Power outage last night and wifes PC will not boot

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I love these random problems first thing in the morning!

We had a howling storm hit last night, unyielding winds in the early morning, powerlines somewhere must have taken a hit.

This morning wifey goes to boot up the PC... nothing.

It powers up, the fans spin, the USB keyboard lights up, so we know we have power.

I have had this problem before on my PC, it was a matter of unplugging the power cable, letting it sit for 1min and pushing holding the power button down, re-plugging the power and it worked!

Unfortunately this trick did not work.

Great! Its probably a power surge that fried something!

Off comes the side panel in hopes that something was loose and needed to be pushed back in.

RAM comes out, goes back, no change.

Sniff test reveals no burning smell, I guess thats a good thing, but I did get a nostril full of dust.

Power cycle again, no change.

In my head Im starting to calculate the cost of new parts, but its a huge waste of money to buy new parts for this 6yr old PC.

After prodding things with my finger for another minute I decide to pull out the USB cable in the front of the PC so I can bring it closer to me. Understanding that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over, I push the power button and I am suddenly greeted by the whirling sound of a hard drive and the pleasant beep of a motherboard booting up!

I am an expert hacker!

Contact me for any PC related problems you may have.

SirDigby

Lieutenant
Feb 11, 2016
RSI Handle
SirDigby
Yeah ... make sure to unplug it before you start touching components inside.

I had something similar happen a few years back. I left the computer on overnight to download something. In the middle of the night the power went out. When I woke up the next morning the computer would start to boot up, then click off and try again, rinse and repeat. It ended up being a blown motherboard.

Only watched for a minute but this might be a good vid to run you through troubleshooting this.

It just strikes me as weird that removing a USB device lead to your computer turning on.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Might I suggest Since you keep having this happen, investing in a few good surge protectors (not power strips). They are worth every penny when you think about what you are plugging into them and most good ones come with a sort of insurance if they fail you. I use a few of these cheap bad boys.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
My computer has so many weird little quirks that I'd have to write a novel to list them all. And it's only 2 years old!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Wait didn't you have this same problem a couple months ago?

Edit: Yeah this one, https://testsquadron.com/threads/lightning-storm-computer-dies-explain-this-to-me.4378/

I usually never hear about pc's having these many problems with storms. Could there be something up with the wiring in your house?
Possibly house wiring, possibly North Carolina. Spring thunderstorms can be absolutely beastly there. Also the summer ones. The autumn thunderstorms can be pretty bad too, when they're not overshadowed by the hurricanes.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Montoya test the psu. Unplug the motherboard side 24 pin power cable. Put a paperclip jumping between 16 and 17. If you are holding it with the female sockets looking at you and locking mechanism on your right then pin 1 is a square peg on the upper left, pin 13 is a half circle peg on the upper right. Turn on the psu and do not hold the paperclip. See if psu powers on. It might turn on them briefly turn off and a little bit (less than a minute) back on again. If it does turn on steadily then the problem is you motherboard back.

Unplug you gpu and power on.

Unplug your ram and test and see if you get a ram error on loading.

Finally unplug your cpu and see if you get an error.

If nothing you motherboard and maybe more is bad.

Edit nevermind reading is hard at 0600.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
No no! It was good!

This advice actually came up in other searches, so I am impressed at your 0600 ramblings!
You have to remember to a lot of us this is first nature to us. We don't even think we just know these steps because we have done them so many times and walked people though them a lot of times as well :) haha kind of like you and stocks

Reactions: Blind Owl

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I powered down my PC during a big electrical storm, but I didn't think to disconnect the modem from the phone line

sure enough, my modem got fried

Forgot your password?