Industry Orion - Starfarer Partnership

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure how I missed this back in march but it does seem that the Orion partnered with a Starfarer or two along with Hulls would be a great mining op.

Christopher Roberts@croberts68
March 30th at 10:00 pm
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/quantum-drives/2031225
The Starfarer will be able to transport and deliver / refuel in flight both regular thruster propellant and Quantum Matter. It will also be able to refine Quantum Matter into Quantum Fuel. The only aspect not decided is the mining aspect as we really don't want to make the Starfafer a heavy duty mining ship but its likely we'll have some smaller equipment; like a hand held mining device to allow you to EVA out to collect Quantum Matter - but we haven't decided this just yet.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Oh yeah, it's why I have a StarG, someone is going to have ferry/collect fuel for remote operations
What this means is remote operations will be producing Quantum Ore that the Starfarer can brew into Quantum Fuel and then only needs to go vist the nearest gas planet for some thruster propellant and will never have to go back to a station again.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well one day you will need to haul all that stuff that you mined to a station

Wait we are not just going to store it in our big treasure pile in space?

Correct that is what Hull's are for.

But of course! The more industry ships you have, the more successful (or potentially hazardous) your op will go! :D

Dont forget the SRVs to move all that cargo around from ship to ship.
I am interested to see what they have in mind for the SRV role and how they plan on moving cargo around or if its always going to be like it currently is and just magically appears and disappears.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Wait we are not just going to store it in our big treasure pile in space?

Correct that is what Hull's are for.

I am interested to see what they have in mind for the SRV role and how they plan on moving cargo around or if its always going to be like it currently is and just magically appears and disappears.
Oh they plan on using it a LOT for cargo manipulation both in and out of atmosphere. If you watch the youtube segment that came out right after the ship concept sale, they go into a good amount of detail on how they want it to behave mechanically.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It's funny I have been looking at the starfarer gemini again recently and thinking it could be a good hauler for goods under fire. Especially if they eventually bring out AI / pilot controlled turrets - that huge 2 x S6 turrent on top and the 4 x size 4 pilot guns with tie optional nose mounted missile launcher could be potent for breaking through....er..protestors.. Also handy to be able to strap the fuel tanks and the fuel intake back on and go help testies large mining operations!!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
An avenger titan started shooting me up in my gemini just away from port olisar for no reason whatsoever.

It took me 9 seconds to turn around and 1 second to kill him.

I got a crime stat. So I figured I may as well stay naughty, went and did some shoot NPC cops missions. Easy money. When i got to level 5 I then had people coming to try and pick up their £6k bounty on me. No one could.

In the end when a particularly doggedly determined chap/chapess eventually came back with his starfarer gemini (after I destroyed his other ships one by one) and we got into a starfarer gemini deadlock, neither of us could take down each others shields and we tried all sorts including ramming. In the end I turned my shields and engines off and let him take the bounty. £6k well earned for him!

Starfarers a beast.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Yesterday at the MISC expo I was exploring the interior of the Starfarer.

I got lost. Took me a solid 5 minutes to find the cockpit, because I thought it would be on the same level as the crew quarters, when it's a level down?

Was MISC paid by the door for this ship or what?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yesterday at the MISC expo I was exploring the interior of the Starfarer.

I got lost. Took me a solid 5 minutes to find the cockpit, because I thought it would be on the same level as the crew quarters, when it's a level down?

Was MISC paid by the door for this ship or what?
It's insane how it's laid out eh? Not sure how I feel about it.

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
Yeah, they could easily push the seats much further forward. Alternatively, if they decide the bad visibility is a "balancing factor", then at least allow us to customize the flat shelf with flair items. It wouldn't even have a real effect on the visibility. :p

Forgot your password?