PC Part advice plz

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Hey everyone. As some of you may have seen on Discord, my cat broke my computer a week or so back and I'm in the market for a new rig.

Long story short make sure your cats are put up if you're installing a new CPU cooler, otherwise they might knock your motherboard and CPU on the floor, breaking it beyond repair.

Old computer that I was saving for upgrades for anyway so not a huge loss, if an annoying one. CPU and mobo are toast and the rig was 8 years old (AMD FX-8350 and a 380X for reference).

Currently scouting out all parts minus the GPU, which will do fine until I can save up for that later.

Current plan is for a semi-buget build of around 600-700 for all parts (minus GPU, as above). Old case is too scratched up and dusty, and the old PSU is some chinese 80+ bronze crap that was getting some bad coil whine anyway, so fuck it. Doesn't need to be AMD but I've had good experience with their CPUs and GPUs in the past and I've heard nothing but good things about their Ryzen series.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650w Gold+
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz
and a bog standard ATX mid case, probably a Rosewill or something.

Don't need 4k or 1440p, single 1080p monitor squad right here. I'm not that much of a computer parts guy so any advice or recommendations would be appreciated from the IT Squad!

🍻

Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Ryzen 2000 is finicky with ram so make sure your ram is on their supported list. I would try to see if you can budget out a 3600 though, the Zen 2 platform is what got everyone super hyped.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Ryzen 2000 is finicky with ram so make sure your ram is on their supported list. I would try to see if you can budget out a 3600 though, the Zen 2 platform is what got everyone super hyped.
I can probably swing that, only ballpark 80 bucks. What level of performance increase would I be looking at? And would the 3000 series be less finnicky with RAM? I had to toss my current 36GB off DDR3 apparently since it wouldnt work with any new CPUs, according to my techie friend in my DnD group.

Reactions: Deroth

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
That’s accurate, DDR4 is what’s used. I’ve had good outcomes with Corsair Vengence 3200 RAM in my AMD build.

If you can, spring for a 500 GB M.2 drive (be sure your motherboard supports it) for your operating system and Star Citizen. Asus ROG Strix should do and it’s a good platform for Ryzen

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I designed a PC for a friend in April of this year and of-course half the parts are no longer sold... Basically it comes down to balance. If you're spending more than $1600.00 you're doing it wrong, and that amount includes a case and power-supply. If you're re-using the case you should be good for 1000.00-1200.00 for a fresh build.

Looks at the benchmarks, there are multiple sites, a 10% performance increase is not worth a 30% or higher price bump.

I haven't looked at CPUs in a few years so I can't tell you if AMD or Intel is in the lead and what the advantages are to each. Same goes for Nvidia vs ATI. But I follow the same rule, typically if the best video card is selling for 800+, I look for the 4-600 dollar option which is usually one tier below. I believe the Nivida 2070 fits that bill right now...

My current rig will be 3 years old soon, it runs SC just fine and any other game I throw at it. If you want specifics I can post them here, but what I remember is I have 16GB RAM, 2x 500GB SSDs, a platter drive for storage, NVidia 1070, an Intel i7 (Model here) and obviously an Intel compatible Mobo (Model / Brand here). The power supply is 750 watts EVGA that's had zero issues. I'm not into flashy cases so I have a fairly streamlined looking one made by Phanteks.

Don't get caught up with ordering all your parts from one vendor, I got half of my stuff from Newegg, and the rest was between Amazon and Ebay. Ironically the CPU from Ebay was being sold by Amazon for less than it was listed for on Amazon's website.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :like:

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
If you can, spring for a 500 GB M.2 drive (be sure your motherboard supports it) for your operating system and Star Citizen. Asus ROG Strix should do and it’s a good platform for Ryzen
I 2nd this. I was in my 2nd home couple of weeks ago, the computer up there had a mechanical drive. SC took forever to load up literally over 1 min. While I normally don't even notice the load-up screen it is so fast. I don't believe the load times is noticeable with other games, but with SC it was different.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I 2nd this. I was in my 2nd home couple of weeks ago, the computer up there had a mechanical drive. SC took forever to load up literally over 1 min. While I normally don't even notice the load-up screen it is so fast. I don't believe the load times is noticeable with other games, but with SC it was different.
Same goes for SSDs however the M2s are even faster.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I designed a PC for a friend in April of this year and of-course half the parts are no longer sold... Basically it comes down to balance. If you're spending more than $1600.00 you're doing it wrong, and that amount includes a case and power-supply. If you're re-using the case you should be good for 1000.00-1200.00 for a fresh build.

Looks at the benchmarks, there are multiple sites, a 10% performance increase is not worth a 30% or higher price bump.

I haven't looked at CPUs in a few years so I can't tell you if AMD or Intel is in the lead and what the advantages are to each. Same goes for Nvidia vs ATI. But I follow the same rule, typically if the best video card is selling for 800+, I look for the 4-600 dollar option which is usually one tier below. I believe the Nivida 2070 fits that bill right now...

My current rig will be 3 years old soon, it runs SC just fine and any other game I throw at it. If you want specifics I can post them here, but what I remember is I have 16GB RAM, 2x 500GB SSDs, a platter drive for storage, NVidia 1070, an Intel i7 (Model here) and obviously an Intel compatible Mobo (Model / Brand here). The power supply is 750 watts EVGA that's had zero issues. I'm not into flashy cases so I have a fairly streamlined looking one made by Phanteks.

Don't get caught up with ordering all your parts from one vendor, I got half of my stuff from Newegg, and the rest was between Amazon and Ebay. Ironically the CPU from Ebay was being sold by Amazon for less than it was listed for on Amazon's website.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :like:

Not bad. Not sure I agree with the prices but that could just be personal preferences as for the ratio of the total cost to Video card cost I agree with. The other thing is if you can wait for the great deals like Cyber Monday in November and in July when prices typical get dropped to make room for the new.

Reactions: Szioul and Deroth

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
Hey everyone. As some of you may have seen on Discord, my cat broke my computer a week or so back and I'm in the market for a new rig.

Long story short make sure your cats are put up if you're installing a new CPU cooler, otherwise they might knock your motherboard and CPU on the floor, breaking it beyond repair.

Old computer that I was saving for upgrades for anyway so not a huge loss, if an annoying one. CPU and mobo are toast and the rig was 8 years old (AMD FX-8350 and a 380X for reference).

Currently scouting out all parts minus the GPU, which will do fine until I can save up for that later.

Current plan is for a semi-buget build of around 600-700 for all parts (minus GPU, as above). Old case is too scratched up and dusty, and the old PSU is some chinese 80+ bronze crap that was getting some bad coil whine anyway, so fuck it. Doesn't need to be AMD but I've had good experience with their CPUs and GPUs in the past and I've heard nothing but good things about their Ryzen series.

Don't need 4k or 1440p, single 1080p monitor squad right here. I'm not that much of a computer parts guy so any advice or recommendations would be appreciated from the IT Squad!

🍻
Ryzen 5 3600
You can save money if you choose brands like Aerocool (PC CASE) instead of Corsair. If you want a PC more for playing and less for showing.
You don't need a top notch ROG series motherboard unless you are going to do serious OC.
Samsung 970 Evo plus 500 GB M.2 is a good SSD price/performance.

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If you can budget it definitely get a SSD for OS and core applications and make sure the MB supports M.2 NVMe so you can dump games like SC on it.

Can you make it until the November sales kick in? For my last build doing that got me some killer deals on parts I didn't think I'd be able to get.

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
If you get an M.2 for speed be sure that it's an NVME drive rather than a Sata M.2. Also be sure that said Motherboard supports the NVME drive.

The M.2 form factor alone does not make it any faster :p

As far as NVIDIA vs AMD goes. NVIDIA ensures you have a better experience at a premium. AMD is the budget choice that ages well as their driver support typically improves over the life of the card.

I've not heard any bad things about 3rd Gen Ryzen processors. The main selling point for an Intel processor is the faster single core speed compared to somewhat slower single core speed but good multi threading speed from Ryzen. Effectively the Intel processor is superior for single core tasks (games), but comes at a price premium. The difference shouldn't be a huge deal breaker if your budget is at all a concern, so by all means game on a Ryzen.

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

🍻
You want 24 GB of memory for SC minimum.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Not bad. Not sure I agree with the prices but that could just be personal preferences as for the ratio of the total cost to Video card cost I agree with. The other thing is if you can wait for the great deals like Cyber Monday in November and in July when prices typical get dropped to make room for the new.
I'm always up for saving a buck, would love to see how you do things differently.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
After a couple years now not playing SC, I decided a couple weeks ago to do a budget build. Found a suggested build on the web. Don't need a case or a GPU, so it's paired down to under $400. Upgrading the SSD to 500GB, and upgrading power supply to at least 500W and the MOBO to an MSI full ATX instead of a micro, and I'm still under $500. If this is good enough for now, I'm a happy camper. Waiting until cyber Monday might afford some additional upgrading.

1572630618456.png

Forgot your password?