Pretty creepy

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
I always think that an auto-shotgun with a high rate of fire would work well against those kinds of small and nimble targets. By putting up a wall of pellets it wouldn't have much chance of evading them for to long, especially since they cant see the pellets, just direction of fire.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Until there isn't. Do we really this man is known for his/her nature. Think of last century.
The "Man-in-the-middle" doctrine isn't just stipulating a single person. IIRC from my Navy Engineer days (was a civy), all decisions regarding strikes would still follow the same chain of command had the intel and execution been with a human actor: approvals all the way up and down the chain before a "go" is granted. This means lots of potential safeguards against one guy getting a hold of the entire system, since the approval list would probably be pretty deep.

To add to this, the very nature of a system that simply "finds targets by specific inputs" (Gender, ideology, race, religion, etc) would be fought tooth and nail by so many people, it would be worthless to implement. We're talking immediate overthrow of whatever entity puts it into play.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
The "Man-in-the-middle" doctrine isn't just stipulating a single person.
I hope for the best too. I am prior military and I understand how this stuff works, I understand the military and gave it 12 years of my life, I also know they make HUGE mistakes and psychopaths sometimes get promoted. I am just saying, they have been known to contract to very bad actors and make big mistakes. Crap, this is simple drone tech... think about the nano technology coming online... it will make drones look like childs play.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Typically, that "command drone" would be whatever USAF or USArmy base that's nearby. Like I said, the US Military's current directives regarding AI are "There will always be a man-in-the-middle." The AI may select the target and best course of action, but no action would be taken until a human pressed the red button.
Did you say red button?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Remain cynical, humans.
Remember way back in 2011? All over social media, scuttlebutt popped up about ancient Mayan predictions about the end of the world in the year 2012. Never you mind that the Mayan calendar actually just cycled differently than the Julian calender we're accustomed to. 6 months later, a multi-million dollar flop of a movie came out. It was nothing more than a contrived social media advertizing campaign.
This is fake news.
On yet and even more cynical note:
Follow the reasoning of the scenario presented. Why would Big Brother/the Evil Empire want to purge its newly minted debt slaves on college campuses? Who's going to be taxed to pay for all our murder-droids if there are no film arts degrees and social science majors due for years of the rat race just to keep their heads' above water?
And if it's not just some marketing ploy, who do you think is really interested in financing rabble rousing against unmanned technology that keeps soldiers out of harm's way?
Not to mention, $25 million? Somebody's not keeping up with how much no-bid gov't contracts go for.
Buy a box of bird shot for $20 and sleep like a baby.

Forgot your password?