Players getting hacked

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Just had a nice long lengthy chat with a player on redit about players accounts getting hacked. It's not that hard to prevent yourself from getting hacked. For all of you out there make sure you are protecting your accounts and perform most of these if not all.

Don't put your password on notepad on your desktop
Don't use the same password for every account you have on the internet
Use a very complex password with phrases number symbols for each password
Do not goto those Oh lala websites especially the ones that are so open and vulnerable with 600 ads that pop up on your computer
Don't give your account info or password to your friend or state it to someone in messenger
Don't advertise yourself to be targeted.
Change your passwords monthly
Use virus protection AVG is free its not the best but its something and don't disable it or your firewall.

with this being said Be smart Be vigilant on the internet stay safe so you can play in the verse.

EDIT: adding some recent scams going around at the moment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/67iqlc/scam_alert_just_been_contacted_about_a_rather/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/5vtk8o/scam_alert_uzengras_deleted_his_reddit_account/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/67ejdx/scam_alert_heads_up/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/67ecjc/scam_alertnew_scam_wave/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/67xl9d/scam_alert_scammed_by_reddit_user_raidyac/

Last edited:

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
Or just use the cig app for the 2-step authentication
Came here to say this. If a company offers 2-step authentication for any account that you have, you should use it (unless you truly care not at all about that account).

edit:
Curious: Why is the email 2 step worthless?
It's not worthless... but it is less secure, because there is no need for physical access to your device, just access to your email account.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Came here to say this. If a company offers 2-step authentication for any account that you have, you should use it (unless you truly care not at all about that account).

edit:

It's not worthless... but it is less secure, because there is no need for physical access to your device, just access to your email account.
Yes worthless is a bit of an overshot it is a bit more security but most likely if they gained access to your account then they already have access to your email which is how it all probably began. The IT world is always becoming more dangerous everyday and people forget that then next thing you know it they have something of worth stolen from them which ends up causing more issues on someone else's end of the rope most likely there product was sold to another person and the person had no idea thinking they bought something from a legitimate seller on a reputable site. lately scammers and hackers have become a huge thing in the SC trading world as of late. Use 2 step authentication(even if just email) like Takran stated to keep your account safe phone is much much more safe as they need to physically have your phone with the algorithm to gain access to your account.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank

edit:

Access to my email is granted through my phone, lol. So isn't it the same thing for me then? Can't access my email without pressing the 'access' button on my phone. So they would need to steal my phone, crack my gmail password, and then crack my RSI password to get my ships.... (which can all be done with a key logger and a baseball bat... but whatever...)

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Access to my email is granted through my phone, lol. So isn't it the same thing for me then? Can't access my email without pressing the 'access' button on my phone. So they would need to steal my phone, crack my gmail password, and then crack my RSI password to get my ships.... (which can all be done with a key logger and a baseball bat... but whatever...)
Yeah your account should be good to go unless CIG ever got hacked and the hacker went straight for your account. You should be good though that is good IT security right there which is how all emails should be setup these days. CIG should force 2 step authentication to perform gifting via phone though if they already have the RSI authentication software it should be a standard then no one can really claim oh my ships were stolen and the grey market could have actual good business. I'm going to propose this to them in my chain of emails whenever that begins im currently in the process of reporting an ebay scammer who sold a massive amount of ships to people that are now coming up to be stolen. He has unregistered from EBAY. Hopefully they listen and do something about this the grey market brings in a lot of players and new funding for CIG all the time. Not to mention it helps people get the ships and deals they missed out on that wont be returning to the market.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Yeah your account should be good to go unless CIG ever got hacked and the hacker went straight for your account. You should be good though that is good IT security right there which is how all emails should be setup these days. CIG should force 2 step authentication to perform gifting via phone though if they already have the RSI authentication software it should be a standard then no one can really claim oh my ships were stolen and the grey market could have actual good business. I'm going to propose this to them in my chain of emails whenever that begins im currently in the process of reporting an ebay scammer who sold a massive amount of ships to people that are now coming up to be stolen. He has unregistered from EBAY. Hopefully they listen and do something about this the grey market brings in a lot of players and new funding for CIG all the time. Not to mention it helps people get the ships and deals they missed out on that wont be returning to the market.
I happen to be in IT and know a tiny bit about things involving passwords and security :D

I'll show you my favorite password that I had to abandon since it takes like 20 minutes to type into a phone

F(x,y)=x^2+y,G(x,y,z)=x^3-2y^2+3z

Yeah.... hella easy for me to remember and a nightmare to brute force :D

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
My favorites are like this
!I8h6A7t5E3Y0o9U!
If you look closely you get
I hate you and 8675309 something super easy to remember but by god good luck ever guessing that. Btw that's not one of my passwords lol. People are so predictable these days with passwords like 1qaz2wsx its called a waterfall and that is definitely on the hackers list of things to try. or they use a family members birthday their own birthday anniversary dates so on so forth. Gotta be unique don't make it easy right? lol

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I personally use keepass 2 to make a password that is stupidly long and saves in a crazy file that takes about a 1000 years to hack into.
Recently that has been a pretty big craze but im old school I write it on a paper and put it in my house haha nothing is more safe then having a physical copy away from the digital world. Also with Keypass if the hacker has hacked physically into your system they can use it while you have stepped away to gain access locally from your computer.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
This is why I use Star Hangar to buy/sell internet spaceships.
What's your luck with that? the prices are so high whenever I see the ships for sale there that I have been avoiding it. Ive always used Redit except that one time for a couple hundread with this ebay guy if I lose that I expect it I calculated that possibly he was one but who knows maybe i'll be safe in the end of this.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
How fast do you sell stuff on there I have had this redeemer that I keep dropping the price and no one is buying lol I might just change it to something else have any good suggestions?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Recently that has been a pretty big craze but im old school I write it on a paper and put it in my house haha nothing is more safe then having a physical copy away from the digital world.
I do the same thing. I have a password book in my house with all of my accounts and passwords on it. I've been keeping it for years so I don't need to remember any of the hundreds of emails, usernames, and passwords that I have collected. In order to get to it, you have to physically break into my house. Which comes with a whole pile of "good luck with that". I have a daughter, so you need to get past the reinforced doors, security windows, alarm system, camera system that sends push notifications, and me (who has a faster response time than the police).

Oh, and for the record, use 2 factor authentication wherever you can... This is the world we live in now. You either keep up or get run over.

Forgot your password?