Quest 2 has arrived!

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
So I never learned to type by feel. If I am wearing one of these Occulus things then what do I need to do when I have to use the keyboard (I use joysticks ingame for flying) and I am zipping and dodging about in the game?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So I never learned to type by feel. If I am wearing one of these Occulus things then what do I need to do when I have to use the keyboard (I use joysticks ingame for flying) and I am zipping and dodging about in the game?
Which game?

Typically if a game is VR friendly you do not need a keyboard.

Elite Dangerous is a good example of this, everything you need is done with the hotas.

Same for Star Wars Squadrons.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Which game?

Elite Dangerous is a good example of this, everything you need is done with the hotas.

Or just go super-lazy and use Voice Attack (paid) or one of the free alternatives (GAVPI or Vocals).

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Which game?

Hail dearest leader of VR Marketing!

I have a couple of questions, because I have the rare opportunity to ask for something to be hand-delivered to me from the US of A by a friend. I'm really considering getting one.
- is this geo-locked in any way? If yes, Could I ask you guys to make me a fake US FB account if necessary?
- how big is this packaged? Would it easily fit into a carry-on bag?
- what's a good shop to order this from (friend lives in Florida, near a place called Mars.city or something like that?)
- if I can get this thing, what accessories would you recommend? I'd order them while waiting for the friend to get here and get through all the quarantines and shit

Edit: just found a price from a local shop to me: 175k huf = 570usd for the 64gig version. See why I want to "import" one instead? lol
even if I account for the 10% import tax and 27% vat + around 10% profit it should be well below 500 USD...

Last edited:

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I got mine yesterday after 4 years with the CV1.
The screen is much better, I do not notice any screen door, but I think the FPS may be much lower.
Physical Comfort is about the same, I might try a cheap headband at some point as well.
Playing without wires is the big plus, I moved all my furniture and went hunting zombies.
Nausea seemed worse but I only have tried one game (Saints and Sinners) for more than 30 mins so I will keep a check on that.
Set up, guardian demarcation and software is much easier, the controllers seem less well balanced than my original ones.
I will get an extra long wire so I can play steam based games.
Does anyone have any comment on how it works through USB?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Works great through USB. I got a 20 foot cord that helps but it's really a pain to play games that require extensive movement. Id recommend going into the beta options on the Quest 2 and turning on 90hz. It helps with the frame issues. Also, the nausea is bad on certain games that use stick movement, I've gotten used to it but it still gets me from time to time. Ill normally take a break at that point.

Reactions: Rear_Intruder

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I did a bit of research and went in for another session, which lasted 53 mins.
When I was using the stick to move forward, I moved my legs up and down as if walking on the spot and moved my head a bit in time. When I turned I again made some random movements. The nausea was not a factor. I think I fooled my body into believing It was moving.

I was immersed completely for 10+ mins at a time, apart from the unbalanced controllers.

Again the guardian system was quick to set up and very good, I made a little V shape in it to indicate my preferred front facing point, That helped me reorient myself quickly when I got turned around.

Try not to picture the next part! I was doing this in the privacy of my own home in my shorts and T shirt (it gets hot). Mrs Intruder, soon to be "the late Mrs Intruder" sneakily videoed me and says she has shared it with my Sister in Law and her husband, who is my arch rival in all things gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarikDuvall

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Works great through USB. I got a 20 foot cord that helps but it's really a pain to play games that require extensive movement. Id recommend going into the beta options on the Quest 2 and turning on 90hz. It helps with the frame issues. Also, the nausea is bad on certain games that use stick movement, I've gotten used to it but it still gets me from time to time. Ill normally take a break at that point.
I will explore the Beta thank you.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Brought the headset over to the family cookout this weekend.

Both my brothers are now purchasing a Quest 2. lol

Also, 3rd party head straps have hit the market. Best prices are probably found at Aliexpress. I signed up for VRCovers newsletter so I know when their new head covers come out for the Quest 2 as I'm hearing good things about the new one being extremely comfy.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Just a heads up to anyone who got the Quest 2 and was waiting on a more comfortable facial interface ...

The VRCover set just went online this morning. They went with white cushion bands with a red facial interface. (I guess that's one way to fix the black dye problem, lol)

$36 shipped to your door. Get'em while they last.

• Love
Reactions: Chromeninja

Chromeninja

Admiral
Staff member
Officer
Aug 10, 2020
RSI Handle
Chromeninja
Just a heads up to anyone who got the Quest 2 and was waiting on a more comfortable facial interface ...

The VRCover set just went online this morning. They went with white cushion bands with a red facial interface. (I guess that's one way to fix the black dye problem, lol)

ooo let me know how you like it

Reactions: Harkonan

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

I would be interested in a thinner foam that could move the hmd closer to my eyes.

I see people saying that putting a spacer in to move it further away makes the sweet spot better, but for me its the opposite. If I press the hmd closer to my face, the FOV is better.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I would be interested in a thinner foam that could move the hmd closer to my eyes.

I see people saying that putting a spacer in to move it further away makes the sweet spot better, but for me its the opposite. If I press the hmd closer to my face, the FOV is better.
Yeah. You definitely get that binocular effect when I use the glasses spacer on the standard interface. I don't even really notice it while in game though.
Same with the Rod Rays. On some load screens and the icons on the main menu look "smeared" but as soon as Im in game, they disappear.

I'll probably have to use the thicker foam with my glasses but who knows. I think the plastic interface falls between the standard size and the wide interface in the fit pack. So that will probably determine that as well.

It's nice that they give you a slim and thick pad. I actually prefer that over having to take on and off the glasses extension.

Forgot your password?