Question about server memory.

Oberstleutnant

coolest dude
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
OberstLeutnant
I've recently bought a cheap dual-socket 771 server board, and want to use it for hosting servers for different games (modded Minecraft, TF2, etc) or running FreeNAS on it. I've done some research, and am 99% sure that I have the right memory, but 99% is still 99% and not 100%.
I have this motherboard:
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBE.cfm
And want to use this memory:
http://www.serverhome.nl/parts/memory/ddr2/4gb-4rx8-pc2-5300f-ddr2-667-ecc.html (8 or 16GB, not sure yet).
So for the actual question, will this work?

As a thank you in advance, enjoy this artist impression of Myre's sexual fantasies.

Reactions: mromutt

Oberstleutnant

coolest dude
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
OberstLeutnant
My shitposting game goes beyond the realm of regular shitposts.
Also thanks, now I can be 100% confident that I´m wasting my money on the correct RAM, instead of using it for important stuff. xd

Reactions: mromutt

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yep that *should* be the stuff!

Oberstleutnant

coolest dude
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
OberstLeutnant
Can I hijack my own thread? Sure I can.
In a somewhat related project I tried to set up a pfSense router, which works in every single way except the important one, namely it actually allowing devices to wirelessly connect.
This is what the system log shows when I try to connect to it with my phone. On my phone it endlessly says "obtaining IP address".

(also I'm a pleb and used this video: )

Toysrme

Captain
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Toysrme6v0
Only way to know is to try, or find someone that's had issues with the board / cpu / ram combo. (cpu on later xeons tho where the IMC went into the die)
Especially on older models, the IMC's were very picky on what ram they would work with.

From Westmere on wards (x56## & E7-#8##); enterprise hardware became much less picky as to what it would work with.

FireEmblem6

Captain
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
FireEmblem6
I had used pfsense a while back, but I can't remember how I got anything to work. I just know it was a pain in the ass the whole time, gave up, and switched to an Asus router.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
pfSense is ideally WAY more powerful, if you have some cheap dual core desktop from way back when sitting around, BUT as with everything that means you have to power it with time instead of money.
My family needed results NOW so i had to stop trying to make it work, never got all the way to any issues like that.
I'd still like to do it, but time is... Limited.

It looks like that RAM will work, but on something so old without an exact configuration that was known as good...
With Server's and Memory, especially ones that slow, its always best to just CRAM IT FULL of however much you can afford.
In this case, buy 2 sticks of 4GB to TEST, once it's working you should chuck more in before bothering to fully configure it.

Your Serious Shitposting is both notable, [CONCERN]ing, and hilarious.
Carry on?

Forgot your password?