PSU Reccommendation

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I've just got a new R9 280X, and it pretty much maxes out my current PSU. I'd like to get a new CPU on top of that, what's a good PSU brand?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
corsair, corsair, corsair. There is no alternative. For a single R9 280X, I would guess a 500-600 watt PSU would do the job. Though higher won't do anything bad, and will give you some upgrade wiggle room.

Well, realistically speaking, if you really are looking for alternatives: Make sure A, japanese capacitors. B, single mono-rail. C, rated AT LEAST bronze, go for gold preferably and platinum if possible. I have had good results with NZXT's power supplies when you're on a budget, but corsair really is almost always the way to go.

UPGRAY3DD

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jan 26, 2014
RSI Handle
UPGRAY3DD
It's been a while since I bought a PSU, so forgive me if this is common practice nowadays, but I would highly recommend a modular PSU. It makes cable management a lot less of a nightmare.

Reactions: CrashMan054

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
If you only plan on using a single graphics card, a good choice would be Corsair 550W. Go for a semi or fully modular setup. Easier cable management.

No need to break the bank or go overkill with wattage.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs550m
I've got a 500W, but it's pretty much maxed out with my i3 and my HDD. I was looking to add another disk drive and a much better CPU, so I need a bit more.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
If you are in the US, I always suggest to try and get the best Corsair unit you can get. I can elaborate further via PM if you wish. Also, in my experience (which could measured as "a lot of dang experience") PSU's are one of the most common culprits of issues and very often take out MoBo's, GPU, etc when they go so I always, always suggest getting the best, most expensive, and highest-rated unit as possible Where are you located Crash?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
If you are in the US, I always suggest to try and get the best Corsair unit you can get. I can elaborate further via PM if you wish. Also, in my experience (which could measured as "a lot of dang experience") PSU's are one of the most common culprits of issues and very often take out MoBo's, GPU, etc when they go so I always, always suggest getting the best, most expensive, and highest-rated unit as possible Where are you located Crash?
well, realistically zerokool, they're actually the least common thing to go wrong with a computer if you buy the right one. It's those multi-rail, cheap clone PSU's with 1200 watts and chinese capacitors that do PC's in. A good PSU will last you for years, and probably multiple PC builds.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
For sure, and oh how I wished people would adhere to the advice I spit forth so often but generally speaking they usually disregard it buy junk, and end up having loads of downtime, and RMA's, shipping fee's, Tech Support, etc. Eh, such is life I suppose.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
I'm not going to chant corsair like everyone here. It comes down to the OEM that makes it, not the sticker on the unit. Let me look and I will post my current top pick

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Actually I love ya bro but yes/no. After designing, assembling both non-OEM and OEM System's each and every day for a living, for last 10+ years I can assure you that it is half that yes, but it also comes down to Product Support/channel support, pricing, availability, aesthetics, QA @manufacturing level, and after taking all that into consideration the best VALUE right now is Corsair, period. If you live in the US, in my experience :)

Reactions: KrillFiend

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132&ignorebbr=1

High end build quality, Sirtec build OEM. 8/10 on the Russian scale.
$70

Another better option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182263&ignorebbr=1

Super flower OEM, even better build quality. Semi-modular. 9/10
$60 after MIR

750W budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073&ignorebbr=1
8/10 Non modular Super Flower OEM.

Russian Special of the Day!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017R&ignorebbr=1

Open box item, FULL modular 750W Super flower. 9.5/10 Russian Scale!
$92

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I'm in the US. I've had a CX500 as a starter for a couple years now, and there's never been a problem. I've done some research, and looked at what you guys have posted. i'm probably going to go with a 650W. Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Reactions: CitizenDad

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm in the US. I've had a CX500 as a starter for a couple years now, and there's never been a problem. I've done some research, and looked at what you guys have posted. i'm probably going to go with a 650W. Thanks so much for all your help!!!
For the love of Christ Roberts! Check your PMs!

Forgot your password?