Probably Spoilers: Star Wars 7

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Ok, I've waited a day, but wtf disney? That movie was horrible. I have loved Star Wars, in spite of the prequels, but damn, I would rather watch TPM again than whatever the hell that was. Congrats on making a shit ton of money on a movie that was basically ANH remake.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Its JJ Abrams you expected an original story? Ill watch the new star wars when it is easilly accesible for free.

DarraignTheSane

Grand Admiral
Dec 18, 2013
RSI Handle
Darraign
I think a heavily derivative story really works for Star Wars. Hell, everything in the SW universe is cyclical.

That's nearly the one constant in all of SW lore (both canon and EU/legends) - everything happens again. And again, and again.

(edit) - Also, we don't know for sure that Rey is Luke's daughter yet, so the "being Kylo Ren's cousin" part could possibly not be true. It just more than likely is.

I do say all of this having absolutely loved the film, though. I've read a good portion of the EU books etc., and I think it couldn't have been more... Star Wars-y.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Its JJ Abrams you expected an original story? Ill watch the new star wars when it is easilly accesible for free.
I don't know Salt, I guess I expected something more than cheap comedy. I mean, ANH was the original Space Opera and really was executed well. I think I'm done supporting Disney with this though and just going to go with the free option if I want to see anymore.

I think a heavily derivative story really works for Star Wars. Hell, everything in the SW universe is cyclical.

That's nearly the one constant in all of SW lore (both canon and EU/legends) - everything happens again. And again, and again.

(edit) - Also, we don't know for sure that Rey is Luke's daughter yet, so the "being Kylo Ren's cousin" part could possibly not be true. It just more than likely is.

I do say all of this having absolutely loved the film, though. I've read a good portion of the EU books etc., and I think it couldn't have been more... Star Wars-y.
As for being Star Wars-y I don't think that could be farther from the truth. I didn't feel like I was watching a Star Wars movie, I felt like I was watching someone try to remake Star Wars but couldn't quite remember everything and didn't feel like researching any part of it and then they threw a massive amount of money at the screen. I wish someone could explain to me how this was a good movie, but so far people can't get any farther than the CGI being amazing.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I loved it too, precisely because it seemed to have that New Hope vibe and script :P Of course I wont' be happy if the rest of the movies are basically ripoffs of the original trilogy but I think what JJ was trying to do here is to ease us back into the universe (desert start, bar scene, etc.)

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I had my issues with it, but I thought it was excellent overall. Much better spiritual successor to the original trilogy than any of the prequels. I'm happy they didn't repeat the mistake of attempting to explain the full context of the conflict and instead just concentrated on the development of the characters. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Star Wars movie, but definitely 2nd or 3rd favorite of the 6.

I loved it too, precisely because it seemed to have that New Hope vibe and script :p Of course I wont' be happy if the rest of the movies are basically ripoffs of the original trilogy but I think what JJ was trying to do here is to ease us back into the universe (desert start, bar scene, etc.)
This was exactly my reaction as well.

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
Its a nice breath of fresh air from the prequels and i liked that it was similar in story, i just hope that they diverge the next two enough from the originals. also the fact that jarjar dies at the end really made me sad.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Cant you guys just go into a movie with a open mind..Im old enough to have gone into the theatres an seen all three original movies..I went in with a clean slate open mind, an loved every part of the movie..Give it time it wil grow on yall enough said from a die hard fan a original die hard fan.
That's just it though gladestone. How can you go into a Star Wars movie with a clean slate open mind? Denoting Episode 7 means that it was referring to a continuance of the story. Maybe if they had just called it Star Wars The Force Awakens and not trying to say it was Episode 7 I could have gone into it differently. I was excited for this movie and instead just feel disappointed by the lack of anything really having any substance.

I walked out of Star Trek happy, excited, and thrilled that they rebooted the series. But then I heard arguments from the die hard trekkies that it wasn't what they expected. I still enjoy watching that movie though. So maybe, it was the fact that my hopes for a Star Wars movie were higher than could be met.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I personally was absolutely delighted with this movie. I think that part of what it made it work so well for me was that it did get back to the roots of what made the original trilogy so good. I'll even admit that I saw a lot of the parallels with ANH, but I also saw the parts that were new, the lead-in for new stories. I feel like this movie was meant to break away from the over-detailed prequel trilogies, where they alternately dissected everything until the magic was gone, or ignored things mentioned 5 minutes beforehand and created idiotic plot holes. It grounds itself in the traditional Star Wars, but poises the franchise as a whole to create new stories.

Wafflez

Space Marshal
Sep 7, 2014
RSI Handle
Wafflez
As a huge Star Wars fanboy, I loved it!

Perfect blend of old nostalgia stuff and new exciting stuff. 2 New lead characters are awesome and have a great chemistry and Kylo Ren is a fantastic villain. This film did a great job of passing the torch, introduced 3 great character that I'm now really looking forward to seeing in Episode VIII. Can't say enough good things about it, I've seen it 3 times and am probably going to see it 4th!

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
There is only one good thing that this movie has shown me.
That is that the segmentation of the expanded universe, as the Legacy Canon, from the Cinematic Canon, turned out to be a good thing. Because it prevented the any of that from becoming the train wreck that was episode VII.

I went in with no expectations, and honestly thought to myself when the opening lines were scrolling in the title, what it was I wanted for dinner. I am thankful that I made a decent choice on that decision, because that blasted movie left an aweful taste after consuming it.

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
The movie was GREAT! Talk about a blast from the past, got to re live some childhood memories, compared to episodes 1-3 then this was in a whole other ballpark.

Yes they played it safe, for sure, and relied on a old template and nostalgia, but all in all it was executed great.

Best Sci-Fi movie to be released in a loooong time.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Cant you guys just go into a movie with a open mind..Im old enough to have gone into the theatres an seen all three original movies..I went in with a clean slate open mind, an loved every part of the movie..Give it time it wil grow on yall enough said from a die hard fan a original die hard fan.
No because star wars is a series. It is setup to be encapsulating and a steady story. You go in expecting to see a star wars movie. This is where jj abrahms flunked star trek. Fans went to see Star Trek inline with the common series. Instead they got something totally new that didnt belong. He tried to play it off as a alternate universe but things were changed prior to when the universes split. This caused fans to get upset and him to leave star trek at the earliest time.

So going in with a open mind just means you go in expecting anything that doesnt even resemble that series. By saying they are making a canon star wars movie it is expected you can go on there with a closed mind thinking of the other 6 movies and how they worked.

Naruw

Grand Admiral
Aug 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Naruw
I have to say I too thought that the movie was pretty Blah!. It really suffered two major problems.

1) The hype around this movie is so great, we are inundated by commercials and promos-teamup to push this movie in our face 24 -7. After we are show plot points and hints at the script through the ad campaign it ruins some of the mystic and discovery in watching the movie unfold organically.

2) True to form JJ is far more interested in making a visually appealing movie then one based on deep meaningful dialog. I really like some aspects of the charters but Fin and Princess Leia's lines seem so phony and stale. General Huck seemed a really bad casting choice and there are more holes in the plot then can even be expressed.

After the movie i was trying to decide if I like it , which in of its self is the answer to the question. It was just OK (5.5/10) When they released the dead pool promo I was more enthralled by that then the whole of Ep 7. Maybe its just me and maybe I'm getting to old for star wars but I was pretty disappointed.
I'm hoping that it was only laying the ground work for 8 and 9. All that being said, my 10 year old loved the movie and maybe that the point, while our tastes change over the years ep 7 is capturing another generation into the star wars universe and as funny or sad as it sounds. I spent hours explaining the concept of the force to my son and how it applies to the real world and the honor and justice that we should all strive for and protect much like the Jedi.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Episode 7 was little more than a fan-service circle jerk. Now, I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. I like the movie for what it is, but honestly do you think Disney was going to let anyone get too clever with the plot or characters? After the fan reaction to 1-3 they knew they had to play it safe and that is exactly what they did. Were the parallels too strong? Probably, but that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. Or even a bad star wars movie (it does have its flaws though).

Proving that they weren't going to fuck things up even more (after spending a billion dollars) was not an option with this one. Getting the old school fans back on board while getting new fans involved was the plan and it worked. There's another Star Wars movie coming out every year for at least the next 4-5 years. Only episodes 8 and 9 are going to further the overall timeline. Rogue One takes place between RotS and ANH, most likely the Kenobi and Fett/Solo films will as well.

They're following the Marvel model to a T here. Take plots and characters that fans already know, make movies out of them, then once you've proved you can do that right start branching into new plot territory. I expect to see a lot of fun stuff in 8, even with the cyclical nature of Star Wars.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Also the fact that Rey defeated Kylo Ren without any training. Like...wait a minute? Isn't he supposed to be the one that killed all Luke's Jedi in training? So he should be at least mildly badass right? Oh well. Movie magic.

Still really dug the movie.

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
Also the fact that Rey defeated Kylo Ren without any training. Like...wait a minute? Isn't he supposed to be the one that killed all Luke's Jedi in training? So he should be at least mildly badass right? Oh well. Movie magic.

Still really dug the movie.
Rey was probably trained as a Jedi when she was young, but she cant remember it, that is why she get flashbacks when se touched Lukes lightsabre and that explains why she can use the Force.

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
This is where jj abrahms flunked star trek. Fans went to see Star Trek inline with the common series. Instead they got something totally new that didnt belong. He tried to play it off as a alternate universe but things were changed prior to when the universes split. This caused fans to get upset and him to leave star trek at the earliest time.
JJ is not done with star trek though. the reason he is not directing episode 8 is so he can work on star trek

Forgot your password?