Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Greetings TEST Squardon,

I've started a petition on the RSI forums to request that CIG add Free Flight Mode as a multiplayer option in Arena Commander.

When you have time, please read the original post and vote in the petition thread. With the power of TEST, we can get this going and hopefully snowball the thread to where it will not fall off the main page and provide a solid reference point for this widely requested multiplayer mode. Perhaps it will be the turning point and CIG will schedule it for inclusion in Arena Commander.

Thread here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/218417/petition-request-for-cig-to-add-multiplayer-free-flight-mode-to-arena-commander

Thank you for your support!

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I would disagree with this petition. It would be nice to have this as an option, however it would require someone to drop what they are currently doing and do something else for an X amount of time. I'm sure the devs have enough workload as it is than to add more useless features to a testing/demonstration module.

Just my .02$

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I would disagree with this petition. It would be nice to have this as an option, however it would require someone to drop what they are currently doing and do something else for an X amount of time. I'm sure the devs have enough workload as it is than to add more useless features to a testing/demonstration module.

Just my .02$
Though I get your thought process on it and personally bitch when my commander tries to add yet another mission to a very full schedule I think this would benefit the developers in the long run.

Basically by allowing pledges to just "play" around in the current map selections in Arena Commander it allows to find perhaps additional bugs.. that they will have to solve at one point anyway.

As a non-programmer I imagine this would be a somewhat EASY change... like flipping a light switch. As someone who worked with software coming up on two decades ago.. I know its a lot harder than a switch ;)

Side part to this approval though is something else to keep the "masses" happy. Yes everyone is just a pledger and AC and what it is technically to me is a bonus. It's always good to have more appetizers and drinks as your waiting for the main course though...

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
They already have multiplayer free flight.
It's called battle royale in a private match. Just don't shoot each other.

Reactions: maynard

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
It's called battle royale in a private match. Just don't shoot each other.
OK, cool. Now where do we land so we can do all the fun stuff that requires landing since there is no landing pad in any multiplayer map?

They added the landing pad in solo Free Flight Mode for a reason. It's time to have that reason apply to multiplayer as well.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I think you're missing the bigger picture here, so let me repost some examples of what we could do with multiplayer FFM:

1. Let your friend try out your Hornet while you take a spin in their Mustang Delta.

2. See how many Auroras you can pile onto the landing pad before everyone explodes.

3. Play hide-and-seek with your ship or without it, all with no "Press X to respawn" notice on your screen.

4. Have a friend hop in the back of your Super Hornet and try out being your turret gunner.

5. Have small FPS battles starting from the landing pad and beyond, again with no persistent respawn notice initially.

6. Do a make-shift race around the asteroids with a 350r and M50 with a space pal, then swap ships and do it again.

7. Fly around in the Mustang Beta while your significant other takes a nap in the back and/or makes cookies (RP mode enabled).

8. Pile some buddies into the back of your Cutlass and practice doing EVA deployments. This would also be a first-time demo of running a multi-crew ship and a sample of multi-crew to come. This will no doubt result in many LOLs. :D

None of these are feasible without some serious ship glitching and even then, it's really not easy. I spent three stream shows just trying to figure out how to get people into the back of my Cutlass, which required that a large hole be blasted through the side, effectively destroying the ship. With access to multiplayer FFM, this would be as simple as everyone landing on the landing pad, then getting in my ship and taking off. No glitching or blasting required.

Since we basically only have access to dog fighting and racing, it's not surprising that some folks aren't thinking outside the box on what all we could possibly do in Arena Commander. Adding Free Flight Mode to multiplayer would add a whole new, ridiculous world of fucking around in space in our ships. And I, for one, cannot wait for this to be added. ;)

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I have no doubts that we'll get it eventually, but I don't think it's a priority at the moment. honestly, while I'd love to see MP free flight, I'd also rather see multicrew ships, the new mission modes, and large world implementation first. And who knows, maybe they've got it cooking on the back burner and are just waiting for a large enough patch to cram it into. My point is, starting a petition is all well and good, but I'm not sure it's going to get anywhere.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
My point is, starting a petition is all well and good, but I'm not sure it's going to get anywhere.
You can always sign it, then I'll the do the waiting for the both of us. ;)

I have a feeling that if they could implement it in a week's time, they will since I'm not the first person to request it and certainly won't be the last. If it would take months, then yeah, they'll probably skip it in favor of focusing on multi-crew in AC 2.0. But if it's the former, I'd rather have multiplayer FFM during our 6-month plus wait for AC 2.0 than not.

Again, the point of the petition is to be a solid point of reference on the overall interest in having multiplayer FFM. If the thread gets big enough, say with 1,000+ votes, I can imagine a Dev will chime in eventually and give us a firm answer one way or the other. Even if it's in the negative, at least that will satiate the curiosity of why they hell they didn't include it in the first place. :p

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I'd have signed it already if I could get to the forums here at work. My opinions on the matter and my support of your petition are not intrinsically linked.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
You sound hot. <3

Also, I have the opposite problem. I can get to the RSI forums from my work computer, but the TEST website is blocked. I'm on a mobile Wi-Fi device right now. Maybe they think being able to check out TESTSquadron.com will cause me to drink on the job...hah.

Forgot your password?