Brochure

• Jump Point Issue #1

• RSI Logos in color and b/w

• Squadron 42 logo

• Star Citizen Logo

• Orbitron font

I assume you didn't download this one either so you've been unknowingly fighting the powah for 6 years already.

And for further reading here are the current ToS on Fan-made content:

D. Personal and Fansite Use

Solely in connection with your fansite or your fansite pages dedicated to any of the RSI Services, we may (in our sole discretion) grant you, on a non-exclusive and non-sublicensable basis, permission to reproduce and redistribute on your fansite to end users, certain RSI Services-related images, graphics or artwork (the “RSI Fansite Content”) and certain RSI trademarks and logos (the “RSI Marks”) that RSI may expressly designate “for fansite use” on the Website (or in separate electronic or written communications to you) so long as you comply with the terms and conditions described herein. You acknowledge and agree that RSI shall have the right to amend, delete, add to, or otherwise modify any RSI Fansite Content used or accessed by you, without prior notice.

You agree to clearly indicate that your use of Fansite Content and/or RSI Marks does not constitute official RSI use by displaying wording such as “This is an unofficial Fansite.”

Except as set forth herein, as the operator of an independent, unaffiliated web site, you will have sole editorial control over your fansite, except that you represent and warrant to RSI that your fansite will not post material that is illegal or infringes on the rights of third parties or harms the reputation of any of the RSI Services, RSI, or any of its affiliates, partners, or contractors, and their respective officers or employees. If at any time you post such material, RSI may terminate the license set forth in this Section. Your ownership of the fansite excludes the RSI Fansite Content, the RSI Marks and any derivative works based upon, or including the RSI Fansite Content and/or RSI Marks. The fansite is not a “Joint Work” as that term is defined in the United States Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code (“U.S.C.”), and is not otherwise a joint, collective or collaborative work under any other applicable laws.

You agree to include RSI’s trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights notices, as provided on the Website, when displaying any RSI Content, RSI Fansite Content, or RSI Marks, and agree to comply with any usage guidelines that may be provided by RSI from time to time. You shall not remove or alter any identifying information or copyright management information conveyed in connection with copies of RSI Fansite Content or RSI Marks, including in digital form; nor challenge RSI’s or its licensors’ ownership of the RSI Fansite Content or RSI Marks, nor use or adopt any trademarks that might be confusingly similar to such RSI Marks.

RSI reserves all rights, title and interest in and to the RSI Fansite Content and RSI Marks which are not expressly granted herein. You shall not rent, lease, reproduce, modify, translate or create derivative works of the RSI Fansite Content except as expressly permitted herein, nor create any derivative works (including without limitation fiction or visual art) from, or in any way exploit, any of the RSI Content, without the express written permission of RSI. RSI does not consent to the protection of any unauthorized derivative work under any applicable law. The creation and sale of Merchandize based on the Game, the Website, any RSI Content, any RSI Fansite Content or any RSI Marks is expressly prohibited.

You may not use any of the RSI Fansite Content and/or RSI Marks on your fansite if you charge a subscription or access fee to access your fansite, or if you make arrangements to generate advertising or sponsor revenue (except in regards to game streaming as set forth below), unless you enter into a separate license agreement with us in respect of your use of such RSI Fansite Content and/or RSI Marks on your fansite.

Under no circumstances will RSI be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary damages, including lost profit or lost revenues, of any kind in connection with your use of any RSI Fansite Content and/or RSI Marks. RSI reserves the right in its sole discretion to expressly refuse to grant any particular operator of a fansite with the permissions set out in this Section, or to revoke any such permissions at any time.

E. Video Use (incl. Gameplay Streaming)

In addition to the provisions of Section D above, the following shall apply to the use of RSI Content in videos and gameplay streaming:

We encourage you to make videos using RSI Content, such as playthrough or instruction videos or SFM movies. You may publish these videos online only, e.g. via your website or YouTube or similar video sharing services.

Your use of RSI Content in videos or streaming must be non-commercial. You may not charge users to view or access your videos, e.g. a paywall or mandatory charge, ticket, or subscription. You also may not sell or license videos containing RSI Content to others for a payment or compensation of any kind, and must respect the intellectual property rights of all respective owners. Nonetheless, you may allow paid advertisement on your streaming channels in accordance with the terms of service or agreement you may have with the video or streaming providers.

F. Contributing UGC to RSI Services

RSI respects the intellectual property rights of others. You must have the legal right to upload UGC to the RSI Services. You may not upload or post any UGC on any of the RSI Services that is protected by copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights unless (i) you are the owner of all of those rights; or (ii) you have the prior written consent of the owner(s) of those rights to make such use of that UGC. RSI may, without prior notice to you, remove any UGC that in RSI’s reasonable opinion may infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party. If you infringe RSI’s or a third party’s intellectual property rights, RSI may terminate your Account after notifying you of your breach of these TOS. If your Account is terminated for your breach, you may lose access to the entitlements and assets associated with your Account.

G. License Grants by You in UGC

In exchange for RSI enabling you to contribute UGC or use RSI Fansite Content or RSI Marks (both as defined above in Section D above) when you contribute UGC to an RSI Service or use any UGC in connection with any RSI Fansite Content or RSI Marks (e.g. on a fansite), you hereby expressly grant to RSI a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, complete, unconditional and irrevocable right to quote, re-post, use, copy, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, syndicate, license, print, sublicense, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the UGC, or any portion or any derivative work thereof, in any manner or form and in any medium or forum, whether now known or hereafter devised, without notice, payment or attribution of any kind to you or any third party. You grant RSI all licenses, consents and clearances to enable RSI to use such UGC for such purposes. You waive, and agree not to assert any moral or similar rights you may have in such UGC.

If the RSI Service on which you contribute any UGC permits other users to access and use that contributed UGC as part of the RSI Service, then you hereby also grant all other users of the relevant RSI Service the non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, complete, unconditional and irrevocable right to quote, re-post, use, copy, reproduce, modify, display, perform, create derivative works from, and otherwise communicate and distribute your contributed UGC on or through the relevant RSI Service without further notice, attribution or compensation to you.

H. Unsolicited Creative Submissions

RSI places a particular value on its interaction with its customers and fans, and the Star Citizen community. However, if you haven’t executed an RSI submission agreement in advance, neither RSI nor any of its employees or contractors may accept or consider any unsolicited ideas, original creative artwork or other works, including, without limitation, ideas or suggestions for new or improved games or technologies, game or product enhancements, marketing plans or names for new games (collectively “Unsolicited Ideas”). Please do not send your Unsolicited Ideas to RSI or its employees and/or contractors without first contacting [email protected] to obtain a copy of the RSI submission agreement, which you will need to execute and return before submitting any Unsolicited Ideas.
p. If you do submit your Unsolicited Ideas to RSI or to any of its employees and/or contractors despite this policy, then you hereby acknowledge and agree that, from the time of transmission or dispatch, you grant RSI, and its designees a worldwide, perpetual, unconditional, irrevocable, sub-licensable, transferable, assignable, non-exclusive and royalty-free right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, translate, create derivative works of, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for sale and import your Unsolicited Ideas, including, without limitation, all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents, industrial rights and all other intellectual and proprietary rights related thereto, in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, including, without limitation, giving the Unsolicited Ideas to others, without any compensation to you.

To the extent necessary, you agree that you undertake to execute and deliver any and all documents and perform any and all actions necessary or desirable to ensure that the rights to use the Unsolicited Ideas as granted to RSI hereunder are valid, effective and enforceable. You also give up any claim that any use by RSI and/or its licensees of your Unsolicited Ideas violates any of your rights, including, but not limited to, moral rights, privacy rights, rights to publicity, proprietary or other rights, and/or rights to credit for the material or ideas set for therein.

[...]

A. RSI Content, User Generated Content

RSI Content” includes (1) software, software updates or patches, or other utilities and tools from RSI or its licensors (“RSI Software”) and (2) other text and audio visual material, the design and appearance of the Game and the Website or other RSI Services. The foregoing includes, without limitation, computer code, titles, objects, artifacts, characters, character names, locations, location names, stories, story lines, dialog, catch phrases, artwork, graphics, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, character likenesses, user Accounts, and methods of operation.

UGC” is user generated content provided by you or other users of the RSI Services. RSI does not pre-screen any UGC and does not endorse or approve any UGC that you and other users may contribute to any of the RSI Services.

RSI reserves the right to remove UGC that is illegal, contrary to these TOS or objectionable to us for any reason. RSI does not assume any responsibility or liability for UGC.

You are solely responsible for your UGC and may be held liable for UGC that you post.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos#fansite_use

Hope thats useful and helps to flesh out what you have already agreed to vs whats being requested on the Fankit article.

"You agree to include RSI’s trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights notices, as provided on the Website, when displaying any RSI Content, RSI Fansite Content, or RSI Marks, and agree to comply with any usage guidelines that may be provided by RSI from time to time."

As this seems to be a new usage guideline it appears in accepting the main ToS you've already agreed to comply...?

Also the ToS lines:
"RSI reserves the right in its sole discretion to expressly refuse to grant any particular operator of a fansite with the permissions set out in this Section, or to revoke any such permissions at any time."
and
"RSI reserves the right to remove UGC that is illegal, contrary to these TOS or objectionable to us for any reason."
seems to be another way of saying:
"You agree that CIG has the right to review your use of the CIG Fankit and any other material that uses or derives from, in whole or in part, any property, trademark, copyrighted, or original content created by or for CIG, and further agree to remove or cease usage of any unapproved or disapproved work or material at CIG’s request. "
...?

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Whoohoo! I had no idea about this previous fan site kit until right now. Thank you for sharing.
The right to remove in general tos I believe only relates to content on the RSI website itself (and in the game?) and not outside of the RSI website (or game?).
So should still be good I would think.

Either way, putting these logos on everything fan made deserves to be satirized

Reactions: Mich Angel

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I dunno, but I didn't download it because I didn't agree to the terms, besides from what I hear, there's nothing worth while in the kit that we didn't already have access to.
Now if it was the high resolution models of the ingame armor... I would RUSH to accept the those terms because of the massive amount of time it would save me for my cosplay...
like many many MONTHS of time. Seriously... lol
I created this thread a long while ago asking and willing to sign a contract for access to them on a limited basis for limited use.
It's the 2nd most upvoted thread in the modding subforum on spectrum
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/petition-for-access-to-high-poly-models-under-nda-

My friend then you will have to call me a liar because I know a quite a few who make art which I've found online that didn't hardly even share it.. just posted it on an ignored Twitter account or some social media somewhere which has 0 likes or shares. I go hunting for content like that to share. For example this person
IIRC only couple views, no likes. I was the 1st like and asked for verification if the person built it.
The person did it because the person likes Star Citizen.. it's obvious hardly anyone knew about the channel.
So I shared it on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6pey9u View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6pey9u/this_person_did_an_amazing_gladius_replica_in/

and BAM! Thousands of views, and for a couple to a few more videos afterwards and more subscribers...
.... man.. I wished that happened for my stuff.. I get views but no new subscribers lol

I digress.. my point.. is there's TONs of people out there, that make Star Citizen related content, that hardly no one will see, and it's too bad because a lot of it is just amazing.
About every other night I scan #starcitizen and Star Citizen on twitter for new screenshots that are really good from unpopular twitter accounts. The content tends to be fantastic.
And they share, because they love the game or what it represents to them... I'd argue... it's more likely popular brands make SC content for gain.. and not out of love like the smaller unknown guys and gals do.

Yeah as I said the one that does it are rare, I didn't say they're few and when you do it for your self well then it's not to benefit the original product is it. ;)
And no I would never call you a liar ever, unless you was one and you're not, so it will never happen ;)
CHEERS!

Reactions: DirectorGunner

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I can understand the intention of CIG: on the one hand they want to promote the "fandom" and provide high quality materials for free non-commercial use. On the other hand, of course, they want to avoid producing plagiarism, printing T-shirts, or printing models that can then be sold profitably on eBay or the like. That's how I understand it. But looking to all the creative people who feel connected to SC and want to support it with their time and resources, I find it problematic. According to the terms of use, we (creatives) are no longer allowed to criticize SC, and if we "misrepresent" facts from CIG(!)'s point of view, they have the right of "correction" or even deletion. So I can only report positive things about CIG and SC. Welcome to China(?).

That being said, I have/will kindly adopt/ed the logo "Community made" in my new video/s and my fans on Patreon support me now because they like me and not because they find SC interesting. And there's no more advertising for Patreon within the vids. But I also have to say that my motivation to get involved with CIG is basically gone. For the German community I translate the ATVs for some time now, and that's it. One hand washes the other, and in the past years some people have ripped their butts for SC and CIG in their spare time. Was there ever even a little "thank you" from CIG? No. That's okay, because the thank you came from the community. Not okay are the new terms of use - although I can understand the intention behind it. Conclusion: there is - once again - a lack of communication. A little background information would have been nice. The direction in which CIG thinks. Looking onto "marketing and communitcation" they still have a lot of catching up to do.

Forgot your password?