Planning for Future Upgrades

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
So, my current computer is getting a little behind the bleeding edge. I built it about 2 years ago, on a limited budget, but with some solid purchases that let it play most games pretty smoothly. That said, the Hangar module makes it cry pitifully unless I cut it back to just a single ship. So, I foresee upgrades in the not-too-distant future.

What I'm looking for here is an idea of where the bottlenecks in my system lie, and what i should focus on upgrading first, whether to just toss the whole shebang and start from scratch.

Here's my franken-baby as it stand now:
CPU: i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Socket 1155 LGA (Overclocked to 3.8 GHz)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68
Memory: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance, 1600 MHz
HD: 2 TB Western Digital
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers!

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
Can't see any problems beyond the fact that you'll need to upgrade your GPU. An SSD would be a good idea too.
The overclocked i5 is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I'd upgrade that GPU ASAP. If you want some extra file performance, get a 128 or a 264 GB SSD. That will help a ton if you put windows on there, and you'll have much faster boot time.

That CPU is an awesome CPU, no real need to upgrade unless you want an i7.

Decoys84

Captain
Nov 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Decoys84
GPU is probably the only real problem. That said I remember I think it was Travis Day mentioned that there are times in arena commander where the CPU is limiting but he did not mention the rest of the configuration that was for. I'm sure other guys are using the same GPU with better graphics cards and can give you an idea of there current performance.

Also long term if the CPU is a problem you can still use the upgraded GPU in the new rig. I run the R9 280x at 1080p in arena commander and don't have to many video issues but it may slow down and require a low graphics setting if they start adding more ships etc.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
The GPU is the only thing I really see that needs replaced. A SSD would be nice as well but the 570 needs to go. Your VRAM limited as well as just slower. A 280X (7970) can be found used for $140, 290X for around 200 or so. New you can have a 290x for something like 260 now. Great values.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I've been running NVidia cards for about as long as I can remember. How different is switching to a Radeon?Is it just a matter of dropping in the new card and installing new drivers? Or would I need to configure my system in any other way? Also, if I decide to go for it, would a 970 be overkill for my system?

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
It would be mostly a driver swap, that's it.

A 970 would be plenty for your setup.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
The GPU is the only thing I really see that needs replaced. A SSD would be nice as well but the 570 needs to go. Your VRAM limited as well as just slower. A 280X (7970) can be found used for $140, 290X for around 200 or so. New you can have a 290x for something like 260 now. Great values.
Where in crap did you find a 290X for 260?

Reactions: Civil Hypocricy

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
To be totally honest, I do perfectly fine without an SSD, though I have often considered getting one. Your most critical need right now is for a GPU.

I might even be able to manage to have a lightly used EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB (factory overclocked) for sale within a couple days, which would give you some time to plan out a full system upgrade/replace.

Some advice: Getting a good board from ASRock is a lottery and the odds are against you, you might want to consider going with a leading brand next time like EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI or Asus. Every custom system builder I know has completely dropped ASRock because it costs them a bundle to have to RMI 3 out of every 4 motherboards.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm thinking that after Christmas, January-February time frame, I'll probably do a small stopgap upgrade to a 280 or 280x. Other upgrades will probably wait until I do a full system rebuild for SC launch.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm thinking that after Christmas, January-February time frame, I'll probably do a small stopgap upgrade to a 280 or 280x. Other upgrades will probably wait until I do a full system rebuild for SC launch.
280X will probably be able to play SC at launch.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
They have been pretty clear that the release version will be geared towards the midrange of the PC market at the time it comes out, so depending on the resolution and number of your displays it might strain a card that by that point in time will be generations out of date.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
To be totally honest, I do perfectly fine without an SSD, though I have often considered getting one. Your most critical need right now is for a GPU.

I might even be able to manage to have a lightly used EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB (factory overclocked) for sale within a couple days, which would give you some time to plan out a full system upgrade/replace.

Some advice: Getting a good board from ASRock is a lottery and the odds are against you, you might want to consider going with a leading brand next time like EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI or Asus. Every custom system builder I know has completely dropped ASRock because it costs them a bundle to have to RMI 3 out of every 4 motherboards.
In order for high end boards: Asus, Giga, Msi, asrock, evga

Why? Asus have proven time and time again to run higher clocks and last longer on all of our benchmarking runs. High also makes some great gear but just slightly behind. Msi of late has been pumping out some good stuff. Not enough hands on to swing my vote yet. Asrock makes good stuff, only on their high end. Avoid the rest. Evga had numerous bad generations of trash recently. Only now have they started to push ok stuff. Still, overpriced for the performance.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
I've been using Asus motherboards for years, my last three boards have been from them, but I won't touch an ASRock with anything that isn't disposable. Out of the last 100 ASRock boards I have seen less than 20 of them did not need to be RMI'ed, frequently multiple times. EVGA had some motherboard quality issues in the past (though not NEARLY as bad as ASRock) but have gotten much better recently. They also make some of the best video cards money can buy and have done so for many years. I use them in my own gaming computers and then pass them on either to personal friends or sell them to online gaming friends and out of the last 7 I have owned every single one is still going strong in someone's computer, somewhere. They may look to be a tad pricey, but if you're buying boards at retail, well...*shrug*...newegg, ncix, tigerdirect, amazon are cosntantly having one sale or another.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Hardforum and Overclock.net marketplace. Not hard to find. The other day a 290X Lightning was 300 on newegg. That is one hell of a card.
Any chance of some links to said deals?

Reactions: CrashMan054

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
You do realize that anything you buy from ebay is from a random internet stranger too, right?

Most of the good prices you see on Amazon are also third party, random internet strangers.

Forgot your password?