Ownership/Risk/Reward of research discoveries/IP

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
has there been any thought, or discussion I missed in a thread, as to how TEST will handle research discoveries?

As an example, I have an Endeavor, and am out with a super collider and make some discovery on exotic energy that can be used for shields or energy weapons (or whatever, this is an example). The ship is mine,a nd I'm using NPC's to crew the ship, but I'm receiving money from TEST to help fund the venture. Obviously some of the 'ownership' for that IP/discovery would be mine, but some would also belong to TEST.

Any thoughts on how that will work? I'm also trying to figure out how it will work if there are player's involved in the research, how they would be fairly cut in for their time and efforts. It's quite fascinating, to me.

IP is obviously going to be a big thing in research.. the fact the Herald exists speaks volumes.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
I can see where it's easy to agree on a flat fee to pay players, but I feel like they'd work harder if they were in for a cut. if you have a fighter pilot/ship protecting you, they aren't doing research but they are making sure you can do it unmolested, so I'd think they deserve a cut.

When we go to sell/license IP, it would be nice if we could provide a list of player names and % they get for those profits, and then it's all open and they don't have to question if you will be honorable, or what happens if you don't log for a month and they don't get their money in a timely manner.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
has there been any thought, or discussion I missed in a thread, as to how TEST will handle research discoveries?

As an example, I have an Endeavor, and am out with a super collider and make some discovery on exotic energy that can be used for shields or energy weapons (or whatever, this is an example). The ship is mine,a nd I'm using NPC's to crew the ship, but I'm receiving money from TEST to help fund the venture. Obviously some of the 'ownership' for that IP/discovery would be mine, but some would also belong to TEST.

Any thoughts on how that will work? I'm also trying to figure out how it will work if there are player's involved in the research, how they would be fairly cut in for their time and efforts. It's quite fascinating, to me.

IP is obviously going to be a big thing in research.. the fact the Herald exists speaks volumes.
HA test give YOU money? no, more like YOU give TEST money..... :P

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I can see where it's easy to agree on a flat fee to pay players, but I feel like they'd work harder if they were in for a cut. if you have a fighter pilot/ship protecting you, they aren't doing research but they are making sure you can do it unmolested, so I'd think they deserve a cut.

When we go to sell/license IP, it would be nice if we could provide a list of player names and % they get for those profits, and then it's all open and they don't have to question if you will be honorable, or what happens if you don't log for a month and they don't get their money in a timely manner.
on a serious note, i think it would be good to wait and see what game mechanics are implemented into the game before I can speculate on what is fair payment and how it should be handled.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Honestly, I think it will be more like what I've seen for exploration.

You go out and find stuff like the location of an asteroid field. You then have a choice. You can sell it to the market, or you can sell it to Test. I am hoping Test will offer the most in terms of money and intangibles/other rewards. Sometimes it might not be. At that point, you have a choice to make.

While I don't speak for the org, I can guess that no one will be receiving funds until they have something to sell or use.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
it was a theoretical question with a fabricated scenario.
too late man, now we all know that you made this discovery, plus you owe some green to test, and it better be delivered on time ( note - we also accept beer)

jokes aside - any research expedition is a poker game, and most probably there will be a way to hide findings from the in-game "investors", so it will be all about honour and reputation

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
Like Printimus said, it's a little too early to hash most of this out. Once we know more about how the research mechanics are going to work we'll be able to start drafting business plans. Maybe something as simple as a "sponsored by TEST Squadron" bit in the tagline? The more mad scientists we recruit the fewer enemy doomsday weapons we have to worry about. I mean we'll have to worry about ours more, but that's the trade-off I guess.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
already there are 1.8 million Citizens

don't count on your discovery staying secret for long

IMO the best strategy will be a quick sale to an org or the UEE

Reactions: StdDev
Forgot your password?