Please don't like my thread-campaign

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Fuck you monday!
It's Easter Monday here so it's no work day. Also I'm on my way to get my first shot of AstraZeneca, which is quiet a surprise considering I'm not in any endangered age or health group. It might still turn out that they don't actually have enough vaccines on hand just ordered in a bunch of ppl and hope some won't show up.
Anyways, this Monday is not yet as fucked as usual! Yay!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's Easter Monday here so it's no work day. Also I'm on my way to get my first shot of AstraZeneca, which is quiet a surprise considering I'm not in any endangered age or health group. It might still turn out that they don't actually have enough vaccines on hand just ordered in a bunch of ppl and hope some won't show up.
Anyways, this Monday is not yet as fucked as usual! Yay!
I hate Monday's. Not a holiday here, but this time VPN to work isn't working - and I'm awake.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I hate Monday's. Not a holiday here, but this time VPN to work isn't working - and I'm awake.
Ah yes, I know your pain, have work VPN issues as well.

Most of my colleagues can connect without any issues, but mine only works if I turn on my VPN first (PIA) and then connect windows VPN to work. But then only one of the servers show up, not the one I need.
So as a workaround I have to run a virtual Ubuntu in HyperV, cos the VPN works on that one and I can reach the server. Only issue is that to get files moving between them I have to upload stuff in Windows to my wetransfer and download it on the virtual machine and then upload again to the server. It's soo slooooow (talking 20+ gigabyte transfers)... and it takes up a huge amount of space. And all this while I live 3 minutes away from my workplace, on foot!

Anyways, after showing up on Monday for my jab, it turned out the bureaucracy messed up (as expected) and I wasn't on the list. They couldnt find my name. I wasn't alone with this issue, there were like 10+ ppl there who had the same issue. So after waiting around a bit they found some names that didn't show up for theirs, and gave me a shot anyways.

First night was just a slight man-flu, but yesterday was hell, I felt really shit. Pain in the extremities, dizziness, risen temp, all kinds of crap. This thing hits hard.

Also I received my Photon Mono resin printer yesterday but the washncure machine didn't show, so I couldn't start massproducing auroras yet. Getting IPA to clean up parts seems like will be problematic as well with the virus around, it's hard to find it in stock.

@Blind Owl Noice!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Also I received my Photon Mono resin printer yesterday but the washncure machine didn't show, so I couldn't start massproducing auroras yet. Getting IPA to clean up parts seems like will be problematic as well with the virus around, it's hard to find it in stock.
Wait... you clean 3d printed parts with IPA?
Let me know how the Photon works for you when you get it all together, I was looking at the same model. Just waiting for me to actually get paid before I make a decision

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I was reading up on Prize details for Omaze as I was curious as to what exclusions and limitations they have when offering their prizes (was curious as to how much of the funds collected actually went to the charity organizations) when I came across this gem.

if the Potential Winner is a Canadian resident, (s)he must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question to be eligible to be confirmed the Winner.

1617813512888.png

So I figured I'd help out our Canadian members with a sample problem so if they ever are prize winners they are ready.

euler-constant-closed-form-1569528169.png

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I was reading up on Prize details for Omaze as I was curious as to what exclusions and limitations they have when offering their prizes (was curious as to how much of the funds collected actually went to the charity organizations) when I came across this gem.

if the Potential Winner is a Canadian resident, (s)he must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question to be eligible to be confirmed the Winner.

View attachment 20576

So I figured I'd help out our Canadian members with a sample problem so if they ever are prize winners they are ready.

View attachment 20575
Thanks brother! However, as a certified, maple-blooded Canuck, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the answer was, is, and will always be: beer.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

View attachment 20576

View attachment 20575
It's because of a Canadian law that says that winners of a sweepstakes must answer a skill testing question.... if it's not a Government run lottery.
... it gets a little funny.
Here.

And @Blind Owl is spot on with his answer. Beer is always the answer especially if you got the skill testing question wrong.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Makes me wonder if how easily it would be to abuse this. I offer up a raffle and then make the skill testing question not possible to be answered by the vast majority of the population and thus legally not able to fulfill the prize and thus able to pocket it.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Wait... you clean 3d printed parts with IPA?
Let me know how the Photon works for you when you get it all together, I was looking at the same model. Just waiting for me to actually get paid before I make a decision
I took it he was a proud test who drank the IPA while cleaning parts.

That abbreviation is often cause for misunderstandings. IsoPropylAlcohol. Not the beer type, sadly. That would be wasteful and too low on alcohol content. Some shit palinka or cheap whiskey could work though.

I had no dedicated IPA yet, so I used generic alcohol based sanitizer in a spray bottle, that stinks to high heaven so it must have had high enough concentration of alc. It worked fine. Here are my first print results, all printed on one plate, 5 hours 15mins, default settings at 0.05 mm layers, all using rafts+struts with waaaaaay overblown on the antialiasing. Went with x6 or x8 (max), should have went with x2, cos a lot of detail was lost.
Also I was impatient, didn't really care, so I just tore off the supports which broke quiet a few small details and left holes. Probably went way over on the supports and should have used less and taken em off with care using sidecutters.

I used a tin foil hat and the built in UV light tester setting to cure them (5x200sec full open test), worked like a charm on such small pieces. Ofc this is not great on the longevity of the machine so shouldn't be used often.
All models are from myminifactory and thingiverse

Some pics are from before cure, so it still looks more muddy than it is.

IMG_20210407_213351.jpg

IMG_20210407_210208.jpg

IMG_20210407_182419.jpg

IMG_20210407_182331.jpg

IMG_20210407_182307.jpg

TLDR.: I think this (photon mono, not X, not SE, just mono) is the best bang for the buck resin printer you can get at the moment. My sample size for this statement: 1.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Still playing with my Photon Mono.
Some today's stuff that actually printed, some failed.

IMG_20210409_002027.jpg

I broke some bits on the cyclones. 100micron, very fast print at roughly 35mm length, printed almost flat on small supports for less layers=faster print. Took about 30-40mins I think. They look good enough for throwaway tabletop quality, but not superb ofc.

IMG_20210408_161223.jpg

IMG_20210408_165130.jpg

Auroras are the only ones that came out fine, although one was a total loss as it stuck to the bed after it's support raft was done. If I keep this up, I can blot out the sun with em one day!

Objective was to figure out some of the limitations in the software side as well as the resin. Printing seemingly good but non-manifold meshes still works, mostly. I have two prints that I need to revise and rerun sometime for some SC ships, cos they all failed miserably.
Turns out the default values for the resin (2sec exposed/layer) is very much below the threshold for minimal time of what this resin should be used at. So while fast, it can't do 100micron layers at that rate, that too thick. It said "official" on the settings so I thought it's ought to be okay... well it wasn't. Second per 10 microns is a basic go-to for your expo times, doubling that isn't a bad idea to be safe. If you want nice solid detail on small parts, 50 microns layers with about 20second-ish expo times is where you should start. Unbelievable that yesterday those pieces had so mich deal with just the 2 second exposures.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
TLDR.: I think this (photon mono, not X, not SE, just mono) is the best bang for the buck resin printer you can get at the moment. My sample size for this statement: 1.
It looks good.

I had a pair of Creality printers in storage for the last 3 years - up until about 6 weeks ago. They were destroyed in a flood. I've moved my workspace to an upstairs bedroom now, and I'm thinking it's time to get back into 3d printing now I have more space.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It looks good.

I had a pair of Creality printers in storage for the last 3 years - up until about 6 weeks ago. They were destroyed in a flood. I've moved my workspace to an upstairs bedroom now, and I'm thinking it's time to get back into 3d printing now I have more space.
If you get resin printers, make sure the space can be ventilated and airflow closed off to the rest of the place, cos after a day of constantly printing, washing and cleanin the thing, it get really smelly. Headache inducingly bad. The resin itself when freshly poured isn't that bad at all, but after multiple hours of it being in the "open" and whatever alcoholy stuff you are using to clean em, it gets too much. I am very much used to having jars of paint thinner and enamel paints and glues around me, but this stuff gets heavy even for me.
+Also top tip I just learned: get paper towels. Not just a roll or two... All of em. lul

Otherwise, I don't really get the what all the fuss is about resin printers being problematic to work with. I've been told by FDM owners that it's such a hassle to deal with and they wouldn't even consider buying one cos it's alljust a horror show of setup and cleaning....
Assembly/Setup/leveling takes about 2 weeks less than with an FDM (5minutes and you're printing away just fine), and you don't need to clean everything for hours... If the last print came out fine, just scrape off the plate, run the plastic tool along the tanks bottom (FEP) to see if there's anything stuck there (unlikely), top up the tank if you have to, and continue printing.
Cleaning takes all of 5-10 minutes if you're careful and don't spill anything. After I watched some youtube vids from "pro printing ppl", I assumed the slightest mark on the FEP means it's ruined.... Nah, unless it has a scratch or "dent" the size of which you would notice even on a car from 10 feet away, it's gonna print just fine. You do have to scrape away dried resin though, that's bad if left on it.

One important little detail about the Photon Mono:
It has a plastic tank, with a proprietary FEP attachment. You cannot just replace the film itself. You need to buy it as an assembly, frame+FEP. An official 2-pack costs as much as a Metal Tank with a FEP already installed in it, and in that you can actually change just the FEP which is much cheaper. I already bought one and it fits even better than the original plastic tank lol
Brand is called Sovol or something like that I think.
Top tip n2.: when you buy a resin printer, immedetly buy more FEP (or the replacement tank in this case), it can be easily damaged if you drop it onto something and it pokes it or something... And wihtout a good FEP, you are out of luck, no printing until replaced.
Top tip n3: resin goes real fast if you keep printing for days, and it's pretty easy to get carried away. You will need like a 100ml in reserve just to pad out the tank and ensure good flow even for very very small and flat prints. So having a model taht needs approx 20ml resin used, means you need like a 100ml or more (haven't really measured) just to be safe and sure that the part you are printing is always fully wet.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If you get resin printers, make sure the space can be ventilated and airflow closed off to the rest of the place, cos after a day of constantly printing, washing and cleanin the thing, it get really smelly. Headache inducingly bad. The resin itself when freshly poured isn't that bad at all, but after multiple hours of it being in the "open" and whatever alcoholy stuff you are using to clean em, it gets too much. I am very much used to having jars of paint thinner and enamel paints and glues around me, but this stuff gets heavy even for me.
+Also top tip I just learned: get paper towels. Not just a roll or two... All of em. lul

Otherwise, I don't really get the what all the fuss is about resin printers being problematic to work with. I've been told by FDM owners that it's such a hassle to deal with and they wouldn't even consider buying one cos it's alljust a horror show of setup and cleaning....
Assembly/Setup/leveling takes about 2 weeks less than with an FDM (5minutes and you're printing away just fine), and you don't need to clean everything for hours... If the last print came out fine, just scrape off the plate, run the plastic tool along the tanks bottom (FEP) to see if there's anything stuck there (unlikely), top up the tank if you have to, and continue printing.
Cleaning takes all of 5-10 minutes if you're careful and don't spill anything. After I watched some youtube vids from "pro printing ppl", I assumed the slightest mark on the FEP means it's ruined.... Nah, unless it has a scratch or "dent" the size of which you would notice even on a car from 10 feet away, it's gonna print just fine. You do have to scrape away dried resin though, that's bad if left on it.

One important little detail about the Photon Mono:
It has a plastic tank, with a proprietary FEP attachment. You cannot just replace the film itself. You need to buy it as an assembly, frame+FEP. An official 2-pack costs as much as a Metal Tank with a FEP already installed in it, and in that you can actually change just the FEP which is much cheaper. I already bought one and it fits even better than the original plastic tank lol
Brand is called Sovol or something like that I think.
Top tip n2.: when you buy a resin printer, immedetly buy more FEP (or the replacement tank in this case), it can be easily damaged if you drop it onto something and it pokes it or something... And wihtout a good FEP, you are out of luck, no printing until replaced.
Top tip n3: resin goes real fast if you keep printing for days, and it's pretty easy to get carried away. You will need like a 100ml in reserve just to pad out the tank and ensure good flow even for very very small and flat prints. So having a model taht needs approx 20ml resin used, means you need like a 100ml or more (haven't really measured) just to be safe and sure that the part you are printing is always fully wet.
Thank you for the great advice! I have an almost large closet I can use to put the printer in, actually I could put both in. It doesn't currently ventilate to outside but I can do that. The closet is adjacent to an exterior wall and it has access to the attic vents. so that shouldn't be too hard. I have large quantities of shop towels, they're absorbent and don't react with most chemicals. The things you don't think of when getting into this are legion!

I'm mostly going to use this to learn and try a few things out. The other printer is going to be a bit of a workhorse, but it's not a resin printer, and only needs PLA. I just need to shield against the noise. I remember I used to start a print, then end up in a meeting... and it wasn't quiet. This setup should work, and if the printers don't play nice together I can separate them with a wall.

Forgot your password?