PC advice please?

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
The comments above are good advice. The price for the mainstream gaming cards are inflated pretty bad right now due to another round of people interested in crypto currencies. I would go with the suggestion of the 1080 since it is the least likely right now to have its price inflated from the crypto market demand. The 1060's and AMD 480/580's market area are most effected. AMD's Vega should be competitive with the 1080 so I dont see any upsets in graphics performance in the near future.. but you never really know.

On the CPU side your setup is just fine for current games so I would hold off and do a CPU upgrade early next year if you wanted. Reason being, the launch of all the new AMD Ryzen cpu's is causing Intel to make some changes and by early next year the main stream gaming CPU's from Intel will be 6 core instead of the current 4... or you can go with the new AMD's but i would give that the rest of this year to mature with the motherboard bios's and game patches that will come out supporting the new architecture.

Hope that helps you. Im pretty up on the tech since i build all my own systems and occasionally other peoples as a favor to them. I also make suggestions to friends and family all the time on whats best for what they need it for. :slight_smile:
On a R7 1700 here and its crushing anything I can throw at it :D . But yes as everyone has said he should wait on a new build and at least wait on GPU till we see what vega brings to the table, worst case its on par with nvidia with price and performance, best case its just as good but cheaper and or makes nvidias cheaper! :)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Look at how much you want to spend now, vs how much you want to save for later (full upgrade)

Lots recommend a 1080Ti or just a 1080, but I would look hard at the 1070 as well. For half the price it's not a bad deal, plus the funds to your build account will be replenished a lot quicker.

I would wait and get a top tier video card when you build your next PC. That said, the 770 is only one of the two things holding you back. The other is the location of your game. This game needs to be on an SSD. I would recommend it be played on an M.2 card, but an SSD is the miniminum for performance these days. Spinners may be able to claim transfers at the same speed, but in reality, the read/write for them can't compare to the SSDs. In fact, I would recommend that before you get your new video card, try playing it first with SC on the SSD. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised. In fact, you may even be able to hold off until the next gen processors and video cards become available/more affordable/more reasonably engineered.

The problem with SSDs is longevity. They have improved over the years, but not enough IMO. I think the next few years will have significantly better longevity (it's already there in the more expensive ones), and this will consign spinners down to archiving and very low priority tasks such as holding your iTunes repository.

Reactions: Miasmic and Passeeo

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I say as most already have, put your money on a new GPU card rest of your system is well good enough. If you want to go one step more then buy a better CPU but after GPU, but as I see all you need is more GPU power and go for a GPU card that have 4GB ram or more .. for now

CHEERS! :beers:

Forgot your password?