PSU noise

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
Hi Fellow Testies,

Need some advice as the Internet is not being conclusive.

Since I got my new 980ti my psu (corsair cx 750) when playing games has been making what can only describe as a kinda noise you'd get when something was caught in the fans. Have tried compressed air but it hasn't cleared it and can't see anything in the fans, so am thinking now it may be coil whine, probably doesn't like the extra work of the new gpu.

Is it safe to carry on using the psu or do I need to rma it asap?

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Sounds like a bearing is going out on the PSU fan tbh. If you have other fans in the case have you tried putting your finger on the center of them to stop them and see if they may be the cause?

Could also be a cable is rubbing a fan and you don't see it. I had that happen once rubbing the kevlar around the power cables going to the mobo.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I believe I have a 750 psu and my rig is extremely quiter. I dont know if it is what black sunder has stated, but I would agree its not from a power overload.

edit: forgot to mention i have a 780ti as well.

Last edited:

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
The noise definitely appears to be coming from the area of the psu, my case fan is on the top and has rubber screw holes to prevent vibration, the psu is at the bottom of the case and the noise was happening when gpu fans hadn't spun up.

If it is the psu fan bearing then probably should rma it sooner rather than later.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
My 970 gives my PSU coil while. I RMA'ed the first 970 I got for a different reason, and the new card also gives me coil whine. It sounds similar to something caught in a fan, but it only happens when the GPU is under heavy load. AFAIK, from what I read, there are no ill effects, besides the extra noise. I would try playing a game with lower graphics settings, and seeing if the noise is there. For me at least, the coil whine also stops when I go into a menu or loading screen, or any spot where the GPU load drops.

Also, for me at least, the sound is clearly coming from the PSU, practically in the middle of it. It seems make the noise at a higher frequency then when a cable is hitting the fan, and slightly higher pitched (although the pitch could vary from PSU to PSU). Again, this only happens when the GPU is under heavy load (Like when entering the hanger in SC, but not during the loading screens)

Shutter

Grand Admiral
Mar 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Shutter
It may or may not be the new psu. When the noise is happening, manually stop each of the fans, one at a time. If the noise is from a fan, then you'll know which one, or if it is something even more worrisome.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
coil whine is just annoying...fan problems are a huge red flag. sadly there is no was to control psu fan on the software side. the best clue would be does it instantly start doing it when the game goes or does it take some time before it starts in?

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
If you are 100% sure its not the gpu. Then you psu is having coil whine, probably from the extra work needed. It might work itself out, but not likely. If you can deal with it then you dont need a new psu. If its loud then you might need to replace it. Can also clean the psu and see if that helpsm

Reactions: Ichiru

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
instantly when the game gets into hanger.
Does it stop immediately when you exit the game? Can you use Riva Tuner Statistics Server or similar program to get an on-screen display of your GPU power usage or load? Try to see if its a direct correlation to GPU load and noise. I found my coil whine only starts when the GPU is over 69% (nice) load.

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
Yes, it stops when i exit a game. Had a quick experiment and looks like when the power utilisation on the graphics card hits around 50% (difficult to see exact figure) it starts to get loud, GPU utilisation looks somewhere around 60% at the time.

Forgot your password?